Cannot install Xite-1 driver

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

hesnotthemessiah

Cannot install Xite-1 driver

Post by hesnotthemessiah »

I received the Xite-1 today and have tried installing it in both my PCIEx1 and PCIEx2 slots but always get the message:- Neither of the following devices found: "Sonic Core Xite-1" when it comes to installing the driver. :-?

I followed the instructions as best as I could:-

1)installed the card
2)connected card to Xite-1 via supplied cable and made sure all connections (card and cable) were good
3)switched on Xitre-1
4)switched on PC
5)inserted CDROM into PC once the desktop appeared
6)double clicked CDROM icon and followed instructions - Scope5 software and plugins were installed.
7)then the driver installation procedure automatically started but as soon as I selected "next" to begin installation the error message appeared.

My installation procedure was slightly different to that described in the installation manual:-

Page 25 no.2 mentions says insert the CDROM and click on the option to "open directory to show files" into the upcomming dialog box. Click on the icon SetupStart with the right mouse-button and chose "open as administrator" in the menu.

I never got any option to "open directory to show files" and never got an SetupStart icon to right mouse click on. I never saw an "open as administrator" option.

Page 26 no.3 Then it says click on the option "accept" in the upcoming confirmation message.

Never got this option.

page 30-31 no.11/12/13/14 got none of this. Once all the Scope software and plugins were installed, I only got the message "This installer will install the SCOPE driver on your computer. Click "Next" to continue or "Cancel" to exit. I seleced "Next" and then got the error message.

I am using Windows XP Service Pack3. CDROM is dated 25 May 2009. Page numbers are from the installation manual hard copy not the PDF. The Xite-1 is the first thing I have tried to install into my brand new Scan Intel Core i7 PC's PCIE slots.

I will email this message to Ralf.
cortone

Re: Cannot install Xite-1 driver

Post by cortone »

hesnotthemessiah,

I don't have an XITE, but maybe this would help?

First, uninstall the Scope software, and re-boot. I think it will need to have the drivers installed first, at least the PCI cards do.

Then, once the cd is in the drive, right-click on the icon, and choose 'explore.'
(THis should accomplish the open directory part of the pdf.)

Next, right-click on the SetupStart file as indicated in your post. Hopefully at this point the "administrator" option will appear, and things can proceed more like the instructions describe.

Cory
hesnotthemessiah

I just cannot install the drivers, wether I try to install the drivers before I install the plugins and Scope software or visa versa. I always get the message Neither of the following devices found: "Sonic Core Xite-1" when I try to load the drivers.

I really need to converse with someone who has successfully installed an Xite-1 so that I can go through with them what their actual procedure was. My installation procedure pretty much follows what is described in the installation manual upto page 29 section 10 - the point at which the driver is installed. At this point I get a message about the driver being installed next but when I select to install I get the message Neither of the following devices found: "Sonic Core Xite-1" . The installation manual says nothing about the message I recieve about installing the driver next. Instead it says the following - none of which appears for me:-

once the software has been installed, next on page 30 section 11:-

After the restart the dialog for the hardware installation opens. Click on "search driver". >>>Continue.

then on page 30 section 12:-

The hardware will be recognised as multimedia controller. Click on "don't search online".

then on page 31 section 13:-

A confirmation message appears. Click the option "install the driver anyhow". The driver will be installed. Finish in the finalized installation with a click on "close" in to the following box.

then on page 31 section 14:-

A confirmation message appears. Click the option "install the driver anyhow". The driver will be installed. Finish in the finalized installation with a click on "close" in to the following box.

Yes, the same instructions as section 13.

I think that the Xite-1 is recognised as a multimedia controller not as an Xite1 (as explained in the installation manual). When I try to install the driver it is trying to install a driver for an Xite-1 not a multimedia controller. Because I don't get any of the messages on pages 30 and 31 of the installation manual about "don't search online" and "install the driver anyhow" I am unable to install Xite-1!

I am logged in as a computer administrator on my PC
cortone

Post by cortone »

hntm,

I agree about needing help from a user, but I think they are far a few between at this point. (What's your serial number, btw? Just curious!)

