Post by Shroomz~> »

ooooo :???:
astroman

Post by astroman »

On 2005-12-16 09:58, James wrote:
Still not fixed :sad:
For sale:
Creamware Minimax ASB
Brand new in box with all accessories and warranty card.
well, first of all I'm not interested in 'defending' anyone - just guessing from facts you provide yourself...
or did you link your site unintentionally ?

I'm far from telling you what to like or dislike about your instruments (you certainly have more than enough), yet the lack of relevance regarding those bugs in your sound examples is irritating.
On one hand you admit that a Juno 60 is a limited machine, but you still wouldn't want to miss it - on the other hand you want to sell the 'best sounding VA you've ever heard' due to a non-pleasing response time of the manufacturer.

The way you put it is a common method to make a minor flaw a killer bug (congrats - you already got 2 concerned respones here and one in 'sales') - and makes you stand even more above the crowd (because that tiny inconvenience kills your creativity...)

I know that you are important and the world waits on that review, which you cannot do because of... bla...
Yet few to no links point to your site (apologize in advance if I've overlooked something important)
All that gear you present is neatly organized - almost too neatly - a studio to brag, but not to work, imho.
Couldn't help but to think on a hunter presenting his trophies... :razz:
I will not comment on the quality of the graphic galleries - but it's a serious hint about your personality to call this 'art'...

You'll probably find this personal, offensive and arrogant - well, the latter may be true and possibly it's not such an unfamiliar feeling :wink:

I just do not share the opinion about the importance of your role (as you started to play it on the previous page), nothing more.
I may be wrong and you can even call me an a**hole, but it doesn't change the facts.
Intentionally or not - I admit that you performed extremely well :grin:

cheers, Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2005-12-16 21:12 ]</font>
EricNS

Post by EricNS »

On 2005-12-16 14:26, Shayne White wrote:
Are there any other MiniMax ASB users on this forum? Do they have the same problems?

James, are you sure there's no way you can work around the problems? 12 voices really is a lot for one patch to need to start stealing voices, maybe you should not have such long release. None of the problems you mentioned sounds so severe that you would need to sell the unit, except maybe for detuning....

Shayne
Hi Shane!

I have a Minimax ASB.

At first I didn't notice the "bugs" James was talking about. Then I found out that the polyphony was, occasionally, not as high as it should. Playing too many notes together can cause truncated sounds...

I remember that the Minimax was originaly supposed to have a polyphony of 6 notes, maybe 12 was pushing the processors too far.
I might be wrong.

Anyway, it's a minor problem. Test the ASB in a shop, I challenge you to notice it.
Concerning the detuning: James has probably a faulty Minimax ASB as I cannot confirm this.

Cheers,

Eric
James

Post by James »

Wow.

Missed it entirely, astroman.

I have no idea where you got that idea about my studio, it most certainly is a *working* studio. The reviews people were waiting for were on three other web forums and I had a "dedicated" page for my site in the works. Please check my music page if you think my gear is just for show. I'm certain you'll hate my music as much as my art as you've obviously made up your mind about me.

If you check my site, you'll see I spend a lot of time and energy "giving back" to the synth community by way of numerous resource sites.

I've been waiting *two months* for a bugfix and I have been told outright by the folks at Creamware that there wont be a fix forthcoming anytime soon - especially since they are busy with the new ASB release. Please check my description in the other thread regarding this bug...it makes the Minimax ASB *unuseable* in poly mode for all but "organ" type enveloped sounds.

In addition, I have had problems with the editing software - it is not compatible with the graphics chipset in my studio computer.

As it stands, using the Minimax in its current state is a lesson in frustration. Here is how I've described the problem in another thread here:

"Use a sound with a medium attack (1/2 second or so), play some notes. Long before you get to 12 notes, the attacks of some notes will be cutoff.

