EASI vs ASIO? (by Col)

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

I'm using a Creamware Pulsar II card (Pulsar software version 2.04a)with Logic Audio Platinum 4.6.1 on Windows ME, and the EASI drivers still don't seem to work properly (Ultra-high latency and now low volume throughput when compared to ASIO). It's not a drastically important issue since the ASIO drivers work fine ATM, but I'm just curious to know what advantage (or potential advantage) EASI has (or might have) over ASIO, if any. The Creamware manual gives the impression that EASI is a better solution to use with Logic, but that's not true on my system at the moment. It seems to me that (since LA v4.5) EASI is just being used as a way of talking to the Windows MME, but it seems a bit pointless to use this if you need low latency and your hardware is able to use ASIO drivers!

On the other hand, maybe I've misunderstood, and that EASI was never intended to compete with ASIO? Anyone know more about this?

Regards

Col

Post by Guest »

Subject: EASI

One thing is that using EASI allows you to use Pulsar's DSP power to assist Logic if you want.

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: EASI

How do you get rid of the latency with EASI in Logic 4.6.1?

Post by Guest »

Subject: What Latency?

I don't really get any. I'm set at the middle setting of ULLI, which is 6ms at 48khz, and it's unnoticeable.

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: What Latency?

I'm talking about the real time latency when playing VST instruments - I get it with EASI, but not with ASIO.

Post by Guest »

Subject: Latency w/EASI...

Interesting. I don't really use any VST instruments. I don't see a need to with all of the synths in Pular. I wonder if the VST instrument latency is somehow connected to the proprietary ASIO drivers, since they're both made by Steinberg?
Do you get the latency problems using Pulsar's synths in EASI?

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: Latency w/EASI...

Yep, sometimes I use VST instruments (I find them better soundin' and more convenient than pulsar's modules), and that when EASI doesn't work. Only with ASIO I can play&record with those VSTi in real time.