Assuming you are on XP, I'll make one last suggestion, which is to try and manually install the drivers by going to the device manager (right-click on My Computer, choose Manage, and then Device Manager when the window comes up), and right-clicking on the "multimedia soundcard" entry that should be your XITE. Choose "Update drivers" and navigate to the driver folder on the install cd (you'll need to know this in advance). See if this kickstarts the process.

If you are on Vista, I don't know what the status is for compatibility, but there should be a similar process to get to the device manager.

Anyway, I hope someone will chip in and help you out!

Cory
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

I haven't got mine yet...I wish I could be of more help..I'm starting to wonder...cabling?? Try Ralf...he would know better than anyone. I have not read, from anyone actually w/ an XITE, with that issue yet. Hell...It might happen to me, when mine arrives!
lots of love for u & your mum...still I pray.. :wink:
Joel
cortone

Post by cortone »

Hmmm, another idea, and then I'll really shut up ~8^)

Are there drivers for the PCIe card that need to be installed?

Cory
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I just installed the drivers manually rather than relying on Windoze to try to be boss and help you install the drivers.

As long as the card is installed, and the unit is on, you should be able to simply install the drivers manually.
Just go to the folder where the drivers are located, and install from there.

After installation, when you start the program, have your key ready.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

good idea.
another thing.. is the pcie cable is ok?
hesnotthemessiah

Thanks for all the help and kind words fellow Zers. :)

cortone wrote:hntm,

I agree about needing help from a user, but I think they are far a few between at this point. (What's your serial number, btw? Just curious!)

Assuming you are on XP, I'll make one last suggestion, which is to try and manually install the drivers by going to the device manager (right-click on My Computer, choose Manage, and then Device Manager when the window comes up), and right-clicking on the "multimedia soundcard" entry that should be your XITE. Choose "Update drivers" and navigate to the driver folder on the install cd (you'll need to know this in advance). See if this kickstarts the process.

If you are on Vista, I don't know what the status is for compatibility, but there should be a similar process to get to the device manager.

Cory
My serial number is 9KC09XL0M.

I don't have a "multimedia soundcard" entry in my Device Manager:-

I am on Windows XP SP3.
netguyjoel wrote:I haven't got mine yet...I wish I could be of more help..I'm starting to wonder...cabling?? Try Ralf...he would know better than anyone. I have not read, from anyone actually w/ an XITE, with that issue yet. Hell...It might happen to me, when mine arrives! lots of love for u & your mum...still I pray.. :wink:

I am wondering if it is a dodgy cable or PCIE card that is the problem..... :-? Or, even worse,dodgy PCIE slots? This is a brand new PC and I have no other PCIE devices to test my PCIE slots with. Have tried Xite1 on both my PCIEx1 and PCIEx2 slots and have the same problem. The two PCIEx16 slots are in use with graphics cards and are working fine. Maybe I could uninstall one of my graphics cards and try the Xite1 PCIE card in one of those instead? Not that I really want to go through the hell of reinstalling my graphics card and setting it all up again afterwards!

I am in contact with Ralf (the holy one) at the moment......

cortone wrote:Hmmm, another idea, and then I'll really shut up ~8^)

Are there drivers for the PCIe card that need to be installed?

Cory
siriusbliss wrote:I just installed the drivers manually rather than relying on Windoze to try to be boss and help you install the drivers.

As long as the card is installed, and the unit is on, you should be able to simply install the drivers manually.
Just go to the folder where the drivers are located, and install from there.

After installation, when you start the program, have your key ready.

Greg
No matter how I start driver installation, I always get the message " Neither of the following devices found: "Sonic Core Xite-1" "
firubbi wrote:good idea.
another thing.. is the pcie cable is ok?
I hope so!! Any way of knowing?
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

I never got any option to "open directory to show files" and never got an SetupStart icon to right mouse click on. I never saw an "open as administrator" option
--------------------

sounds like virus scanner;

if you have one installed -> deinstall and try to install driver first than put back the virus SW;

hope this helps vibes
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

tgstgs wrote:I never got any option to "open directory to show files" and never got an SetupStart icon to right mouse click on. I never saw an "open as administrator" option
--------------------
don't know if virus scanners disable context menu entries, but you'll never know...

to browse the cd content without invoking the autorun feature (which I would recommend turning off anyway) you should be able to open MyComputer on the desktop, select your cd drive, right click on it and select "Explorer", not "Start" (or "Run" ?). the setup program in the cd root (I assume there is one) should be runnable as administrator by right clicking it and select "run as..".