This is connected to the voice allocation bug that steals more recent notes instead of oldest like it should. This bug can be displayed by holding a note then playing 12 more (use your arm on the keyboard), the original held note will still be sounding. The synth should be stealing the earliest played notes...this can cause other problems like the first bug I mentioned.

I am in contact with some of the nice folks at Creamware, like Ralf and Andre, they are well aware of these issues and are working to fix them.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Minimax and it is completely fine in mono mode, I'm just looking forward to the bug fixes so I can start using this to record poly stuff.

I think these bugs are completely masked on a lot of the preset poly patches because they have very short attacks and decays, great for "clav" or "organ" sounds but crappy for pads! I just want it to work correctly. Arrgh!"

I don't think it could be any plainer. I don't have the leisure to wait anymore - my philosophy is that anything in the studio thats not getting used, goes.

Thanks for the ad hominem personal attack.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: James on 2005-12-17 02:51 ]</font>
James

Post by James »

Are there any other MiniMax ASB users on this forum? Do they have the same problems?

James, are you sure there's no way you can work around the problems? 12 voices really is a lot for one patch to need to start stealing voices, maybe you should not have such long release. None of the problems you mentioned sounds so severe that you would need to sell the unit, except maybe for detuning....

Shayne
Sometimes I will get note truncations after only three or four notes are played. This is true especially if I have one or more notes sustaining with my left hand while I am playing a melody with my right. I have been in contact with Ralf and he has confirmed that both bugs I'm having problems with are related to a problem with note priority in the voice allocation part of the firmware.

I've been patient for two months, now I need to move on. The Minimax ASB really is the best sounding VA I have heard but its not useful for me in its current state.

If you feel differently, fine. If it works for you, excellent!

If you feel the need to insult me personally or my art because you don't like my viewpoint as someone else has felt the need to do, fine. My philosopy is "What you give is what you get."
Best Regards, James
--
http://www.carbon111.com
James

Post by James »

On 2005-12-17 01:48, EricNS wrote:

Shayne
Hi Shane!

I have a Minimax ASB.

At first I didn't notice the "bugs" James was talking about. Then I found out that the polyphony was, occasionally, not as high as it should. Playing too many notes together can cause truncated sounds...

I remember that the Minimax was originaly supposed to have a polyphony of 6 notes, maybe 12 was pushing the processors too far.
I might be wrong.

Anyway, it's a minor problem. Test the ASB in a shop, I challenge you to notice it.
Concerning the detuning: James has probably a faulty Minimax ASB as I cannot confirm this.

Cheers,

Eric
Hi Eric,

The detuning bug was fixed in an OS release. I replied to some of the other issues above.

There is nothing "wrong" with my Minimax hardware, I confimed this first with the nice folks at Creamware. I like the sound of the Minimax a lot. Its just not useable for me in its current state so I'm moving on.
Best Regards, James
--
http://www.carbon111.com
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, you may not get the polyphony that you want, but minimoogs are all monophonic and are more expensicve than the minimax and have no midi. is the minimax truly useless when it IS a mini?

i guess the minimoog really isn't the synth you want, as mini sounds have never been about polyphony(although it definitely should work properly and polyphony IS nice).....
James

Post by James »

When it "IS" a Mini, its great! :smile:

But I got it at least, in major part, to be a polysynth.

I have two analog monosynths in my studio already, one a Prodigy...

Right now, I have 10 instruments in my studio and I need what's there to be responsive to what I'm doing. The Minimax is frustrating to use in its current state. I just want to make music =)

When they've fixed the issues, maybe I'll revisit the Minimax ASB down the road a ways...
astroman

Post by astroman »

well James, I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to post my impression, and it's not always easy to transmit the content between the lines properly.
I do not hate you, your music and what you call artwork at all - we wouldn't be the first persons to disagree about that definition, so that's no problem.
You did post a 'public' picture and this picture did influence my mind.

