Disappointed

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

AudioIrony

Post by AudioIrony »

I have owned the Pulsar II system for almost a month and have yet to actually create any music with it. All I seem to do is crash and re-install software. It's got to the point that I can't even drag a synth to a project without the Pulsar software freezing and me having to force it to quit. I'm really over it.
All appears to be fine if I don't have my sequencer software running at the same time.... but what the #$%^ am I supposed to use to create music (?)
Version 2.04 seems to also have a huge memory leak. My system (Mac OS 9) requires about 59MB of memory, however, after running the Pulsar environment for about 5 minutes and rechecking the system usage it has bloated to 125MB... I can't even load and view the manual!!!... Anyone else having this problem?
Mac G3/500MHz ; 228MB RAM ; ATI Rage 16MB ; 20GIG drive

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: Disappointed

Don't be too harsh on the pulsar yet, this could be any configuration hardware software computer conflict all working together to melt your little mac processor to a little pile of molten sillicon. Try reinstalling all software/hardware, maybe try an older version of the Pulsar software.

Post by Guest »

maybe get a cheap pc to run pulsar on. my pII 400 and bx chipset mobo are running it just great, 2.04 and cubase 5.0 running together with lots of tracks is actually pretty stable...

Post by Guest »

hmm.. reinstalled version 2.01 this morning.. all is well-ish again...as long as I don't switch between Pulsar and Cubase too much it's stable enough.... but it's a bit limiting

Post by Guest »

Subject: P II 300

I have a P II 300 with a 440 LX Mobo and 128 MB-Ram and it works Great !!!!!

Post by Guest »

Subject: ?

i don´t think that his problem is related to his computer hardware...

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: disappointed

Dude, your mac needs WAY more RAM than that...

I would suggest 384 mb. This is not Pulsar's fault.. I run mine on my PC with 256mb.. rather, it is the Mac's fault. Mac's are just memory hungry. A friend of mine was having probs with Pulsar and Mac, and pumping more RAM in there did the trick.

Also, try doing a CLEAN install.

Hope this helps

budz.
AudioIrony

Post by AudioIrony »

I already thought about maxing out my RAM... 384MB and intend to do this to see if it makes any difference. I ran Pulsar II with version 2.01 of the software solidly for about an hour without any problems. I also managed to run Rebirth & Reaktor with Pulsar and Cubase... who knew.... didn't even hic-up until I decided I needed just one more Pulsar synth..... CRASH... ah well.. I knew I was pusing it.....
I still believe the Pulsar software is very poorly written (just from a consumer perspective).. it's very flakey and the memory leaks mean that over time... you will crash.... it's just random... so save those projects!

Post by Guest »

yes, perhaps on Mac it's not quite as sorted as it is on the PC.

Over here on a p3 700, cusl-2 and 256mb, it runs great (2.04a). Mind you, I don't run a sequencer on it, although I used to.

I heard some rumours that the mac version uses some kind of dodgy PC emulation mode. I stress this is not confirmed, but I've heard quite a few bad reports from Mac users. Some, however, are using it with no problems. Go figure.

And I thought the Mac was supposed to exhibit standard behaviour for all users. LOL!

budz