I'm mostly confused by the fact that you don't see an unknown device (with a yellow exclamation mark) in your device manager. this should be flagged as multimedia controller, since its pci identifier (generally) reflects the device class. I would _not_ expect the multimedia controller to appear as generic multimedia controller in the sound and vidoe section, unless the driver is really installed and loaded, and that would identify the card as XITE then. if the device is really missing it would explain that a manual driver install does not find a xite at all...

so there are 3 components possibly being faulty: the pcie host card (this one is driverless), the cable, or the xite itself.

from the picture I would guess the xite to pcie connector is a HDMI socket (seemed to be DVI before, in the first engineering samples), and the host card connector is still DVI, so you could ask ralf if it was safe to try a generic DVI to HDMI cable to rule out the cable first.

you could also try to boot a knoppix (or the like) live cd and issue an "lspci" in a console to see if there is anything on your pci bus at all.

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
hesnotthemessiah

tgstgs wrote:I never got any option to "open directory to show files" and never got an SetupStart icon to right mouse click on. I never saw an "open as administrator" option
--------------------

if you have one installed -> deinstall and try to install driver first than put back the virus SW;

hope this helps vibes

I have Kaspersky Anti Virus which I switched off when I tried to install the Xite-1 stuff. Please could you explain your Xite-1 installation procedure - where did it differ to what is explained in the installation manual? Thanks tgstgs :wink:
kylie wrote:
to browse the cd content without invoking the autorun feature (which I would recommend turning off anyway) you should be able to open MyComputer on the desktop, select your cd drive, right click on it and select "Explorer", not "Start" (or "Run" ?). the setup program in the cd root (I assume there is one) should be runnable as administrator by right clicking it and select "run as..".
I can do all that but as soon as I try to run the driver installation I always get the message Neither of the following devices found: "Sonic Core Xite-1"
kylie wrote: I'm mostly confused by the fact that you don't see an unknown device (with a yellow exclamation mark) in your device manager. this should be flagged as multimedia controller, since its pci identifier (generally) reflects the device class. I would _not_ expect the multimedia controller to appear as generic multimedia controller in the sound and vidoe section, unless the driver is really installed and loaded, and that would identify the card as XITE then. if the device is really missing it would explain that a manual driver install does not find a xite at all...

so there are 3 components possibly being faulty: the pcie host card (this one is driverless), the cable, or the xite itself.

from the picture I would guess the xite to pcie connector is a HDMI socket (seemed to be DVI before, in the first engineering samples), and the host card connector is still DVI, so you could ask ralf if it was safe to try a generic DVI to HDMI cable to rule out the cable first.

you could also try to boot a knoppix (or the like) live cd and issue an "lspci" in a console to see if there is anything on your pci bus at all.

-greetings, markus-
Yes, I really think it is either the Xite-1 PCIE card, the Xite-1 HDMI/DVI cable or the actual PCIE slots (tried the x1 and x2 slots) which have a fault. I am currently in correspondence with Ralf and am waiting on a reply about the cable type. Sorry, I don't understand any of this :-? :- a knoppix (or the like) live cd and issue an "lspci" in a console to see if there is anything on your pci bus at all. Thanks for your help. :wink:
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

Sorry, I don't understand any of this :-? :- a knoppix (or the like) live cd and issue an "lspci" in a console to see if there is anything on your pci bus at all. Thanks for your help. :wink:
I mean a linux live cd like the famous Knoppix distribution that runs from cd without touching your system.
you can start this in a console only mode (like the old dos prompt) and issue the command "lspci" which gives you a more or less detailed view of devices found on your pci bus; integrated peripherals as well as expansion cards. if there is nothing pointing to a xite or at least a pcie to pci bridge (not the onboard intel bridge), your computer does not see anything, which would make the "no xite found" message while installing the driver reasonable.
there are tools like that for windows as well, I'm sure, but I can't name any right now...
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
cortone

Post by cortone »

hntm,

I agree with your conclusions about the cable, card or slot. The only other option to be broken is the...no, I won't go there. Definitely no fun, whatever the problem turns out to be.

