problem with win7/64 and jb synth-pack

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: problem with win7/64 and jb synth-pack

Post by garyb »

sorry, i grew up with hardware. i know the difference. i've actually HEARD and USED an 1176, among other legendary hardware. when i learned the craft, there were no computers and we had to solder our own studios together. any engineer who knows the difference will tell you the same. does this matter for what most people are doing? probably not...quality is not an issue in this present environment.

yes, suckers. $20,000 is a ton of money for i/o. as i said, if you need that many i/o, Lynx and RME offer MADI. for $800, you have all the i/o you need with Lynx, and you don't have to use second-rate AVID hardware or sequencers.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LTMADI
for $1700 you can have MADI with RME, a much higher quality product and again, avoid overpriced stuff.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=rme+madi
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

garyb wrote:sorry, i grew up with hardware. i know the difference. i've actually HEARD and USED an 1176, among other legendary hardware. when i learned the craft, there were no computers and we had to solder our own studios together. any engineer who knows the difference will tell you the same. does this matter for what most people are doing? probably not...quality is not an issue in this present environment.

yes, suckers. $20,000 is a ton of money for i/o. as i said, if you need that many i/o, Lynx and RME offer MADI. for $800, you have all the i/o you need with Lynx, and you don't have to use second-rate AVID hardware or sequencers.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LTMADI
for $1700 you can have MADI with RME, a much higher quality product and again, avoid overpriced stuff.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=rme+madi

I have and use 1176 from Blustripe to the new ua version...please spare me.I solder tt patches weekly.

The links..i know about these produkts.They provide i/o.They dont provide i/o under pt that is enought for large sessions.32/32.

Hd native is in that price range. And you still need the converters.

..... :wink:
garyb

Post by garyb »

again, why buy HDX dsp systems?
that was my point.

congrats on your one bit of hardware. why not replace it with native? native has the power to use a hardware quality 1176 emulation on every track, along with hardware quality eqs and reverbs, right? it'll work just like hardware in realtime, right?

it depends on what you do, and what you want, but native is not a good replacement for what dsps do, nor is it a good replacement for hardware. native is very useful for certain tasks, however. really, the only reasons to prefer native is-
1. price.(and if price is the main concern, only a straight-up FOOL would buy an HDX DSP system)
2. convienience.

audio quality, however is not the reason.

btw- the Lynx and RME offerings allow 64i/o. this isn't enough? PT doesn't work properly with ASIO yet?
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Fluxpod wrote:
@Sounddesigner. In Tracking yes in Mixing no.Its about the synergie and that you can use BOTH...run out of dsp? Use native...And if you run out of native power which is kinda unlikely use dsp.. :wink:

Its the whole system the workflow the use of satelites and so on that makes it work for pro´s.
I agree with that. But the point i'm making is in order to use both dsp and native for the ultimate solution your plugins have to be available for both and this is not the case to a great extent since HDX is missing alot, plus there has always been dsp-only plugins for protools (wich where the most attractive plugins to me) that had no Native counterpart and i'm sure this will always be the case. Some of the dsp-only plugins from the old TDM system are missing with HDX dsp and they don't have AAX-Native counterparts either.

Don't get me wrong i know protools is a special and powerful system but imo this is largely due to the dsp's not the Native side (and using both together like you mentioned).

SCOPE is about to have Parseq and threw Open-SCOPE i'm sure more utilization of Native cpu will occur for SCOPE. Even if some SCOPE devices are coded to use the computer but are still of the SCOPE platform i still believe it is the dsp that makes the platform special (soundquality, stability, better power management and leveraging, etc).

Some say Native CPU processors can technically create plugins that sound as good as dsp i disagree to a certain extent but even if it was fully true it may be irrelevant cause there is another reason dsp can sound better. DSP offers true copy-protection and thus some high-end developers like S|C, John Bowen, UA, TC, Access,etc have only been interested in dsp partly or fully for this reason im sure. The algorithms my ears prefer are mainly dsp based and thus dsp sound better to me.

