Is Sonic Core still alive

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

happycritter

Re: Is Sonic Core still alive

Post by happycritter »

Neil B wrote: Seriously, there is NO BETTER than Scope - end of story.
If like me you can't afford an Xite at the moment, get something simple as a stop gap, and start saving your money up. It's worth every penny/cent/whatever currency you deal in.
The guys here know my trusty Pulsar 2 card is no more & I'm saving up. (I'm a Cubase user BTW)
What can I say to convince you? After 4 months, I am really missing My Pulsar card, my Scope and I can't wait to get an Xite.

Gary is right - if the problem is budget (like me), so be it, and we all understand that problem.
If it's a toss up between Xite or something else, then there is no contest. Save up for one, buy one or withdraw humbly.
My introduction to SCOPE was through a friend who had a rather nice studio at the time, and he ran a 2xPulsarII setup. The quality of the sound out of his studio was fabulous, and he didn't have too many namebrand gadgets (Just a Soundcraft Ghost 32, good mics, RNP & RNC, 2x Distressors, and few other items, and that was it). I finally accepted that PC audio had arrived. What I deduced was that it was the cards that made the large difference. Sadly, he divested from his studio and went with Firewire interfaces on a laptop and I've heard nothing but complaints from him about his rig since then (whereas, when he ran SCOPE there was always a smile).

Most accounts say the XITE sounds even better than the Pulsar IIs, so I save my pennies for the real deal. It seems as though it will exceed my needs even after I grow into 'needing' more DSP horsepower. I look at a project studio as just that - projects. Using the ease of wave editors for composing/trial-and-error for songs and fleshing out ideas that need further development. Anyways, I see the XITE as the mainstay of my audio platform - for decades.

Lastly, the XITE and its SDK will provide me with a playground for developing some DSP tools, and if met with success, some of these tools will be of benefit to other XITE users. I just received my MATLAB license and have a whole summer to learn some hardcore DSP coding (and, it appears there is a MATLAB to SHARC compiler out there).
xw8400
2.33 GHz Xeon Quad core (E5345 Socket 771) x2
32Gb ECC buffered memory
AMD HD7700
Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb root drive
Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
Sonar Platinum
XITE-1 (flipping awesome!)
emotive

Post by emotive »

Bud Weiser wrote:Meanwhile I more and more DON´T understand what you´re complaining about.

[...]

O.k.,- when such feature like the Chord Editor is SOOOOOOOOOO important for you,- my 3rd assumption is, you´re a (eventually very young) amateur musician w/o knowledge about music theory, eventually also w/o knowledge about other recording and mixing related theory, don´t have XITE-1D or XITE-1, but come to a forum of mostly advanced users of formerly Creamware and S|C hardware and software and type endless and senseless posts.

When we talk about SCOPE and XITE,- any featuritis-talk about native VST host applications belongs to the "OFF-TOPIC" thread, you know.
While you make useful contributions, your assumptions are less than welcome.

This is General Scope, so we can talk about native or anything musically related.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote:Bud, there's no longer Cakeland products.
Ooops,.- I hoped they make cookies now ... :D
dawman wrote: Roland bailed on them, not sure who bought the software.
Sonar is still sold by Cakewalk, I visited their website.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
emotive

Post by emotive »

Neil B wrote:If you imagine that Sonic Core is a location, this is the bar where everybody chats & sorts things out. You will need the members here as friends.

Time to choose
I already own hardware bro
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

f*ck this is so old already.
"hey I got a problem. it doesn't work"
"are you doing something like this?"
"don't make assumptions"
"are you doing things like this?"
"you don't know what I'm doing, stop assuming things. my mixer isn't treating my mono audio like a 2 year old"
"We've done this for 18 years, here's how it works"
"Shut up, stop your assumptions... I love chords!"

6 pages of what?

On more important news....
Anyone look at the new monster that Simon is working on? He has added remote control of the MRC in modular, so you can connect your controller directly to the MRC knobs, so you can control regular old modules that don't have cable connections for functions. I think he's going to build DAW integration next...oh wait! Will and Simon already did that too. In both Max4Live AND in a VST. Better than 10000x better resolution than MIDI (really), with 64 controls, and NO jitter, with fixed latency. Amazing. Send them beer!

Also, I'm knee deep in a bass modular patch that I'm calling Perseus, because it'll cut the head off any Moog Minitaur. My bowels are now regular again, the whole neighborhood has felt the "O" tone for the first time, and the Buffalo have begun to migrate out of town in anticipation of this cauldera in my basement exploding.

Yep, my S|C XITE is VERY much alive.
emotive

Post by emotive »

jksuperstar wrote:Yep, my S|C XITE is VERY much alive.
and so are my 3x Pulsar II cards.

