dNa Tape and optimus run on Scope 3.1

dNa Devices discussion & support

Moderators: valis, RA

dante

Re: dNa Tape and optimus run on Scope 3.1

Post by dante »

That's a good motto. Also depends on what else you run on DAW because you will find it harder to update anything whilst staying on XP. Even if your PC dies - would you still try to re setup XP on new hardware ?

At some stage you could think about Win8 which will let you setup dual boot where you keep XP as it is. That's what I did so that you can reboot back to XP if theres something not working on XP.

In reality I found I rarely needed to boot XP at all, but I am glad I got a working Win8 setup before I did upgrade the hardware ( to a Win 8 setup only ).

I would have hated to have a hardware crash on old PC without having done the W8 stuff first. And I would not have been able to do it at all without Scope 5.1

With win8 dual boot, no bridges need be burnt until you've crossed the river.
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

geoffd99 wrote:It's a cost issue as I have a stable Scope 4 and stable is good for Scope 8-)

So I don't fancy spending 150 Euros for an OS rebadge (since 4 works fine) and then a few weeks stress getting it all to work (losing third party plugins from old days as well) - for what? To get a couple of effects, great as they are, this overhead is not worth it (100 +150 eu plus disruption and so on).

Motto: if it ain't broke don't fix it
the main reason to upgrade to 5.1 would be driver compatibility with win 7 and later, then as a second reason, with 5.1 there are included by default some good plugins such as minimax, profit 5, optimaster, etc. that on previous scope version were optional.

Older third party plugins will run on scope v5.1, if they require a key, S|C support will generate one for free, you have just to forward your keyfile asking for conversion.

I too have the older pci cards on a pc from 2004, it can't run win 7, so i dual booted with 2 xp versions, one with scope v4.5 and another one with scope v5.1, it runs flawlessly and i only start with the v4.5 boot when i need to do something with scope sdk v4, anything else is fine in v5 and all my old devices are working good.
geoffd99

Post by geoffd99 »

Yes I'll do that when I change the actual PC which is an older XP. I already paid top price for all the plugins so the bundle is not relevant. I think the older plugins like Celmo can't get new keys (Celmo are great inc. a flexible vintage tape delay), this is why there are no new keys for the dna tape looper which I was after for this older system.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Geoff
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

geoffd99 wrote:Yes I'll do that when I change the actual PC which is an older XP. I already paid top price for all the plugins so the bundle is not relevant. I think the older plugins like Celmo can't get new keys (Celmo are great inc. a flexible vintage tape delay), this is why there are no new keys for the dna tape looper which I was after for this older system.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Geoff
i agree with you, but i too have celmo plugins and they work on v 5.1, btw they don't use the key registration, they just have your name on top of the GUI.
geoffd99

Post by geoffd99 »

Yes I thought of that key method for the dna ones, but they have not replied to my emails.

Is there anyone from dna here, hello? Your dna Facebook page is not findable, I sent a msg via FB but your website.

Can split the cash with Scope obviously.

I fancy the dna tape echo as I used to have a Wem Copicat, the UI is modeled on that.

Thanks!
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Why not just PM him here? That's what I do.
geoffd99

Post by geoffd99 »

Doh! never thought of that, just did it, thanks :lol:
RA

Post by RA »

Hi Geoff,

indeed i am not receiving mails through the dnasite,
don't know what happened there....will check that.
So..it was good contacting me directly through pm here ;-)

grtz,ray
- We're freaks about gearz and methods -
More on dNa: http://dnamusic.nl
geoffd99

Post by geoffd99 »

Hi Ray
yes, why not do a key like Celmo for the older Scope systems, the keys are named for the buyer. Then can still do Scope purchasing if they are bothered about that.
There are a lot of people still using older Scopes due to stability issues, and probably huge time overhead of upgrading for no particular gain, and large cost .
In my case, yours are the only plugins of interest since some of the DAS ones (ie retro recreations).

Thanks
RA

Post by RA »

Hi Geoff,

i don't know how Celmo works the keys....because the only thing what i could do then is take out the protection,
and make an unprotected device (with names in it). That means making/packing a device for each user, and have a
great risk that that will be shared for free; there is no way in controlling this, and it is not in my nature NOT to trust people, but....
if you let jack out of the box....well...i hope you understand. And if the plugs are updated, i'd have to do that with every user again.

As i read on the forum SC is able to generate keys for your plugs (as i understand no extra cost for that) you own if you purchase the 5.1 update from them,
and all is up to date then, and protection shouldn't be a problem then.

I will address this with SC, maybe there is another solution/protection.