EDITED
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

garyb wrote:again, why buy HDX dsp systems?
that was my point.

congrats on your one bit of hardware. why not replace it with native? native has the power to use a hardware quality 1176 emulation on every track, along with hardware quality eqs and reverbs, right? it'll work just like hardware in realtime, right?

it depends on what you do, and what you want, but native is not a good replacement for what dsps do, nor is it a good replacement for hardware. native is very useful for certain tasks, however. really, the only reasons to prefer native is-
1. price.(and if price is the main concern, only a straight-up FOOL would buy an HDX DSP system)
2. convienience.

audio quality, however is not the reason.

btw- the Lynx and RME offerings allow 64i/o. this isn't enough? PT doesn't work properly with ASIO yet?

Pt works with 3pv Hardware up to 32 ch I/o.

My one piece of Hardware? Excuse you? Pms again.

You choose hdx for work.It works with 128Inputs or more you need the cards to connect the converters be it madi or the avid i/o or Apogee symphony or or or.

You truly have no idea what it is to work in a Professional environment with deadlines.Sorry to be so direct but this post displays your complete misunderstanding about the providet technology.

Could you provide me with some explict info on why native is not a substitude for dsp technology apart from the low latency point while tracking and while taking HUGE overdubs? I dare you to use sound as an example. Its about the Designer of the plugin.Thats why i still have 1 pro card.I need the synths and they are not available native.That doesnt mean native is not as good soundwise.

And i have 0 Emotional feelings about Interfaces dsp cards or that stuff.I use what works and what does not get in the way.
I guess that differs for some people....Its like Apple fanboys.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Sounddesigner wrote:
Fluxpod wrote:
@Sounddesigner. In Tracking yes in Mixing no.Its about the synergie and that you can use BOTH...run out of dsp? Use native...And if you run out of native power which is kinda unlikely use dsp.. :wink:

Its the whole system the workflow the use of satelites and so on that makes it work for pro´s.
I agree with that. But the point i'm making is in order to use both dsp and native for the ultimate solution your plugins have to be available for both and this is not the case to a great extent since HDX is missing alot, plus there has always been dsp-only plugins for protools (wich where the most attractive plugins to me) that had no Native counterpart and i'm sure this will always be the case.

Don't get me wrong i know protools is a special and powerful system but imo this is largely due to the dsp's not the Native side (and using both together like you mentioned).

SCOPE is about to have Parseq and threw Open-SCOPE i'm sure more utilization of Native cpu will occur for SCOPE. Even if some SCOPE devices are coded to use the computer but are still of the SCOPE platform i still believe it is the dsp that makes the platform (soundquality, stability, better power management and leveraging, etc).

Some say Native processors can technically create plugins that sound as good as dsp i disagree to a certain extent but even if it was fully true it may be irrelevant cause there is another reason dsp can sound better. DSP offers true copy-protection and thus some high-end developers like S|C, John Bowen, UA, TC, Access,etc have only been interested in dsp. The algorithms my ears prefer are mainly dsp based and thus dsp sound better to me.

Then please name the plugs that will be missing.I know of 2.I mentioned them.And imo and ime Pt isnt really special.It has its bugs and quirks and sometimes its bitchy as hell but..and that is my point.It mostly works very good and gets it done without beeing in the way.
And i wasnt even talking about scope here in my replies.Scope is what it is.Would i buy the new hw? No.But that doesnt matter at all.I do not like to read misinformation about 1 product to mak another seem great.Doesnt work that way and will bite back.Its better to FACE the Problems then to always pounder about how great these workarounds are.Because they are not. :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

somehow, i don't think we are talking apples and apples, or even the same language, although it looks like English.

if you are not emotional, then why call me a bloody @#$y?
why get hung up on the weak PT sequencer, when there are plenty of others that will allow 64i/o and allow you to get work done on time?
as to native and dsp sounding the same, they probably can. it's just that the best, most detailed algorythms are going to be real resource hogs, which is the main reason to use dsps to augment the system, beyond realtime use.