I admit I might have overestimated the following quote (or it was intended by you at all)
On 2005-10-04 19:06, James wrote:
... A number of people are waiting for informal reviews (and one formal one) from me and I'm going to see if I can get these issues fixed first.
I took my Minimax ASB to the annual Pacific Northwest Synthesizer Meeting ang got *very* favorable reactions! ...
but for me it actually DID put you in a 'significat' position - and Ralf and Andre do not promptly react on all and every noise that's published here.... :wink:
A following post by you was '...so I'm holding off the reviews until the bugs are fixed' which even puts YOU into the position to be the one to pass on pressure.
Maybe you didn't intend that either :wink:

It was then that I peeked at your site to get an impression of the guy who started out so tough.
The site is nice, as are the sound examples, no question - solid synthwork, but not mindblowing, though that's a matter of taste.

Yet I didn't find the position reflected you acclaimed on the previous page (let's say unintentionally - and let's assume this is only my humble personal impression).

I don't question the existence of that voice stealing bug, but I did not find any music on your site that would have suffered from it.

We're talking about a Minimoog emulation - of course the best known pad machine in the world.
People shell 3.5k Euro for the original to play pads, don't they ? :wink:

You could do a review and mention this flaw, or you could even say I'll wait for the Pro12 as it prospects even better pads, etc, etc

But you choose this strange option to diss the complete box for a feature that 90% of it's prospective buyers will not even care about if you nail it on their forehead.

Of course I don't deny your right to do whatever you like with your box, but don't tell me you're not aware how this 'change of mind' in the context of this thread is perceived.

This is exactly the method to damage an image.
First one achieves consense on the non-deniable facts (great sound!), and admits how much one likes the thing. At the end one points out a small flaw (as people's memory is short...) and suffers a lot from it (to have an objective reason) - then a trigger is applied (they couldn't fix it...) which makes the sale look almost forced.

this is my version of the story - and could as well be fiction, but your position is hard to believe.
You're experienced enough to know why these forums are read and how certain things are perceived :wink:

cheers, Tom
ps: my apologize if all that was completely unintended and is the result of my strange phantasy - you'll probably get the point about my intention.
you don't need to justify whatever you do

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2005-12-17 04:50 ]</font>
James

Post by James »

You're reading a lot more into what I wrote than what is really there I think. I like your tone a little better this time, though ^_^

The minimax ASB is a polysynth even if the Minimoog was not :smile:
I wanted to use it as a polysynth. I can't currently. If someone else can, I say more power to them.

I am by no means a "tough" guy or "magnificat"...I did say my reviews were informal - the formal one won't happen at this point. I'm not hiding behind an anonymous "handle" or trying to put on any "airs" as you intimate.

I have no beef against Creamware - I hope they do exceptionally well. What is written in this forum will probably not affect them at all. I have waited and specifically *not* posted any reviews of the machine so as not to cast any aspersions on Creamware, but I won't lie when someone asks and say something works if it dosen't.

I am actually interested in the Pro-12 but I might wait a little bit before rushing in this time :wink:

If you knew me, you'd know I'm being up-front about this and I would take you out for a beer where we could discuss our differences. You could even explain why "what I call art" is so godwaful :grin:

I'll tell you what, I'll take down all my for sale posts, including the one on my website, put the Minimax in the closet until February, then pull it out again and see if theres an update. Your tenaciousness in this matter got me thinking about the SOUND of this thing again...I'll wait and give it a second chance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: James on 2005-12-17 06:29 ]</font>
astroman

Post by astroman »

On 2005-12-17 06:12, James wrote:
You're reading a lot more into what I wrote than what is really there I think.
The minimax ASB is a polysynth even if the Minimoog was not :smile:
I wanted to use it as a polysynth. I can't currently. ...
I'm really glad to read that I was wrong with my over-interpretion, sorry about the bad vibes :oops:
Obviously the focus on a Mini ASB polysynth didn't really make it through my grey matter, but according to how you describe it's intended use versus the gear you already own it makes sense, indeed.