Grtz,
ray
astroman

Post by astroman »

Celmo, EarlyFirst, DeVice, SpaceF (before Shop), Wavelength and Wolf used the personalization scheme mentioned
which (of course) puts customers in responsibility...
imho it's a valid approach - even more since international payment has improved so much
your concerns are valid, too
but (imho) except a missing share for Sonic Core there's few impact - the products don't fit the usual 'collector' scheme
RML Labs do it this way with SAW Studio (a > $1k DAW) for years and I'm not aware of any piracey issues
in fact I can't tell how much I appreciate this 'mode' - devices of those mentioned are still among my most used
(noone want's his/her name spread on the net in piracey context)

cheers, Tom
RA

Post by RA »

I contacted celmo for his thoughts on this, so i'm not totally against this way. Mainly....because i want people to have an opportunity
in creating music with these plugins > that's what they are for ;-)

But i also don't want to bump anyone's head, because if these plugins get out in the open, the buyers, who support dNa / S|C by buying the plugins
would feel....well....you know what i mean. It works several ways. And if you can get new keys for all your purchased plugins along with the purchase
of an update to 5.1....well....what is the need then...imho if it runs good on 4.x, there should be no stability problem updating to 5.1....or what am i not getting here....(except for mac users ofcourse)

For my view / considerations:
How much users of the older CW platform, so not using S|C 5.x platform are interested in running dNa plugins on their platform? PM me please, so
i can have an indication/overview of this.....and it is not said that i'll come forwards with this solution, but i want to make an honest decision in this.

I appreciate anyone's thoughts on this, thanks tom ;-)
geoffd99

Post by geoffd99 »

I am VERY happy with my system and am not going to interfere (sorry - upgrade) with it, for no gain at all. Sorry Scope marketing plans!

As for the personalised plugins, yes Celmo etc trust me (and the rest of you) and the Scope community is quite close knit. There are plenty of free devices out there for sharing, people protect their own investment, and this is a tiny user group of well-off people. We are not 14 yr olds with a load of cracked software.

So I vote for personalised plugins!
hubird

Post by hubird »

Sure, but the risk is completely at the developer's side...
geoffd99

Post by geoffd99 »

Yes the risks are obvious. As a maker and seller of general computer (Win/Mac) software, I know what the situation is.

With a closed user group like this one, (ie, very small numbers of users, all have invested in expensive hardware locked system) the value of a pirate version is zero. No-one else (outside of this user group ie CW/Scope card owners) can use it, so it not same as Win/Mac software.

Incidentally, Ableton etc are in a situation where they know their software will be cracked in days, or even before official release, but still exist as a commercial company. If there is some relationship of value between the comapny and the user, people will pay, even thpgh they could get hold of a cracked copy.

In this case, DNA provide a relationship - through existing at all, as so few companies make stuff for Scope - so reduce chance of fraud.

Also if a buyer provided a link to download a copy, would immediate give away the name of the original buyer.

Also also, if I mention Scope to my muso friends they either laugh or say 'who?'

8-)
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Personally I would leave it as is. Do not open up the devices. Sorry, but if people can't invest a little to keep Scope afloat maybe it's not that important to their work-flow. Scope 3.1 to 5.1 has caused no problems whatsoever on XP, more than can be said for a lot of software with more frequent and costly updates. There really is no reason not to update imo.
geoffd99

Post by geoffd99 »

Yes I agree, I would love to update but it costs £150.
And is bound to lead to endless dicking about --- by my experience, installing several CW card system on several different systems since around 97, getting it to work properly is a hobby in itself. (Sorry is not my job, so can't bill a client for the time spent).

I am not married to Scope (although this is legal now in many EU countries) so why should I give them £150 and a load of my very scarce time?

My interest is a key for an echo unit... lol.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I think it took me all of half an hour to get 5.0 running from 4.5 (and no time at all from 3.1c to 4.5). The only issue I had was that I had to select the 5.0 driver as it was still looking at the 4.5 driver, which took all of a couple of minutes to find.

You don't have to give anyone anything, although if you're a bit canny you wait for the deals. I bought the 4.5 upgrade which included a free 5.0 upgrade for €99. Equally there's also little incentive for anyone to do something for you. Sure dNa get one more sale, but at the expense of his time (which he will get no extra money for) and the risk of opening the device.
garyb

Post by garyb »

geoffd99 wrote:so why should I give them £150 and a load of my very scarce time?
because that's what keeps the company around so that you can have your new echo device. you want new stuff? pay for it. jmho...
astroman

Post by astroman »

that's exactly what I did with all good Scope stuff...
yet it did NOT work out as intended
I've recently been shocked about how strong those EarlyFirst reverbs still stand today
Warp's story is well known - he went the shop way and failed due to lack of 'resonance'
today his devices are bundled with V5
(that's why I said it doesn't really matter - the true buyer base is extremely small)
a different 'modus operandi' won't change this either ;)
to be honest: it's a thing I never did and probably never will understand...

cheers, Tom