wacky fx

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

borg

Post by borg »

let it be clear that SFP has the best soft synths around! i don't care for NI or any other vsti (crystal is quite nice, though, and i think meta synth could be nice too). and that's ok... that leaves more cpu power (my mac is 'only' 450Mhz, the pc laptop 'only' 1Ghz) for these absolutely cool vst fx.

so what i wanted to say... the current offer on fx for sfp is aimed at mixing, mastering and the standard suite of sound treatment. but where are the cutting edge sound design monsters?!? the only alternative for sfp is not out yet (flexor and it's sequencer modules).
so where are the sfp equivalents of smart electronix/destroyfx, scuzzphut, coldcutter, polyfractus, tobybear,...?????
is the market too small? the platform not suited for this (ram, pci)? or am i just missing something?
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
decimator

Post by decimator »

I vote yes too !
But ... I don't know what's makeable with the " atoms " I don't think they offer the flexibility of " classic " code ...
An " insider " can answer ?
scary808

Post by scary808 »

I use some weird effects as well. I think the demographic for these types of effects is too limited because they are only practical for a few people. However, if you have the Modular, you can create some very wacky stuff! Just last week I needed a chorus/flange that retriggered every time I played notes. Once I built it, I started coaxing out some downright freaky stuff. Maybe I'll post it. Flexor will take things up many notches I'm sure!
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Agreed, FX with the intention of being 'wild and crazy' won't impress for more than 1/2 an hour. However, if there was a batch of FX that were released that had the level of quality of more recent Creamware releases, I'd be very happy.

The delays, in my opinion, are particularly weak. GRM-Tools, in my opinion make some REALLY cool and usable delays, I'd like to see more flexible and intuitive delays than just having feedback/ms/sync. Also, none of the stock ones (or 3rd party to my knowledge... anyone? Bueller?) go up to 1000ms or beyond.

We have tons of great compressors of various bands so I don't think there's any need in that category. The EQ's are fine, I use the 31band all the time for precision/clinical editing and the 4PEQ is musical enough to my ears though I wouldn't mind emulations of some classic EQs (though something new and innovative is always preferred).

But there's also a growing surround sound market and while Creamware has two FANTASTIC surround mixers which I've dug into where I could, they have no surround FX! How is that going to encourage people who work in surround to take a closer look at Creamware?

I absolutely love the direction that Creamware has been heading, but I think this is an area where Creamware could really turn some heads. The PsyQ is lovely, but is a nicer BBE Sonic Maximizer (yes I know they use different methods, but in terms of marketing perception they aim at the same needs).

All the emulations are great, but they don't offer tools that people can't really get in other forms for not too much cash. It really excels where it puts them all together in one package for not much money.

I've mentioned previously, if they made the most intensively modelled surround-capable plate reverb that took up a whole PII card, they would make MAJOR headlines, and whet a lot of appetites.

Yes every crappy Alesis $100 FX processor has a plate model, they all suck. I've never heard a plate reverb, even on $3000 and up units that didn't sound like a soupy pile of shite. Whereas I have heard an actual 2500lbs plate reverb in an old elevator shaft well mic'd as an aux effect in an old studio whose engineers I knew, and the sound is indescribable.

Obviously, it's hard to get 'the sound,' but putting out a real hog that delivers EVEN CLOSE to something that intense, at the cost of a PII and a $400 plug would get a lot of revording studios interested.

Or if they released a batch of surround sound delays/FX, that would be a head turner as ProTools, or Nuendo exclusive plugs are all that really cover this area, and they are VERY expensive.

My $.80

Sam
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

most "wierd" effects are just a creative combination of what is avaliable, try using modular(if you have it) as just an effects box, with feedback you can do some truly amazing things.