It's always easy to find a cause if one is biased and I have to admit that my prejudice about you as a person (from that afforementioned start of the thread) blurred my point of view.
No need to spread disks and cables, ashtrays and beverage all over the place to satisfy a virtually 'cool' image :wink:

Infact I do not consider those graphics 'art', but a kind of craftsmenship - but that's no reason to discredit someone.
You may have an entirely different feeling on those creations and they may have an importance for you that's hidden for me.

Makes me look like the dude driving on the highway in the wrong direction, when the warning comes through the radio and he says 'wtf, not one but thousands are wrong...'
At least I'd never call something 'good' or 'bad' art, just as with music - it either IS or not.
That's probably something we can agree on - how about a virtual beer and a cigar to clean the situation ?

sorry again for messing things and cheers, Tom
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Sorry if I get in the discussion, I'm not an ASB owner, I currently own a Minimax in Scope plus a Noah, plus a Profit 5 (actually Pro 12) in Scope, but I found interesting to follow this discussion, I started reading James posts in other forums before he came here, I've always appreciated his positivity and enthusiasm towards new things and the genuine love he shows for synths and sounds. I've also appreciated the fact that when he found some imperfections in the ASB OS, instead of whining and trolling as many use to in forums, he decided to underline the pros (extraordinary pros i.m.h.o.) rather than the cons.
Naturally I can understand that after some time when it seemed that the total fix was after the corner, learning that the solution had to be waited some more because of the overwheelming schedules for a limited manpower, can put a customer with some specifical needs, maybe not evident to the majority, in a situation of feeling p*d off, expecially after showing good will and positivity.

I also found interesting the reaction of astro, I always find interesting what he says because he's a person of knowledge and never says things just for the pleasure of talking, but what I noticed this time is the istinctive and unconsciously clever (seems an oxymoron, but I'll try to explain it) aggressive attitude of a mind that is used to contol itself with rationality and has an istinctive rebellion towards what seems out of a logical scheme.

I've seen a sort of knight duel between two nice forumites, appearently,and it's incredible how the atmosphere of Planetz is capable of giving some elegance to the harsher discussions, but what has amazed me, in a positive way, is noticing that astroman has entered in a way that seemed initially absurd, the first thing I thought is "why does he bother so much, James isn't satisfied, what's the problem?", but the cathartic end of this confrontation revealed me that the unconscious and istinctive part of each one can better communicate with it's counterpart, the unconscious and istinctive part of someone else.

Logic would have suggested that if someone expresses a problem that is not seen as very important by the other one, who in turn, instead to try to convince the former one that he shoudn't be so dramatic, says that his artwork sucks (sorry, I know astro was more polite than this), well a nuclear war was in preparation...instead...it ended that James reconsidered his decision on the ASB box and astro offered him virtual beer and cigars.

I think that the artwork argument was absurd, not because of the opinion on the matter, everyone can have his own tastes, I found it very good, illustration is "art" for me, but it was absurd because totally unrelated with the Minimax ASB, the amount of polyphony etc...

But this absurdity has been the real strength of the communication, the logical shift moved the confrontation from a field where a different opinion can only re-enforce the other opinion, because if I say I think something is important (the way notes are stealed) you can't make me change my mind just because you think different (who are you to say what's important for me?), to a field of direct confrontation of istincts, like:

"Your decision to sell this ASB box when you know that the company is fixing it, with all the difficulties they have now, after you said that it is the best sounding VA you've never heard is absurd, I can't approve your action" The artwork on the site is a sort of exposition of the author inner world, so attacking it is attacking the other's emotionality, not his reasons, but his reaction to the note steal problem.

In this way the problem is legitimated and the message, beyond astro's total consciousness, is exceptionally focused and effective.

Now, I'm sorry again for the "offtopicness", maybe this was just a mental trip I had, but If I weren't so amazed I wouldn't have written such a long post at 1 a.m.

