UAD/2 arrived at resellers today in Europe

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

Septic

UAD/2 arrived at resellers today in Europe

Post by Septic »

the UAD/2 has arrived at the shops today, will be available for consumers very soon...

the UAD/2 Quad is compareable with the XITE i think.10x the power of an UAD1

not soniccore releated, but maybe for some interest for the same enduser market as the scope heritage
Septic

Re: UAD/2 arrived at resellers today in Europe

Post by Septic »

stardust wrote::o Are you proposing to use the saved money for UAD2 instead ?
As long as the ASBs arent bug fixed ,..........yes and no, no because I must first read the early adapter reviews.

3000 Euro is a lot of money if I dont have a guarantee of a bugfree product.....
And since SonicCore never reacted to the bugs of the ASBs and fixes made bij de UseAudio Plugiator, that doesnt have the bugs anymore, I am tending not to go out and buy and XITE1

Its a shame because the ASBs are supersynths, and Scope I always loved
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

keep in mind that soniccore is not the same as creamware.

Soniccore is a small group of old creamware developers.

Creamware at the end was almost without developers.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Let me get this right, it is at the shops in Europe today, but will be available for consumers soon?

That confuses me....Are the shops all tesing them for review or something? :-?

I bet Holger and boys feel like someone broke a stick off up their butts. :lol:

I am glad to see any DSP based products actually. It might be what was needed to make VSTi developers try for a higher quality product too. Where would we be w/o AMD? We sure couldn't afford to upgrade as often as I have enjoyed lately.
Septic

Post by Septic »

available at 17:00 here in Holland the site for regging will be openend also at 17:00 local dutch time

I know soniccore isnot creamware, but they do sell the ASBs with the Soniccore brandname on it?
So they do take the money...and are responisible for the bug fixing imo

It is not a new fact, it is well known for some years now...
I think that there isnt any time invested in the ASB range (besides putting a new logo on it) since 02-2006
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

Septic wrote:I know soniccore isnot creamware, but they do sell the ASBs with the Soniccore brandname on it?
So they do take the money...and are responisible for the bug fixing imo
dropping the product entirely would have assured you there will never be a fix, ever.
still selling them can mean they do care, and may fix it after xite is out and gets them some revenue to continue development.

it's just a guess, but at least there is a possibility to get it fixed...

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Septic

Post by Septic »

I sure do hope so, because the sound is marvellous imho..
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

fact is: Soniccore is a small comany/team, and you have to set priorities on your projects to get them finished.

At the moment they seem to spent all the time on the xite-1/scope5 to get it finished properly.

Even the coop-project with john bowen/Solaris seems to be on hold a bit, due to the announcement of the xite-1.

I`m pretty sure after finishing the xite-1 and the solaris, Soniccore will concentrate on other project, maybe fixing the asb line.

But nobody will disagree that a 5-6 men-team cannot work on 6 projects side-by-side. This would lead directly into the next insolvency...

I`m pretty sure the asb line has a lower priority than the xite-1 or solaris.

But Mr. Piehl told me at messe that the prodyessey plug-in for example wasn`t even completly finsihed, after the creamware went insolvent the first time in 2003. And so it has some unfinsihed parts which are not 100% accurate compared to the original odyssey.
I`m pretty sure that sometime in the future they will have a plan to fix this too.

And if the xite-1 is a success finally, soniccore may also grow in menpower.

I hope it comes soon. :)
Septic

Post by Septic »

sure I totally understand.

Nevertheless I am somewhat reluctant to early adapt the XITE1 ( or the UAD/2)

Sorry for my bad english BTW :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Septic is very wise indeed,

I always wait for products to mature also. I waited for 5 years for Creamware cards the first time. Same w/ mobo's & CPU's.

I have bought so many ASB's, Klang's, Projects, and Pro's, Intel CPU's and Intel Mobo's over the last 4 years that I am going to jump head first this time. I will take a chance as I see the Soniccore Team and John Bowen as uncuffed prisoners, who will fight feverishly, as their backs are up against the wall.

Trust me if GaryB and I see any flaws, this box will stay home with the other few large I have spent in advance while awaiting it's release. I jumped head first for the DFI micro ATX P45 and E8600 combo also.

I believe if one makes a mistake, BE LOUD AND PROUD. I make a clunker every night when I play, I can pretend that it's jazz,....but I know better. :wink:
Septic

Post by Septic »

Well i bought the Solaris aswell hehe, did buy an 0.92 Spectralis, A focusrite liquidmix 2 days after release etc.
I believe I was the first purchaser of the Motif XS rack 29June2008 and I also had the Proddy on the day of release in my studio haha

I am very into that Hybrid thing, i love those new technologies, but sometimes the price you pay is high for early adopting.

