Midi accuracy, midi jitter.

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Fluxpod

Re: Midi accuracy, midi jitter.

Post by Fluxpod »

Yes but recording midi tracks really shouldnt be a problem.Be it atari notator-logic 9-cubase 5 i havent had problems that i would call show stoppers.
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

Bud Weiser wrote: In act, that´s the man who coded the excellent DirectMusic MIDI driver for the Opcode 8portSE 8x8 MIDI interface.
AFAIK Steini was in contact w/ him too and after that, the latest driver for Midex-8 came out (v1.92 I think) which is the best ever made for Midex-8.

Bud
I'm getting a very stable MIDI clock with my Midex 8 and Cubase 4 on WinXP.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

wouterz wrote: I'm getting a very stable MIDI clock with my Midex 8 and Cubase 4 on WinXP.
I get it w/ both combos,- Cubase SX3 and Midex-8 USB as well as Reaper 3.x and Music Quest (Opcode) 8portSE connected to the LTP port of the machine.
I have several PC setups,- one incl. a SCOPE card.

Bud
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 10485760 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1245184 bytes) in /usr/home/planetz/www.planetz.com/htdocs/forums/includes/ ... decomp.php on line
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

Have received the QY70, and its very practical just to record things on it.
Im trying to sync it to Reaper, the QY70 as master MTC.
The problem is after 1 o 2 minutes I have a drift between the audio in Reaper) and the sequencer. If I set the resincronize option at lower value on Reaper I have audio drops. What Im doing wrong?
dante

Re:

Post by dante »

lagoausente wrote:Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 10485760 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1245184 bytes) in /usr/home/planetz/www.planetz.com/htdocs/forums/includes/ ... decomp.php on line
Is anyone else getting this error ? I just got it and looks like Bud got it and lagoausente as well.

BTW My MIDI timing w/outside boxes is great on MIDEX 8 until I use SYSEX. Any big SYSEX needs to be done before the main song, but notes and CC ok ( not using MTC though ).
View ScopeRise latest issue at www.hitfoundry.com
garyb

Post by garyb »

SYSEX + music data = death.
at least as far as computers go....
widy

Re:

Post by widy »

lagoausente wrote:Have received the QY70, and its very practical just to record things on it.
Im trying to sync it to Reaper, the QY70 as master MTC.
The problem is after 1 o 2 minutes I have a drift between the audio in Reaper) and the sequencer. If I set the resincronize option at lower value on Reaper I have audio drops. What Im doing wrong?

i also had the same problem when i use realinsert in combination with scope synths
i got a time drift on loop playback
if i always start playback at the begin of the loop i did not receive a time drift
but if i start not at the beginn of the loop e.g outside of the loop or middle of the loop i receive a time drift of 5-10 samples per loop
lg widy
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

Fluxpod wrote:I would buy one of these.http://www.innerclocksystems.com/New%20 ... -Lock.html Instead of some 80 tees sequencer.
Seems you had all reason here.
I have made more tests today, sent audio metronome to Alesis Trigger IO, and record its midi output.

1- To QY70 internal clock, low jitter, typical 1ms, rare 2ms, only one at 3ms. The problem is that linear time is not accurate and a drift occurs more big as more long is the song. What happens is that is accurate in the 4/4 tempo, but is a loop repeated. To can get linear time accurate, should be neede be externally clocked to Asio Point protocol.
2- QY70 recording with external clock from Reaper Spp from midi, gives the same of worse result than recording inside Reaper.

3- Inside reaper, common 1-3ms jitter, some 4-5 ms, and some 6 ms. Audio output of the VST sampler has just the same behaviour as the midi.

I tried to use VCR-128 on 64bit but no luck. Dont send midi clock to sequencer. Syncs ok with reaper but reaper dont see the Asio2 inputs. Ill have to try on 32 bit, or even on Scope 4.0 to see if its a 5.1 bug. If work the VCR-128 could be a good way, since syncing with Asio position protocol is sample accurate and should give linear time accuracy, then send midi clock to the QY70 (but I suspect Ill find any problem anywhere).
On the other hand, playing Edrums with native sampler is not very nice, even with the lowest latency sometimes a hit comes a little later of the others and causes some distraction.. hell, some things are so dificult.
valis

Post by valis »

What is native sampler?
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Just to add the one alternative device that has been very very reliable with midiclock due to seperate midi in-out processors on each in-out.Miditemp Mp88W or cdw.
We use the cdw modell for 10 years now and its the best routing-keyzoning-splitting-sequencer-audioplayer-midi transformer ever IMO.Its also expensive as hell but you can find used ones.Its mostly a live device but also super handy in the studio as you can switch the whole studio midi routing on the remote and there are 128 routing slots per bank....
Its the Mothership of all Midi processors.

