One of the biggest decisions in my life

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

spoimala

Post by spoimala »

Right now I feel I need to open up on somebody. Luckily there's a planet out there where I can speak of my feelings. :smile:

A few years I've been in IT business, as software developer/designer/programmer. And you know, one gets a decent money for that.

But it's not my passion. All my life I've hoped that I could take care of my living by music. By composing, by playing or having a studio. Whatever. Music I love.

Now, totally unexpected, I was offered a job as a keyboard player in an entertaining band. They would do ca. 100performances a year (that's 2-3 a week with a few free weeks ). And I'd get paid ...well, something. Not nearly as good as as a software developer. But I'm sure I'd enjoy that job. I'd have many whole weekdays free. Time to play with my CW stuff :grin:

But it would be a big commitment. Most of the weekend playing around the country...

That's difficult question. And not least for the deteriorating income. Maybe I could work as a part-time developer... I don't know. Have to ask and think.

Thanks for listening :smile:
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

I don't think we can realy answer that one for you. It depends on your personality.

How much do you need security is one mayor question. If you need much security and choose a path with very little of it, you may not be happy - no matter how much passion you have for that path.

How do you like your present job? You know, what you have - or do you? We live in a time, where many jobs are temporary.

Do you like the people in the band? Can you get along with them well enough to be able to "stand" them 4 o'clock in the morning, when everybody are tirred, and you need to take down the gear?

Would you feel bitter on your old days, if you didn't take the jump? Maybe having done it is worth it in terms of life satisfaction later in life - nomatter how it goes?

Do you have a wife/girlfriend and kids? One of the jobs may fit family life better than the other. how much of a priority is that to you?

There are many things playing a role, when you take this decision. These where the first ones, that came to my mind, when I read your post.
snoopy4ever

Post by snoopy4ever »

Wow Spoimala!..

That's a very hard decision.., I'd like to give my own experience here.., wich is similar (not the same as yours), but so far I'm really happy..,... I'm also a software engineer, I've been working on this for about 7 years now.., and I really like it, though it's not what I was feeling pashion for. I recently announced my new venture as a Recording Studio owner. I decided to go for that way, you know mostly because it's what my heart tell me to go for (as crazy as it may sound), but also because that way I can keep working on my regular job and paying the bills, also I don't have a wife nor children (that I'm aware of :roll:, kidding :wink: ), therefore I can be more flexible on economic decisions.., it's been only 2 months my studio is running properly., so far the answer of people is being good, it's just an early stage, I know it could take me years to get enough prestige and clients to start thinking about quiting my job now, but this way I keep my options open, and no matter how it ends.. I won't regret of it..

Hope this little crazy story helps you

Snoopy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: snoopy4ever on 2004-03-09 16:18 ]</font>
astroman

Post by astroman »

On 2004-03-09 15:21, spoimala wrote:
...That's difficult question. And not least for the deteriorating income. Maybe I could work as a part-time developer... I don't know. Have to ask and think.

Thanks for listening :smile:
that's a good start: think about it.
It is an important decision, so don't fool yourself and consider pro and cons.

I admit that your comment (and snoopy's) about the software industry rings some of my own memories - being in that business for about 20 years now.

There's a lot of passion and inspiration missing today, and things only vaguely related to the subject are suddenly called informatics.
I'm really not the one to insist on 'back then it was so much better...'
I'm an active sportsman and that attitude would be a nogo in itself.
But the business side of the software industry really took over - craftsmanship and creativity don't count that much today.

Well, enough complaints - let's look ahead and make the best of it :wink:
Spoimala you've learned something on the job - that's the most important fact.
And you now do HAVE some experience, fact 2: you're not a beginner anymore.
If you're smart enough (and willing to learn and keep in contact with your former 'business' subject) you always can return.

Regarding a part time job be prepared doing that business on your own.
I'm not much informed about the situation in your homeland, but here upto 100k jobs in the IT are (possibly) due to be 'near-' or 'off-shored' to regions starting a little more east from where you are.

The 'job' opportunity with the band is a pretty unique thing probably and of course greately benefits from not being too old :wink:
If I imagined myself in one of those idol shows... naahhh
but age 20 I swear I had been in :lol:

So whatever you decide, the current job may not be as safe as it looked, and stage-life might annoy you terribly after the initial thrills - you can never be completely shure.

But as Snoopy (and others here) mentioned: to do a job where all your passion goes is something invaluable.

play it cool and best wishes for your future, Tom :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2004-03-09 20:04 ]</font>
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

A tough decision. When I've faced decisions like this I've always looked for an "insurance policy". That means I try to ensure I have some fall-back options.

Can you simply take a year off work as "leave of absence rather than resigning ? Spin them any old story, but assure them you still want your job, but simply have to leave for a while, but will be back. Then if everything falls over you can still go back to work with no hassles. Many employres are OK with this sort of thing.

If that doesn't happen, then how employable are you ? How difficult would it be to get a good job again if the music doesn't worjk out ? If you are confident of getting another job pretty easily then that should make you feel more relaxed about "taking a chance" with music.

With the keyboards position can you see much future beyond a year ? Will there be opportunuities for more contacts, other jobs, and an expansion beyond touring ?