as far as i/o goes, dollar for dollar, the PT quality is the lowest in the business, it's not the worst by ANY means, it's quite good, but not at that price. since you are on tight deadlines, it's obvious that quality is the least of your concerns, as long as it makes the minimum of quality and you get paid, which is fine. use what works. it's pretty crappy to buy all those dsps just to be able to use all the avialable i/o. rofl at the suckers who have to spend extra just because the stuff that their favorite manufacturer makes at a reasonable price is intentionally crippled. all that crap about making deadlines? it's crap. there have always been deadlines. PT is not the only good way to meet dealines.

i'm in the LA area. the real engineers are here. to a man, everybody i have come in contact with in film, television and music thinks that Avid and HDX is a bunch of shit, even while they use it. these are people that have done work that matters, by the way. i'm reminded of the sm-58, a good mic, but not an especially great one. the reason so many use it in this day and age? because everyone else does...

you say that you're not a fanboy, but all you've done is to unecessarily defend your fasvorite system. it's ok that it's your favorite, or that you know it best. it's fine if you use it. you have justified that use via my reason #2, convienience. all i said was that the pricing and the way that the stuff is used and bundled is a sucker's game, and it is. YOU are the apple fanboy in this case.

this is not to "big up Scope", which for my use works 100% of the time, even live. i meet all of my deadlines without extra trouble and i have several songs on the radio right now. just use what works for you.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

garyb wrote:somehow, i don't think we are talking apples and apples, or even the same language, although it looks like English.

if you are not emotional, then why call me a bloody @#$y?
why get hung up on the weak PT sequencer, when there are plenty of others that will allow 64i/o and allow you to get work done on time?
as to native and dsp sounding the same, they probably can. it's just that the best, most detailed algorythms are going to be real resource hogs, which is the main reason to use dsps to augment the system, beyond realtime use.

as far as i/o goes, dollar for dollar, the PT quality is the lowest in the business, it's not the worst by ANY means, it's quite good, but not at that price. since you are on tight deadlines, it's obvious that quality is the least of your concerns, as long as it makes the minimum of quality and you get paid, which is fine. use what works. it's pretty crappy to buy all those dsps just to be able to use all the avialable i/o. rofl at the suckers who have to spend extra just because the stuff that their favorite manufacturer makes at a reasonable price is intentionally crippled. all that crap about making deadlines? it's crap. there have always been deadlines. PT is not the only good way to meet dealines.

i'm in the LA area. the real engineers are here. to a man, everybody i have come in contact with in film, television and music thinks that Avid and HDX is a bunch of shit, even while they use it. these are people that have done work that matters, by the way. i'm reminded of the sm-58, a good mic, but not an especially great one. the reason so many use it in this day and age? because everyone else does...

you say that you're not a fanboy, but all you've done is to unecessarily defend your fasvorite system. it's ok that it's your favorite, or that you know it best. it's fine if you use it. you have justified that use via my reason #2, convienience. all i said was that the pricing and the way that the stuff is used and bundled is a sucker's game, and it is. YOU are the apple fanboy in this case.

this is not to "big up Scope", which for my use works 100% of the time, even live. i meet all of my deadlines without extra trouble and i have several songs on the radio right now. just use what works for you.

I am calling you nothing at all gary.
But with this you display even more that you do not get it.You simply dont.
And The guys that call avid a pile of shit.Hey thats fine.I love cubase and nuendo even more.Still Irrelevant.I defend pt slight due to the massive misinformation to make other systems seem like a godsend..which they are not.
Oh and i really dislike apple, even if thats not the point.Really give me a w7 or xp machine over lion or snow leopard any day^^.
I leave you now to pms the hell outta this.
Enjoy and have fun.
:wink:
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Fluxpod wrote:
Sounddesigner wrote:
Fluxpod wrote:

I agree with that. But the point i'm making is in order to use both dsp and native for the ultimate solution your plugins have to be available for both and this is not the case to a great extent since HDX is missing alot, plus there has always been dsp-only plugins for protools (wich where the most attractive plugins to me) that had no Native counterpart and i'm sure this will always be the case.