We usually feed it from a 1040 ste with 3 mb ram and the unitor2.Also from a macbook.Today the Innerclock box is probably better for you.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

valis wrote:What is native sampler?
http://www.google.es/#hl=es&biw=1440&bi ... a721dd317e
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

Fluxpod wrote:Today the Innerclock box is probably better for you.
Curious device the Miditemp, but I dont understand exactly what you mean. It seems that I should have just the same problem as I have with the QY70. Problem is that midi recorder/player is time relative, not absolute, so important is accuracy within each beat, but probably if you play 120 beats with two diferent midi devices they ll not get to the end at the same time. Thats seems the reason that expensive device works. Takes the audio position that is sample accurate, and send a midi clock that makes 120 beats last 1 minute, no more, and no less. Using just midi, is not that important if are 59,90 secondos or 1:05 minutes.

I have found this: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... rface.html

And this: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/3624005-post2.html
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

The gm5 interface,the 5x5 is awsome and beats the unitor-amt8 in every aspekt.Its a do it yourself kit tho.This device is using the gm5 technology.http://www.musonik.com/index.php/terras ... i-one.html Its not cheap for a 1-1 in/out cable but should deliver good results.But seriously.Midiclock is a bitch to get right.With the atari and the miditemp we managed to get to 20mins without hearing drift but that is about as good as it gets.

Try the midi cable i linked or if you want no compromise the synclock.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

Fluxpod wrote:The gm5 interface,the 5x5 is awsome and beats the unitor-amt8 in every aspekt.Its a do it yourself kit tho.This device is using the gm5 technology.http://www.musonik.com/index.php/terras ... i-one.html Its not cheap for a 1-1 in/out cable but should deliver good results.But seriously.Midiclock is a bitch to get right.With the atari and the miditemp we managed to get to 20mins without hearing drift but that is about as good as it gets.

Try the midi cable i linked or if you want no compromise the synclock.
Do you think is any advantage of the DIY instead of the cable regarding performance? Test results are better the Midex-8, what is famous for its stability, so the GM5 seems a very good choice, even the cable if performs the same.. but who knows, is all that has the pcb in micro-electronic inside that cable?
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

The cable is a single port out of the 5x5.If you only need one port and do not have a solder iron which is temp controlled or solder experience get the cable.If you want diy get the kit.Both perform the same IME.

EDIT:For best Performance you NEED!!!! to install the drivers tho.It works plug n play but with the drivers it gets really really good!And you can cascade several of these cables.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

Fluxpod wrote:The cable is a single port out of the 5x5.If you only need one port and do not have a solder iron which is temp controlled or solder experience get the cable.If you want diy get the kit.Both perform the same IME.

EDIT:For best Performance you NEED!!!! to install the drivers tho.It works plug n play but with the drivers it gets really really good!And you can cascade several of these cables.
Sounds promising, thomann seems dont have them on stock, is a very new product? I ll have to check your link to find out the shipping cost to Spain.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Its pretty new yes.Maybe google around or ask a musik shop in spain if they can handle import for you. :)
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

I have just ordered two units here, http://www.musik-schmidt.de/Terrasoniq-MIDI-One.html
22,90 eur each plus 10 shipping.
Come that special drivers with the device or should I need to download on any special site?
I know it can works as in or out, but at the same time? I has only one midi din, so should need a midi box.. I bought two for more posibilities.
I expect to have good timing withing the DAW, but still not sure I will sell or not the QY70. I want to try if will sync as slaved from Reaper, maybe could be useful that way if the midi one cable sends a good clock from Reaper. But I have a problem, I should need a midi merger, sofware or a hardware box to can merge the clock from Reaper and the midi input from the keyboard or Edrum, I think both (sofware or box) will add some jitter.
The synclock is quite expensive really, but seems attractive, lets see what happen with the midi one cable.
Regaring playing (not quantizing), I still have to see if the midi one cable helps them, still doubt if they suffer from windows interrupts or because of the midi driver jitter. STS sampler is tight, very tight, but dont work ok on x64, and the 5.1 x86 version give me missing samples. The Scope 4.0 worked ok, with the limit of 600mb of samples. That things that work perfect and are not developed frustrate me a bit.
Cochise

Post by Cochise »

Sorry, what's the jitter in ms for a quantized midi track played by the QY and recorded (midi) in Reaper, having the QY as clock master and the native sequencer as slave?