It sounds like a great adventure, definitely something to look back in in later years, whereas "just another year" programming will soon be forgotten in the grand progression of the things. And any income difference will, in later times also be forgotten. It's the experience and unique memories (good or bad!) that will remain with you.
wayne

Post by wayne »

all i can add is that i made this choice upon leaving school 20 odd years ago. Most of the people i grew up with are now making plenty of money, own houses etc, whereas i am perfectly happy owning nothing but instruments.

an angle to dwell on is whether you will have to play music you don't care for to make ends meet - this can be a lot worse than the most mundane day-job :wink:

I'm sure you'll make the right decision, especially with all the caring advice you'll get here :smile:
jabney

Post by jabney »

hi Spoimala,

Two questions to ask yourself:

1. Do you always want to take only the highest-paying job?

2. Is the lowest paying job (that you would consider) paying low enough to survive a bad economy?

Best wishes in your decision.

john
siberiansun

Post by siberiansun »

maybe this doesn't apply if you have a family to provide for but if you don't:

playing in an entertainment band often means free meals :smile:
now that may sound a bit "so what" but think about it, at least you save some 50 euros a week just by eating out for free.
if you recieve your salary legally, as in OVER the table you have the possibility to make tax deductions (spell?) on whatever musical gear you're buying.

in sweden some club owners always try to pay "under the table" but to me that just doesn't fly since i'm constantly buying gear and i really need those deductions.

i know this don't make major differences but at least that's TWO economical advantages of turning your life upside down :wink:

i work half time right now and play in an entertainment band 2 times a week. i've managed to schedule my "real job" tuesday-thursday giving me plenty of time to compose, relax, rehearse/play with my band, recover from massive hangovers an so on.

of course i'm not rich but i've never been more at peace.

good luck and may sweden always kick finland's ass in ice hockey :smile:!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: siberiansun on 2004-03-10 20:05 ]</font>
madmod

Post by madmod »

Hi There Dude,
I have done the touring life these are the facts...
1) It gets boring very quick..
2) The money is poor and the conditions are poor even if you are in a big name band.no paid holidays, no sick leave, so if you get sick on the road which most likely will the case you will be up s**t creek in a barbed wire canoe..
3) And if the bass player sleeps with the lead singers girl, you are up s**t creek, becouse you have a lay over getting a new bass player.
4) Drummer breaks his arm, you are up s**t creek,
5) You break your arm you will be up s**t creek in a barbed wire canoe with no paddle.
6) Now if you are doing your own stuff then it is a little different becouse you can claim royalies e.t.c... and the hope that you strike it big, but if you are not a principle writer in the band then you get jack.
7)If you are doing covers you get jack and will go now were..
:cool:touring is a drain on your relationship and your health.
9) You are more than likely going to live in the bus, so get use to sleeping sitting up & also with broken sleep
10) Promoters, booking agents & bar owners are out for them selves and will most likely screw you if they get a chance.

Doing your own stuff??
Q Why do most big bands and up and coming bands get a tour allowence???
A Becouse it is hard to make money on the road.

Hope that helps
Regards
Madmod

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: madmod on 2004-03-10 20:48 ]</font>
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

That's a great & sobering list Madmod ! :eek: Can you think of 10 good points as well ? Maybe if things go right instead of going wrong ? You know, along the lines of:
1) Spotted by A&R rep
2) Teenage girls think the band is great
3) Confidence-building stage experience
etc

Sounds like you've got some great on-the-road stories there...
garyb

Post by garyb »

if you need money at least keep a side job.i don't know of many who are really fit for touring as a profession.just know,it is underpaid work and very demanding.the worst is being excited by songs that you have learned to hate years ago.the other musicians you work with are probably all jerks or terrorists.

anyone telling you to give up a steady gig for unsteady pay(you can get fired SO easily by the audience and the band leader's worse),is no friend...

i have found musicians are often optomists which generally makes things o.k.. if the situation looked good I'D do it,but i can be retarded.

guidance!
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

Thank you very much, brothers. PlanetZ is such a wonderful place!
I am not expecting anyone to tell me what to do. Instead, I was hoping exactly what I got: different points of view and experiences from others.
And the possibility to open up to somebody. So, I don't have wife or children to take care of.
Security. What is secure these days? Nothing I guess. At least, not in IT business :wink:
I don't know the people in the band, haven't even seen other than two of them.

Madmod has some very good points. Have to think carefully.
But tax deductions sound great. As I am an "totally obsessed Gear geek", it would help a lot.
Maybe I could try, do maybe one year the touring, and then reconsider. If the band succeeds, the income will go up and up... and then I could leave my day-job.

I'm sure that if I won't take this chance, I'll regret my whole life not doing what like. Or, what I THINK I like. Have to try it.
But. i think I need more money than this band alone can offer, so next week I'm going to have a discussion with my employer and I'll ask if he is OK with a part-time job. Or maybe remote job? Taking a laptop and GPRS cell phone to the tours? Coding in a hotel when other guys are sleeping and snoring in their hangovers, sounds nice. :smile:
Nisse

Post by Nisse »

I definately think you should go for it if you feel you really want to try it. It sounds like the kind of opportunity that doesnt come along every day.

And if it doesnt work out. . . whats stopping you from trying to find an IT job again?

I wish you luck, man!
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind.

/Mahatma Gandhi
coc999

Post by coc999 »

Hello Spoimola , just to add my 2 euros , if you don't try you will never know :smile: and as you say maybe you can loose few months of your life to experiment a new road , if you don't enjoy you can come back to the initial point ...Of my experience after 10 years of everyday job i stopped 1 year to do "the artist life" mixing , composing , experimenting in one word my dream freeeedom , but i discover that for many reasons it is not really my trip , i don't look that like a defeat because when i came back in the standardized world i was more motivated , less frustrated and mored positive and more clear about where i am and where i go ....if you choose to tour it can not be bad and if you keep your job as part time it will be cool :smile:
Sacha.