What a long way we've come eh?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Neil B

What a long way we've come eh?

Post by Neil B »

I was working on a track the other day - you know, autopan on this, stereo delay on that and so on.
My dear wife Janice suddenly made us feel old.
"Can you remember" she said "when stereo first came out and you could get those demo records where a steam train went from one speaker to the other?"
I then remembered the first stereo LP's coming out with a little pink sticker on the sleeve saying "stereo" and then my mind jumped forward to 1974 and watching ELP perform the Brain Salad Surgery gig in quadrophonic (my ears never recovered).

We've come a long long way in my time & I'm not even 90 years old yet :-)

So, what are your memories ????????????
wayne

Re: What a long way we've come eh?

Post by wayne »

I'm a '65 model myself, Neilski, so my main impression as a youngster was that there was cool and crazy music coming out of a little radio with valves in it - sounded juicy :)

A little later, when we got a tape deck with vu and L.E.D. metering, the whole family turned the telly off and watched the little lights dance to the music (Earth, Wind & Fire as i recall).
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I remember barely staying awake to watch the moon landing - in black-n-white.
I remember hot-wiring my 8-track tape player to be able to play 4 'stereo' tracks in one direction.
I remember when cassettes were supposed to mean the end of the recording industry.

It just goes on and on...

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

'66 myself... CB radio in the house with a HUGE antenna on the roof, a TV you needed a pair of pliars to change the channel, Roger Miller on 8 track, my parents Bill Cosby & Robert Gulet on vinyl...sleeping on the floor in the front seat of our '66 Toronado (the family car!) with no seatbelt on the way to a summer vacation...crammed in a two bedroom lake house with 7 other kids...all cousins, aunts & uncles, great aunts & uncles present for the Mem day, 4th, & Labor day festivities...

Now our cousins hardly call each other (I probably do the most "staying in touch")..but it's Weddings & Fulerals and not so much even then...we are now spread out from California to Pennsylvania... :wink: aaahhh the memories... :)
Joel
dawman

Post by dawman »

I remember my Mom dancing around to the Beatles on an AM transistor radio, well at least until the old man got home and put an end to that shit.
Getting to to see the 3 Stooges in Black & White was my fav, I still watch 'em.
Having MIDI and a hardware sequencer in '84 was the biggest thrill of all though.
To think I can program that beast still in the dark and can't find my way around Cubase on a 20" LCD is a sign of far I haven't come.............. :lol:
It's been a great trip and I wouldn't trade ot for all of the Tea In China.
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

I can't remember anything, but with the amount of shrooms i've been intaking over the years this won't qualify as being surprising :o which reminds me that i'm out of anti-depressors... :cry:
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

8 - tracks .............. I'd forgotten about them! Now that takes me back again to my post mods & rockers days.
Oh how I miss my Lambretta SX150
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

'72 model here. I remember how much time I spent in august 1989 winding and rewinding a tape in my Sony walkman to transcribe a solo piano piece by Keith Emerson. I came across a film score album (Murderock?) by Emerson in the legendary recordstore Toots, here in Bergen, and that song, "Theme for Cantice" or something like that, was so beautiful in my ears that I urged to be able to play it. I still have that handwritten paper with my transcription, date and my signature. This was the first full piece I could play on the piano.

Last night, I loaded Herbie Hancock's original recording of the tune "Dolphin dance" in Wavelab on my Scope machine. By moving around the locators and looping sections, it only took me a couple og hours to get down the first round of the chorus, part 2, I will do today.

Technology has come a long way since '89, although I am sure there were programs for the Ataris and Macs back then which could have assisted me in transcribing music. I just could not afford a machine at that time.