You are right about assumptions, they certainly don't help anyone and really demonstrate a "high brow" attitude towards general users and futher entrences the low take-up of Creamware/Sonic Core products.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Bud Weiser wrote:But to be fair,- one of the (fixable) issues w/ loading presets is the path for finding "modules" and "samples" etc..
The devices were done in a old SDK and presets were created in old SCOPE versions,- so the application now looks in different locations and finds nothing.

Now, when I own just only ONE (1) Power Pulsar or SCOPE Pro PCI card and a XITE-1, it doesn´t make much difference if I run p.ex. Solaris v5 on the card or the XITE-1,- I´ll still get not more than 2 or 3 voices on both systems and the application will still search for modules and samples in different locations as long you don´t fix the path in each preset and re-save, which is unfortunately extremely boring and time consuming.
Hi Bud :-)

If the Zarg synths looks for files in locations which do not exist, maybe you can fix this by creating these locations and placing copies of the files in these locations?

Edited due to a quotation error
Last edited by Immanuel on Fri May 02, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
hubird

Post by hubird »

8)
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

For anyone who looks at this link and wonders about SC's support quality...
Although I am now happily enjoying an Xite-1, I have been using antiquated creamware cards on various machines for many years.
I have had to contact SC on many occasions for transferring serial keys, general ' how to ' tips, and tech support in getting the old cards to work on modern pc's / operating systems.
Although they had absolutely zero obligation to offer me any kind of assistance, I have always been helped and supported by quality people who have a passion for what they are doing and a connection with it, and not by some brainless twerps working on a huge multi-customer helpdesk who dont care or use their own products...
Find me one company which is still happy to help me, free of charge, supporting 14 year old cards, from which they make absolutely zero from doing....
They also have an active presence in the audio forums so although they do not post stuff on the SC site everyday, those in the know jusy keep an eye on the forums for the most up to date news on / developments etc.
I often discuss this topic with friends in the audio business in that it seems when you buy into the SC universe, you are getting something better yet far more 'human' than with any other high end audio product out there.....plus the fact CW/SC used to work (and maybe still do) in an old space telescope..how cool is that :-)
SC are the Rolls Royce of audio...imo nothing comes even close......
dawman

Post by dawman »

Great name aunty.... :lol:
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

haha - there are others....auntyseptic, auntyvenom - we used to all be part of an onlime gaming 'clan' many many years ago :-)
dawman

Post by dawman »

I'd be auntysocial as contact with my own species, has always been disappointing.

Captain Nemo in Jules Verne 20,000 Leagues Beneath The Sea Metro/Goldwyn/Mayer
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

there is already an auntysocial, unfortunately :-) there were many of us in the clan :-)
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

An, but is there an auntydisestablishmentarianism yet :)
dante

Post by dante »

Can't say ... Because the answer might be a double negative :lol: :lol:
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

haha, no we never used auntydisestablishmentarianism :-) mainly as it exceeded the character limit for an in game user name :-)
So you are more than welcome......

ps - i think auntymatter, and auntydote were free as well :-)
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Oh, how auntyclimactic!
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

On the other hand it is not cool not to have corrected drivers waves in recordings :evil: (64 bits environment)

So much time I'm waiting for that ! :oops:
Sonic Core Luna II + Pulsar II scope v5.1.2709-x64, Cubase 9.0.20 (64), Pro Tools 12.7, Wavelab element 9 (64), windows 8.1 pro (64), Asus P6T 18Go RAM core i7 920, SSL Duende Native - Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle - Waves - Sonnox
foxnhound33

Post by foxnhound33 »

My take:
SCOPE in all of its incarnations is to me an INSTRUMENT. This isn't its only use, but one of its very primary functions. If you look back historically on the computer instruments that changed the world, say the CMI or Synclavier, SCOPE has far less of the eccentricities that they did/do for the modern day user.

We are extremely lucky to have an instrument that doesn't require hours of logic testing to maintain, and a constant hunger for obscure parts. Try keeping a Synclavier alive, even at the height of its success this was a $10,000 a year feat, if you could get the technicians.

For me, the only things that would ever, could ever make SCOPE better are

1.) always more software development (users are eternally hungry for more, this is a good thing)

2.) truly analog filters available for the synths to use, built into the hardware (can easily be done with outboard MIDI controlled synths, also, this is a ridiculous pipe dream of mine)

Thus, I feel the product is very mature, alive (just look at the lack of communication from the current incantation of CMI) with just the usual eternal need/strong desire for ever more and more software development

Thats without considering what I believe to be without a doubt one of the best sounding digital synths every created (up their with the greats: Yamaha, CMI, Synclavier), which means we are uber lucky to have this epic instrument and a mature product all in one.

Also, no harm to MAX users, but I have to laugh when they try to convince me how good their oscillators are sounding in the new version of MAX. In my mind, why not just start with brilliant oscillators? Why have to fix them?
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

Very agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!