How to get midi working on an iMac using Edirol UM-2 USB and

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

petal

Post by petal »

Hi all

I'm working with MAX/MSP at the moment on a borrowed iMac, and I want to be able to control my Max-patch from my PC. Now I have a midi-interface, but the midi-setup and drivers are somewhat different than what I am used to. I have installed the UM2-driver, the Free-midi driver and the OMS-driver, but I still can't get any midi through - and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Can anybody help me (Kensuguro perhaps :wink: )

Cheers!
Thomas :smile:
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

You have to prepare your midi setup in the OMS Setup app: Open the app and from the 'File" menu choose create new midi setup. The app should see now your midi interface and show you more things like IAC driver, Quicktime music and Studio Patches pgm. You can safely delete the quicktime music while the IAC driver is useful - it's used if you want to connect two midi apps inside one mac. From the "Edit" menu choose "Oms midi setup and activate 'Run Midi in background' feature. In "Edit" menu also look at the preferences and activate both options regarding AppleTalk - this will ensure you if the AppleTalk is off it should be for midi work sometimes. Save the setup and make it active. Now you can safely close the app (OMS setup). Now each app (including the Max/Msp should see your midi ins and outs :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-07-23 14:47 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-07-23 14:49 ]</font>
petal

Post by petal »

Cool - I'll try that out when I get home from work.

Thanks a lot Samplaire!

Cheers!
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

also, once you're pretty sure you've got the drivers set up properly, make sure you've set your max match properly.

you'd want to use a "notein" object, and then tie that up to a "stripnote". Remember that "notein" accepts arguments like device, and channel. So you can specify "notein a 15" so that the patch recieves channel 15 from device a.

I'm not really sure if you're familiar with max patching or not... if you're not, chances are, it's harder to get the patch working than to set up the MIDI drivers.

I'm going to be heading off to San Diego today, to present a massive max/msp patch (how timely), so I won't be around on planetz for a week or so. But feel free to e-mail me. Max/MSP can result in death if you don't start off right.
petal

Post by petal »

Hi again

I can't make this **** **** work! I'm pretty sure that all the drivers have been installed now, but when I run the OMS setup, it doesn't see the UM2-mididevice and I don't understand why cause the driver for this device seems to recognice the device but OMS doesn't see anything else than the IAC, the Quicktime-driver and "Studio Patches pgm chg" - but no midi-driver for the UM2-device!?

Any ideas?

And Kensuguro thanks for the input, but I'm simply not that far in the process yet, but when I get that far and I still can't make it work, I might take you up on that email-offer.

Cheers!
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Is the Midi interface USB one? Is so then make sure all the corresponding drivers (USB overall) are installed in your Extensions folder) - then - make sure the Interface's OMS driver is placed in the system folder/opocode or omms folder (don't remember exactly but in the place other OMS drives are placed)
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

If none helps then try to ask the same question on Cubase.net forum. Sure you'll find your answer, no doubt. Hope this helps, Petal :smile:
petal

Post by petal »

Woohuuuu!!! It works :grin:

It didn't work because I'm a fool and didn't read Samplaires excelent instructions correctly untill I had allmost given up.... I thought I had installed the UM2 OMS-driver, but I had only installed the FreeMidi - DOH!

Ahh well now it works and I have gained control over the parameters I needed to gain control over in MAX.

AHhhhahaha - when stuff works it is so cool :smile:

Thanks a lot to both of you!

Cheers!
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Will you show us the results of your work????? :smile:
petal

Post by petal »

Well, the composing part hasn't really started yet. I'm still building suitable instrument for the project, which is to explore the possibilities in a custommade multispeaker-system containing 2 circles of 8 speakers each in different hieghts.
The speakersystem gives you control over position in 360 degrees, and width of the soundsource (1-100%) and height (-10 - 10).

I have about two weeks from now to complete something interesting. If I succeed I will post the result, allthough it is composed specially for the multispeakersystem called F.I.D.S.E. placed at LAB here in Copenhagen.

Cheers!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Petal on 2003-07-24 17:12 ]</font>
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Good luck, Thomas :smile:
petal

Post by petal »

Thank you very much :smile: