CAN CONTROL - new plugin for Scope - need beta testers

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

Shroomz~>

Re: CAN CONTROL - new plugin for Scope - need beta testers

Post by Shroomz~> »

Hi Frederic,

The more testers, the better. :)
I'll send the download link to you in a private message in a moment or two.

best regards,
~Mark
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

I like some of the others only have a cheap set of Behringer HPS3000 headphones & Alesis Monitor II...but I am willing to take a swing at the plate, if you like...btw...it looks FANTASTIC!

Best wishes...

Joel
Joel
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Check your PMs Joel. I've just sent you the download link.

~Mark
fidox

Post by fidox »

hi !

i'd like to test it too,
i'll send you specifications for monitors and headphones tomorrow, cause,
i'm curently at work

plugin looks awsome , btw

regards

matej
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Check your PMs matej. :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Shroomz Ny Brotha' From Anotha' Mutha',
This little device is very nifty.
I am still trying to match up the 3 way drivers in my IEM and having a little trouble matching the sub as I have never done this before. But I am dialing in as we speak.
I am using Blue Sky 2.1's and the 8 Inch Sub is not easy trying to match, but as of now it's close enough to mix w/ the 2.1's until late night, then switch to the IEM's thanks to the Can Control and continue mixing knowing I might only hace to touch up the Bass/sub a little but.
Really great concept.
This leads me to wonder something though and don't be upset w/ me.
I use to play the Satellite Rhodes with the dual 12" Utah speakers and as much as I try to get the panning of my virtual rhodes it comes off sounding like a tremolo, but still acceptabale.
What's missing on the virtual Rhodes panning is the depth that occurs. On the real Rhodes you could hear not only left to right but depth as the panning took place.
You seem to have a nice depth parametrer happening as I used the knobs to go left and right.
Is there a way to attach an LFO panner in series w/ this device and when the panner goes left to right your Can Control could follow by shifting the depth accordingly.
I apologise for changing the topic but I couldn't help from hearing the sublteties in this device, and remembering sounds of Yore...

This is really nifty device and will make touching up headphone mixes much faster now.
Thanks So Much.
AS usual the graphics are Top Shelf...
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

brings me back memories of the mod version i did a while back
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25499

tho mine was a very crude attempt.

I'd be glad to help in whatever way possible. Just that I've got only next week, and then I'm gone to Tokyo for 2 weeks where I don't have my scope setup. I have akg240, and etymotic er4p to test on.

eq compensation and crossfeed will be especially helpful for IEM since they usually suffer from limited bandwidth and perfect seal. especially single driver ones like mine.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:You seem to have a nice depth parametrer happening as I used the knobs to go left and right.
Which knobs did you use 'to go left and right'? There should be no panning on this device. Perhaps you need the ability to simulate asymmetrical speaker placement? That's something which isn't possible in the first beta release, as I thought it would be more useful to keep it symmetrical. I may consider implementing the ability to move the stereo image, but nobody has asked for that feature to be added & it wouldn't be what you're looking for by the sound of things.

~Mark
dawman

Post by dawman »

Actually the depth ( sample delay ) is what I was referring to.
It gives the illusion of depth, not so much left and right, but to and 'fro.
The old satellite Rhodes cabinet did that while panning left to right, and naturally I am from another century and always hear old equipment in my sleep.
I have tried Medhi's 3LFO device in the mixers and get a much better pan than the panning devices give. But if the sample delay knob could follow the LFO somehow,.........anyway it's absurd I know. But that is the sound of Yore that nobody seems to miss other than me.
I could only imagine that attached to Creamware's B2003 model......ooops....there I go again.

Meanwhile back at the ranch...
The Can Control is matching up my 2.1 Blue Sky's to my 3 Way IEM's nicely. The psuedo Sub that is the 3rd way of the 3 ways sounds damn close to a real sub.
I can only imagine it is because of the proximity to my Ear drum.
This device you made is a nice way to mix late at night w/o bothering anyone and retaining a very close rendition of the Blue Sky's and their 8 inch sub.

Ankyuvarymush.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

The x-feed delay parameter is nothing more than a part of what helps in simulating listening to monitor speakers & the shape of your triangular relationship with your monitor speakers.

What I find strange is that nobody has asked for a LR pan parameter at the input stage, since it would be pretty useful for tuning in your desired settings.

I'm also interested in whether people think it's important to have the ability to simulate asymmetric speaker placement & if so, how they'd like to see that being approached.

best regards,
~Mark
dawman

Post by dawman »

Could you have the highs separated from the Mids, and have more parameters like slight LR adjustments, while leaving the highs unaffected?
I can see where the highs and lows should remain constant, but I seem to hear low mids and mids bring placed around more in 5.1 and quad mixes than highs or lows.

Not trying to change the subject here, but every major mastering facility I had the priveledge to work in had gigantic Urei Monitors above the windows, and then 4 or 5 more sets or nearfields, mid-fields and even little bitty Bose style monitors so they could mix on all and get a reference point for the master.

With a few more little tricks to better emulate an a-symetric speaker placement, and some multi band pan tricks, wouldn't this device be a great reference if the presets made matched the several types of monitors a certain studio uses?

That would be pretty re-Mark-able ( ankyu ), as well as very Mark-etable ( ankyu ) product.
As I have stated I am getting a real decent 2.1 to 3 Way Stereo IEM match up already.
So IMHO, anything else you add is icing on the cake.

I really like the way devices you make go off into really focused directions like the Spinners, and now maybe this little Beaute...

I didn't buy my IEM's but they would cost anywhere from 8-1275 USD depnding on the accessories. But wearing them have made me want to buy a high quality set of phones, but in all honesty, once you walk around your house with no wires and can mix while you take a dump, and have control over the frequencies of the stereo sub of a 3 way, regular bulky phones w/ wires, really have nothing to offer me. Besides I get these free, and they even have a great gated mic diaphram, the same that Sennheiser uses.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Could you have the highs separated from the Mids, and have more parameters like slight LR adjustments, while leaving the highs unaffected?
I can see where the highs and lows should remain constant, but I seem to hear low mids and mids bring placed around more in 5.1 and quad mixes than highs or lows.
This isn't a surround device, so why would you use it for surround mixes? It just doesn't relate to surround mixing at all, never mind surround mixing on headphones. :-?

~Mark
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Oh yes Shroomz it would be great if you created this.
I'm willing to help pay if that's what you need.

Grace audio use these in their headphone amps.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Yes, Grace design's m902 reference headphone amp uses a similar crossfeed system, although I don't think it's user editable. There's also Lavry Engineering's LavryBlack DA11 Stereo DA Converter which uses what they're patenting as 'PIC' or 'Playback Image Control™', which again is without a doubt using something similar.

Btw Music Manic, CAN CONTROL has been out for beta testing for about 2 weeks. If you want to beta test it let me know.

~Mark
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

You made you research on these technos and it's amazing. Care to give us some more details about it?

Thanks in advance Shroomz and respect.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

It's based on Crossfeed EQ

Some links to more info -

SOS - Mixing On Headphones (In this article the free Crossfeed EQ plugin is mentioned as a very useful tool).

Lavry Engineering's Playback Image Control™'

~Mark
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

A lot to assimilate and to apply to scope (Plain explanation of why I am addicted to this platform)!

Thanks and respects again!
ebrjvd

Post by ebrjvd »

I 'v been using cans for several decades, and built analog crossfeed devices with and without delay.
Would be much interested to compare results.
Cans: Sennheiser HD25, Beyer DT880, Koss ESP9, Sony CD3000
Speakers: Genelec 2029B + 7050, Quad ESL54
Jos Van Dyck
NGM bvba

(TripleDAT addict)
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Check your private messages Jos. :)

~Mark
Polarity