BTW The UAD/2 site is up now :) Looks very powerful, there will be a Emperical Labs Fatso™ later this year, very nice. That one I doubted about to purchase :P. I hope they come up with a Thermionic Phoenix™ aswell lol.
http://www.uaudio.com/
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Oke, now I understand why S|C has delayed the exit of X-ite!!!
:o :o :o
I'm really scared because the power of the new boards, the the economic support and of competence of one of the biggest pro audio company (plus official partners), and the future possibility to load synthesizers!
Wow!
Yes, I know, Xite has the routing, the modular, the external box and the audio I/O, but we must admit that this is a big hit inflicted to X-ite project.
David VS Goliath.
Same DSP producer, but very very diffrent amount of customers around the world.
I think that if S|C doesn't change the strategies of sale and promotion, S|C will still stay in the market of niche, as before.
Maybe, at this day, Xite is a little overpriced compared to UAD.
My 2 cents (maybe Im wrong, I don't know...)
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

Septic wrote:Nevertheless I am somewhat reluctant to early adapt the XITE1 ( or the UAD/2)
Exactly, patience. UAD-1 has issues that have never been resolved and down in the very, tiny , fine print available only to determined webhounds they have published the list of issues that have come fully formed with UAD-2.

The smaller UAD-2 card costs about $600. None of the bundled FX, esp the eq's and comp are much good, a tad soggy. To buy even a conservative stock of extra usable eq's, comps and verbs would cost about $2000. So that's $2000 + $600 for just a card that's only 2.5 times more powerful than a UAD-1. As the man said in the sharc film "Jaws", "I think we're gonna need a bigger card!!". Much bigger, much more cash flashed. Plus A/D/A converters, I/O's, etc. + synths. + no Flexor. + no Solaris, which isn't a synth but a behemoth. And you're gonna have to sum in nativeland. 'Nuff said.

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

at the end the xite-1 has still much more power than a UAD-2 Quad card.

And you get more tools delivered with the basic pack.

i don`t see a problem here. XITE-1 is soo much more than just a booster card.
Septic

Post by Septic »

I just read a short review of someone i know, The UAD2 is about 1.5 times plugin power not 2.5 as advertised

plug count | Mono | Stereo
LA-2A - UAD1 19 17
LA-2A - UAD2 27 23
LA-3A - UAD1 15 13
LA-3A - UAD2 22 20
Plate 140 - UAD1 4 4
Plate 140 - UAD2 6 6
RealVerb Pro - UAD1 9 8
RealVerb Pro - UAD2 9 9
CS-1 - UAD1 10 10
CS-1 - UAD2 16 14
EX-1 - UAD1 49 40
EX-1 - UAD2 50 38
Fairchild - UAD1 12 6
Fairchild - UAD2 21 18
DreamVerb - UAD1 6 5
DreamVerb - UAD2 8 7
RS-1 - UAD1 20 20
RS-1 - UAD2 24 21
Cambridge - UAD1 44 23
Cambridge - UAD2 39 27
PMBand - UAD1 5 2
PMBand - UAD2 8 5

A neveda128 has can run 128 instances of the Neve 88RS, but.......all options OFF!!! hahahahaha
With all options at setting ON, mabye 10-12 or so LOL
The NEveda128 is an Quad card.

And NO UAD is not a competitor for the XITE1, but maybe a good brother/sister.
I posted this thread at PlanetZ, because I would think that you guys love those new technologies aswell, like Focusrite LiquidMix, UAD etc.
Not as a substitute, more as a addendum to your system :)
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Right, I have 3xscope and 2xUAD-1 in my system.
I must admit that are both different thing and good friends ;)
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Ok guys, the new DSP-chip for the UAD2 is the ADSP21369 that provide 12x the capacity of the "old" scope DSP chip.
So the UAD2 solo is a small scope Pro in term of DSP power.

Now the Xite-1 (3 999 $ by JRRShop) is announced to provide 10x the DSP power of the Scope Pro. So you need to stack 3 UAD2 quad in your computer to get similar DSP power (3 x 1499 $ in lowest cost version, that is to say 4597 $ by JRRShop also). Then you just get an SRB equivalent solution with no synth plug available.

So for thoose who look for good synths, no question.

What would be maybe a good idea for SonicCore would be to launch a UAD2 version of Scope 5. Then they do not need to design computer board and can focus on extending the Xite range solution for mobile solution and also deisgn new plugs.

My 2 cents
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

The Xite-1 has been announced to have 18 DSP chip: maybe these are just the same models as the embedded on the UAD2... :D
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

HUROLURA wrote: So you need to stack 3 UAD2 quad in your computer to get similar DSP power

with some more plug-ins the UAD2 Quad cost over 2000€.

so 3 cards for 6000€ renders up to a similar power like an xite-1.

+ the xite-1 comes with many synths, a very complete modular synth builder, a free sdk for own creations, mixers, asio drivers, the no-latency workflow, worlds most flexible routing and many IOs.
+much more basic plug-ins.

If UA would add all these feature to their cards, it would double the price and end up costing 12000€.

apart from some great world-famous names like roland, moog, neve etc... the xite-1 is much more bang for buck IMO.

but it is more of an underdog.

I stand the point, that scope is one of the greatest audio-tools, ever developed. somewhat genious.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

By the way, I do not have eard of any UAD SDK ...

SDK opportunity makes me really fond of the platform: possibility to build up your own device relying on hardware DSP rather than host computer processor ...