tascam daw

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

i am planning to upgrade my current system(cel 466) to an athlon 1ghz with a-bit k7 raid motherboard, further i am gonna buy the tascam us-428 for a vst/pulsar controller, but its a usb controller, so i hope it wont affect pci performance.....does anyone have any experience with the tascam us-428 and pulsar?

jacob

Post by Guest »

Subject: use search for usb-428 and via chipsets ;) ...

--->i am planning to upgrade my current system(cel 466) to an athlon 1ghz with a-bit k7 raid motherboard, further i am gonna buy the tascam us-428 for a vst/pulsar controller, but its a usb controller, so i hope it wont affect pci performance.....does anyone have any experience with the tascam us-428 and pulsar?
jacob <---

wow. both things you want to do are some critical... Lotuz once posted here that he has extreme difficulties with running the us-428 together with pulsar. the usb-controller is connected via the pci-bbus to the system. and the mobo you want to buy uses the via kt133 chipset, from which creamware says that it has problems with pci-performance.
;) and you hope it won´t affect pci-performance ...?
which chipset is on your current motherboard? if it´s intel (LX or BX or similar slot1-chipset), you can upgrade with a celeron cpu (up to 800mhz i think).
if you want to change to an amd-cpu (no question why... ;), the only way not to buy via chipsets for actual amd-processors is an irongate-board (amd750) with socket a. the only one i know is from gigabyte, the 7IXE4. or you spent some more money and get one of the new 760-boards from asus, gigabyte, or msi (around 250€), but they need the new ddr-sdram modules (also around 250€ for 128mb...).

i always used intel-system for making music, but it´s very very sad to watch the prices for the ghz-cpu´s fall and fall - just not for intel´s...
my decision since then: intel only for music. next month i´ll buy a duron for all the other stuff...

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: use search for usb-428 and via chipsets ;) ...

thanks for the response, right now i have a abit bp6 dual celeron, but due to creamware not supporting other os than win 95/98 i cant use it in smp mode(dual processor)..

Post by Guest »

but you still can make a multi-boot-system. run win98 for pulsar and whatever smp supporting os you want.

Post by Guest »

i know, but i desperately need some extra mhz for my music making, and now i got the money. But i think i will buy the athlon(with another mobo than k7).Im going to look for a motherboard where the pci perfomance is independent of the usb

Post by Guest »

Subject: Asus CUSL2-C mobo solved my PCI-master-overflow problem

I got so sick of that other PC (PIII 750 with MSI MS6156VA mobo (VIA693A chipset)) that I sold it to a retiring colleague and bought a new PC with Asus CUSL2-C mobo. Never seen that PCI-master-overflow message again! The US-428 works fine as controller for Cubase VST while running the Pulsar II. I haven't tried it yet with the Pulsar II controls though. But why don't you get a programmable MIDI controller like a Kenton Control Freak, the BitStream Pro or one of the others?