SCOPE is about to have Parseq and threw Open-SCOPE i'm sure more utilization of Native cpu will occur for SCOPE. Even if some SCOPE devices are coded to use the computer but are still of the SCOPE platform i still believe it is the dsp that makes the platform (soundquality, stability, better power management and leveraging, etc).

Some say Native processors can technically create plugins that sound as good as dsp i disagree to a certain extent but even if it was fully true it may be irrelevant cause there is another reason dsp can sound better. DSP offers true copy-protection and thus some high-end developers like S|C, John Bowen, UA, TC, Access,etc have only been interested in dsp. The algorithms my ears prefer are mainly dsp based and thus dsp sound better to me.

Then please name the plugs that will be missing.I know of 2.I mentioned them.And imo and ime Pt isnt really special.It has its bugs and quirks and sometimes its bitchy as hell but..and that is my point.It mostly works very good and gets it done without beeing in the way.
And i wasnt even talking about scope here in my replies.Scope is what it is.Would i buy the new hw? No.But that doesnt matter at all.I do not like to read misinformation about 1 product to mak another seem great.Doesnt work that way and will bite back.Its better to FACE the Problems then to always pounder about how great these workarounds are.Because they are not. :)

I've already named many, the Waves Mercury bundle alone is huge, but Eventide plugins, TC plugins, Access, guitar amps, the DUY plugins (wich are effects and a synth), Antares, Sonnox plugins, Air eq, mc2000, M/S toolkits, mcdsp plugins, and more. I posted a link that had a list of HDX available plugins and a list of TDM go read it. Here it is again - http://www.avid.com/US/categories/Audio-Plug-ins
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's cool too, even though you still call me a woman with bloody discharge.

all anyone said about PT, is that it sucked the way that people who spend a LOT of money to have a dsp system have to use native because so many of the plugins that they might want to use are only available natively. that is TRUE. if you don't need the dsps, that's great. i sure would hate to be forced to purchase them just to not use them. that is not the sign of menstruation.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Gary please...Pms= Slightly rage..i thought that would be common knowledge on the internet.I appologise if you took that the wrong way..its kinda, a funny remark...nothing more.

And sound designer..Sonnox has both dsp aax and native available now.
Tc is out of the plugin bizz mostly.They just do drivers for the now more or less dead powercore plattform.Access did the tdm virus because both the hw virus and tdm used the same motorola 56k dsp...easy port.
Eventide is on native development now.
Mc dsp aax planned soon.
Waves has aax nativenow and dsp planned.
More till end of this year.
And lots of the mentioned plugs still work just fine under rtas.
Good night.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

@Fluxpod. You also need to understand one element that will slow down the availability of more plugins for HDX and that's the price the developers have to pay for the system (i think Andy Cytomic stated he paid around $20,000 to develop for HDX). Developers have a huge cost to pay, heck even with SCOPE some developers are slowed down due to the cost of XITE-1 wich is far cheaper. I'd bet that many developers won't see the new HDX as worth the investment.
garyb

Post by garyb »

PMS=Pre Menstrual Syndrome

the point, again, is that it sucks to spend all that money for a dsp system and have all the best plugins NOT available for dsps, even IF the native versions are identical. dsps cost extra, if you can't use them, but paid for them, it sucks. in the future, it might suck less.

all systems have strengths and weaknesses. this is not an all or nothing discussion. it was mentioned that Scope was hampered by the need for the new system to be compatible with the old, but that it's great to still have the old plugins available. it was also mentioned that PT HDX got around the problem of backwards compatibility by just eliminating the old plugins, which kind of sucks.

i don't see the controversy there.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Fluxpod wrote:Gary please...Pms= Slightly rage..i thought that would be common knowledge on the internet.I appologise if you took that the wrong way..its kinda, a funny remark...nothing more.