This conclusion is supported by your device manager screen-cap: there is no unknown device there so the OS is not seeing it.

A quick check of the slot on the main board would be to find another PCIe device to drop in and see if that is recognized. Anywhere you could borrow a card to try? A simple networking card might only be a few pounds, and returnable if you pick it up at the right store.

Is the serial number from your allkeys file, or from the back of your box? Siriusbliss has 000024, and XITE-1/4live has 000001 from the back of their units.

Do you have the same impression of quality construction and components that Siriusbliss has reported?

Cory
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

"The only other option to be broken is the...no, I won't go there."

+1...I'm not goin' there.... :wink:
Joel
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, i'd guess cable, too.
are you sure that the pci-e card is fully installed?
hesnotthemessiah

I bought another DVI-D to HDMI cable:- http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48585

The cable that comes supplied with the Xite-1 is a DVI-D Dual Link Male connector to HDMI male connector. The Maplins cable is exactly the same. I tested the cable that came with the Xite-1 at Maplins. I used a DVD player with a HDMI output and a monitor with a DVI-D input. The Xite-1 cable did not work. I then swapped it for an identical looking Maplins cable and it worked.

So I bought the Maplins cable for £29.99. Happy that this may well have solved my problem.........................................

I plugged the Maplins cable into my XITE-1 and it's PCIE card. Switched on my PC and then it hung before the Windows XP screen appeared. Left it hanging for a few minutes then switched off the PC. Switched on the PC again. This time it hung with the standard Windows XP screen that appears before I login to the Windows desktop. Switched off the PC. Switched it on again. This time it got as far as me logging in and the Windows desktop appearing then it hung. I switched off the PC.

With the Xite-1 switched off but the card still in the PC and connected to the Xite-1, I switched on the PC and everything worked fine - with no Xite-1 PCIE card detected.

So it seems that the Xite-1 is detected when it is switched on and connected to it's PCIE card via the Maplins DVI-D to HDMI cable.

I cannot find anyone I know who has a PC with a PCIE x1 slot that I can test the Xite-1 on. I even tried my local Computer Point (repair centre) who were absolutely useless. I explained I had a problem with my PCIE soundcard and asked if they had a PC with a PCIEx1 slot that I could try it out on. They said they didn't have a PC with a PCIEx1 slot. They then offered to let me borrow a video card to try on my PC. I pointed out that this was a video card which has a PCIEx16 connector and I needed to test the PCIEx1 and PCIx2 slots. It took about 10 minutes of explaining by me for them to realise that there were different PCIE connector types. :P

I will email these details to Sonic Core and see if they can help. next step is to buy a PCIE network card for about £10 to see if the PC's PCIEx1 and PCIEx2 slots recognise a different PCIE card.

I am extremely p****d off at the moment! :evil:
hesnotthemessiah

kylie wrote:if there is nothing pointing to a xite or at least a pcie to pci bridge (not the onboard intel bridge), your computer does not see anything, which would make the "no xite found" message while installing the driver reasonable.
Using the latest free version of Everest under Devices/PCI Devices there are 9 PCI/PCI Bridge listed but no PCIE to PCI Bridge. Under Devices/Windows Devices and Devices/Device Resources there are various PCI Express things listed all of which do not make any sense to me. :-?
garyb

Post by garyb »

the new cable may have an improper pinout. this is a problem for Ralf, i'm sorry to say...
dawman

Post by dawman »

Dude.........such a nice PC and a new XITE-1.....I would be steaming myself.
I can only say you have a kick but bunch of hardware, and once things get sorted out you'll be stylin'.
I sure hope I don't run into this crap when I do a new rebuild.
Makes me want to stay w/ SP2 and the 3GB Switch.

Good Luck Brotha' Man HNTM.... :)