Russian Dragon on Pulsar

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dblbass

Post by dblbass »

There is a nifty little box called a Russian Dragon (see http://www.russiandragon.com).

Basically, this thing compares the attack time of individual notes of two audio signals which are ostensibly playing the same rhythmic pattern, and displays whether the second is ahead or behind the first,(rushin' or draggin'), sensitive to 1ms (0.1 claimed for the high-end version). The thing has a variety of uses.

It occurs to me that it would be real easy to do this in a pulsar device. Of course for one use, measuring timing problems at various points in a signal path, there are plenty of ways to do that with other computer tools and tricks, Pulsar and otherwise. However, with its array of LEDs indicating in realtime the magnitude and direction of time difference, one clever use of this box is as a visual feedback training tool for instrumentalists looking to improve their control over fine timing.

In my case, I still work hard to master a non-virtual instrument (guess which one :smile: ) and sometimes use my DAW kit as an audio lab or pedagogical aide. Somthing like this would be a godsend to me.

Anybody ever seen something with functionality like this in an existing pulsar device? Or any of the Scope genuises among us willing to try to knock one up?

Cheers
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Should be possible, the only potential issue is the licensing; not sure if you could make a similiar product legally unless maybe it was a free one, but still a little hazy.

Interesting little tool though, thank you for the link.