And sound designer..Sonnox has both dsp aax and native available now.
Tc is out of the plugin bizz mostly.They just do drivers for the now more or less dead powercore plattform.Access did the tdm virus because both the hw virus and tdm used the same motorola 56k dsp...easy port.
Eventide is on native development now.
Mc dsp aax planned soon.
Waves has aax nativenow and dsp planned.
More till end of this year.
And lots of the mentioned plugs still work just fine under rtas.
Good night.
Sonnox are'nt listed as HDX compatible on their website, it's listed as comming soon. Regardless there are MANY plugins still not available for HDX and tho some have been recently made available my point still stands, and that is at release HDX had next to nothing available for it and that it will take time to get that platform back to what it was (it may not never be quite like it was but this is just my opinion). The TC and Access plugins may be dropped but this proves my point as well in that HDX users are taking a loss when they upgraded their DSP's, that fact still remains. You know there are MANY/MOST plugins not available for HDX and that availability is slowly comming overtime so there should'nt be any debate, this is fact not opinion according to listings and other resources i've used.
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

dante wrote:
Sounddesigner wrote:After saying that i do look forward to SCOPE 6 and more optimizations and hope it all comes VERY quickly (soon is not a good word to use with S|C :) ). I'm sure S|C wants this as well.
Id be happy if it was this year. 2013 at the latest would be a reasonable expectation.
I hope by this summer, but your timetable is still good to me as well. The quicker the better tho. I will enjoy what i have until then.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Fluxpod wrote: Yeah and right now..there are so many simlar plugs that it does not matter.I only heard 1 complaint about the virus and ampfarm.Thats about it.
I actually watched the HDX rack operate last week. It was some old Rock Gods who sent in their stems, and the drummer does the tracks first since he's the guy who gets the Recording Contacts and Sponsorships.
But none the stems lined up and he spent 2 days working on these sterile sounding tracks done on Control 24's, but when I came back the Mastering was being finished up already and I asked him what he was using other than the HDX rack and Manley rack, and he had some new plug ins that he was all jazzed up about. The sound was impressive. Farichild comp and Tape Flange, and Reverb, along with the Manley hardware was incredible. But I heard the monitors not a finsihed CD. But the Virus is lame, and that's why I get called for the Solaris and occasional B2003 w/ the Neo Ventillator.
The difference in quality is noticable, or it could be his engineering skills.
But it's a sign of the times when you have an SSL4000G+ with every imaginable vintage and new mic pres costing 1000's of dollars and it rarely gets used.
If they can somehow get a Manley dual slope Limiter in HDX they'll have an incredible system.
So it seems they have lots of development and cash flow as these plug ins are really a step above of my beloved Scope plugs. But then again the price is much larger and as far as synths go, Solaris has no equal.....period. And even it has flaws, but sound is definately not one of them.
Bring back Klaus Piehl and some investors, it's just a matter of money IMHO. R & D is way more expensive than using the guy who originally wrote everything.
RP_001

Post by RP_001 »

Good to see that solaris is working for 64bit systems. Are there also any updated files for the "old" 32bit solaris for Xite?

Prowave and Qwave SE work excellent on xite, but I still cant use solaris 5.0 properly :(
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

garyb wrote:ok!

finally, we have the needed sysfiles.

they will be uploaded to the ftp server, but for now here they are.
i've tested almost all the Zarg synths and the Solaris sequencer, so i think everything seems to be in order. please let me know if there are issues.
Hi Gary, I put these files here:
C:\Program Files\SCOPE PCI\App\Sys
on my Win7 64bit machine and I still get
"Can't find DSP file JBCtrlSh Vxd - Please check Installation." when loading Solaris 5.0
All other Zarg synths seem to be OK.

Any ideas - did I put them in the wring place?

Thanks for your help,
Ben
garyb

Post by garyb »

are you running Scope "as administrator"?
right click on icon, choose "run as administrator" or choose properties\advanced and put a check in "run as adminstrator" to make it permanent...

you should get a message asking if you will allow Scope to make changes to the system.

yes, that's where the files go. you can try renaming the JBCtrlSh64.sys to JBCtrlSH.sys, but it should work either way. i saw your email to support and forwarded it to Ralf for your other issues...
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Will give it a try again tonight. Many thanks as ever.