Am I doing right to buy a new Noah EX ?

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

AzureFeast

Post by AzureFeast »

Hi there,
I am new to this list.
And a somewhat experienced user of Logic Audio 5.5 (Windows 98SE), SuperNova, Virus KC. I now have an opportunity to buy from Creamware a Noah EX.

Is there any compelling reason I should know NOT to buy it ? (I understand that I can buy it a reasonable price because it is a somewhat unsuccessfull end-of-life product.)

If all turns right, I hope to join you soon as a happy NOAH user. :smile:

Marc
garyb

Post by garyb »

noah's a really great box if you need a synth.....
Liquid Len

Post by Liquid Len »

It's as sweet as the stories say.

It's all it's cracked up to be.

Buy it while you have a chance. The software is 99.9% there, don't expect any updates, but you already have all the functionality you need.
AzureFeast

Post by AzureFeast »

There seems to be some concerns with useability. (Patch naming ?, USB Audio crackles...). Could any of you provide some links to where I could read the final word regarding these issues and possibly solutions ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AzureFeast on 2005-05-25 13:14 ]</font>
AzureFeast

Post by AzureFeast »

Here is one of the sentence that worry me:
"it functions great if you: edit on screen, save the patches directly on the Noah unit and use it as a soundbank controlled via your midi-keyboard. "

It is my understanding that usingthe remote software is by far the more pleasant way to adjust the settings. Does this quote mean that it is actually NOT working right ?
Liquid Len

Post by Liquid Len »

OK, if you want the bad news....

The worse problems I have found were related to playing live. The 'lock parameter' function never works for me and every so often I have to mess with the unit during soundcheck. A nuisance but it's been smooth sailing otherwise. Gets used every weekend and hasn't let me down.

The 'backup' function is poorly documented and strangely, only allows you to directly backup and restore to a Noah (not to a computer system) - as if having many PCs and one Noah were less likely than many Noahs and one PC.

Using it to provide an ASIO driver via USB port is something I can't comment on - I would expect it to be troublesome, because (1) it's not an integral feature, but seemingly an add-on, and (2) bug fixes for the Noah probably aren't a big priority for Creamware.

I use the optical outs in SPDIF mode, and it works fine with me, no crackles or other problems.

Never had any issues with patch naming.

For use as a rack-mount synth module, it works grrreat.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Liquid Len on 2005-05-25 22:47 ]</font>
Liquid Len

Post by Liquid Len »

On 2005-05-25 13:51, AzureFeast wrote:
Here is one of the sentence that worry me:
"it functions great if you: edit on screen, save the patches directly on the Noah unit and use it as a soundbank controlled via your midi-keyboard. "

It is my understanding that usingthe remote software is by far the more pleasant way to adjust the settings. Does this quote mean that it is actually NOT working right ?
The remote software works great for configuring the unit. I only edit certain 'global parameters' directly, and then only when necessary. (like, once or twice a month).
Liquid Len

Post by Liquid Len »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Liquid Len on 2005-05-25 22:45 ]</font>
AzureFeast

Post by AzureFeast »

Thanks Liquid Len,
that was really usefull.

Marc.

PS: By the way "Liquid Len" ??? (The Battle of Epping Forrest ?)
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

Here is a useful review, incase you haven't seen it already.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul03/a ... renoah.asp

Neb
AzureFeast

Post by AzureFeast »

Guys,
I am sorry but I am sticking with Access. Hopefully, the TI shouldn't be far away anymore. I will never know what I missed...

Good luck,
Marc for Azure Feast.
www/AzureFeast.com