Cheers everyone.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

when i read the "art review" from astro i actuqlly skipped the rest of the matter.

my thought was "so james wasnt pleased by his ASB. tough luck. id sell non interesting studio eq anytime.

but astro, u know as well as i do that mixing art with graphics is 2 very diff things when we speak synths. james made more an effort making this thing work than most of us did.

if he isnt pleased, why not let him sell it?
most of us (biased) would tell him not to, but who say WE are right?

astro, u kno as well as i do; if it doesnt suit u, get rid of it! either VSTi or ASB.
astroman

Post by astroman »

well Piddi, you may have also skipped that I regretted that post in question - I've been biased by an absurd (as it turned out) idea which let me drift away.

My only excuse is that James performed (unintentionally) so damn real a classic method...
the point was not that his Mini ASB showed up under sales.
People were awaiting his review (even here) and he answered 'still not fixed - Mini for sale'
Now how does THAT read ?

Yet I never wrote a word about the art itself, the statement was about 'a person who considers this art...'
Admittedly that was even more nasty and only intended to discredit James as a person, for which I apologize (again) if it hasn't been clear yet.

cheers, Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2005-12-18 02:40 ]</font>
James

Post by James »

On 2005-12-17 22:27, piddi wrote:
if he isnt pleased, why not let him sell it?
Well, I actually listened to it again...the SOUND makes it worth keeping! I do hope for a bugfix though...

no one MADE me keep it :grin:

When I wrote my "For Sale" post I was pretty frustrated. I've settled down a bit now :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: James on 2005-12-18 23:21 ]</font>
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

Well, that's good. If it works great in monophonic mode for now, you can pretend it's a true MiniMoog until the OS gets fixed in the future. :smile:

I just hope this doesn't hurt CWA's sales, because they're really trying to get off the ground again, and any bad moves on their part could result in another Noah-like product killing the company. Perhaps after the Pro-12 is in full production they can work on fixing the bugs.

Happy music-making,

Shayne

(P.S. I don't own the Minimax ASB, but I have the Scope version and I know how good it is! :grin: )
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
James

Post by James »

Well Shayne,
I think it will do really well!
It sounds fantastic, Keyboard magazine gave it a glowing review and Sound On Sound just published a <b>great</b> review as well!

I want them to do well. I'm one of the few people with any complaints whatsoever. :razz:

Its too bad they can't get a big outlet like GC (shudder) to sell them through! I hope the ASB products aren't too much "under the radar" for most folks because they don't see them...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: James on 2005-12-18 23:28 ]</font>
garyb

Post by garyb »

GC almost ruined creamware in the usa....stores like that are a double-edged sword for companies like cwa.
James

Post by James »

What happened? Is there a link to a story or somesuch? I don't want to bore folks on this forum.

I know Moogmusic had a <b>very contentious</b> disagreement with GC for a while and pulled all their gear out...I have no idea what that was about either...

As much as I dislike GC, they are ubiquitous and sell a lot of gear.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, no doubt. but the warehouse technique doesn't work well for products that are sophisticated and not well known. the massive employee turnover and low pay with commision ensures poor support.

also, because gc flushes a LOT of product down the pipeline, they tend to try and control the manufaacturers they work with(forcing manufacturers to absorb poorly handled returns caused by sales lies and poor info and support as well as ridiculous, unprofitable quantity discounts for example). the company that used to make amps and pa components called acoustic is a good case in point. eventually, gc became acoustic's main customer and then threatened to drop the line if acoustic didn't give gc the terms they wanted. in the end, gc was able to buy and liquidate the company at a great profit. yamaha stopped dealing with gc for this reason. of course, this is a grossly oversimplified description, but it did happen. gc was not a good trading partner for cwa, although musicians friend(a gc company)still sells cwa products i believe....

gc likes fast food products. their main stock in trade is the fender squier series, tons and tons of them buried in spoiled suburban kids' closets....the mi business(music instrument retail) is just messed up like that...