What is Joana ?

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Re: What is Joana ?

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:37 pm
dante wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:20 pm ... I don't see any reason to exclude anyone when we don't even know what it is :lol:
because this became a speculation thread !

:D

Bud
Well, me not seeing a reason to exclude anything isn't speculation - coz I don't !
rawkhard

Post by rawkhard »

if anyone forgot, this was discussed 3 years ago:
the19thbear wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:41 am Ok. Just got off the phone. Called their offices. I live in Denmark which is just "on top" of Germany.

The polite guy I talked to said that there will be no support for mac with scope (at least he said that it didnt really make sense).
Bohoooo:(

But I have got some very exiting news!
They are working on a new product. He said that he hoped they would release it within a year or two.
It probably would not be directly compatible with scope, but would be built around the same flexible architecture. Would allow 3rd party developers for plugins etc. The old dsp plugins should generally be compatible, but would need conversion etc.
This unit would be mac compatible.

This was all him just speaking of the top of his head, so expect things to be very different in the end, but it was super nice to hear!
I got all nostalgic talking to a guy from SonicCore. I want to work there now:)

I'm pretty beefed up now! I could go back to Soniccore eventually.
Was great to talk to him.
Weird how a piece of hardware or software can hold so much emotional power. It's like listening to old records I listened to in my youth. Somehow a part of my life is tied up in the scope platform. I'm weird!

Have a great day.
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

good luck girl! ...and hopefully well tested and without birth defects

now i understand why he doesn't have time for my keymodule. :wink:
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

Topic Re: Wish for new atom (osc)
Spielraum wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:27 am i would welcome it in advance if old dsp programmers would report back to release the old atoms or adapt them to the new dsp's... e.g. the old sq-atoms. that doesn't seem to fall within holger's area of responsibility, otherwise after 14 years of XITE one or the other birth defect would have been corrected, i think. i hope that the errors are not transferred to JOANA...
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
dante

Post by dante »

I’ll predict there won’t be any carry over bugs from Scope coz it won’t be Sharc based. I’ll be extremely surprised if theres any more R&D/invest spend on those - other than 1 last scope software update - perhaps.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

Holger told me it specifically would be sharc based. But newer sharcs. He also said it specifically wasn’t a sound card. It would be windows Linux and macOS supported. Would be released next year. But he could not say more. I hope they succeed with their product. Then it could generate some income into making a sound could maybe.

But I cannot confirm that it has anything to do with Joanna. Don’t know what that is.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Spielraum wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:19 am now i understand why he doesn't have time for my keymodule. :wink:
which keymodule ???
tell us more plz !

:)

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:45 pm I’ll predict there won’t be any carry over bugs from Scope coz it won’t be Sharc based. I’ll be extremely surprised if theres any more R&D/invest spend on those - other than 1 last scope software update - perhaps.
I cannot imagine Holger will leave the XITE customers in the dust w/ just only a last SCOPE update somewhere this year as also I cannot imagine he doesn´t have existing XITE users as potential JOANA buyers in mind too.

Like "the19thbear" below, I already guessed it WILL be SHARC based still,- but w/ new SHARCs,- maybe these used in JB Solaris or newer.
It might also be possible, JOANA,- regardless what it really will be finally,- might complement XITE-1 and SCOPE in a for XITE users interesting way AND can be used "standalone" as an audio/MIDI-interface w/ ASIO/ AU (Win, Linux, Mac).
And it would be ice on the cake when network connectivity for audio and MIDI (if it will have MIDI or MIDI2) is planned too.

Bud
spacef

Post by spacef »

I asked chat gpt what would be a natural evolution of Scope/Xite ? :-)
I can speculate on some possible directions for product evolution based on general trends in the audio industry during that time period. Please note that this is purely speculative:

Increased processing power: One possible evolution could be the integration of more powerful SHARC DSPs or the utilization of newer generations of DSP technology. This would allow for more complex and resource-intensive audio processing tasks.

Enhanced software ecosystem: With advancements in software technology, an evolution could involve improvements to the software modules and effects available for the Sonic Core products. This could include updates to existing modules, the introduction of new modules, and improved compatibility with industry-standard plugin formats.

Improved connectivity and integration: In response to the growing demand for seamless integration with other audio systems and workflows, an evolution could involve enhanced connectivity options, including support for modern digital audio interfaces and networking protocols.

Streamlined user interface and workflow: A natural evolution might involve refinements to the user interface and workflow of the Sonic Core products, making them more intuitive and efficient for music production and audio processing tasks.

It's important to note that these speculations are based on general trends and possibilities within the audio industry. For accurate and up-to-date information on the evolution of Sonic Core's products, I recommend visiting their official website or contacting them directly for the latest details.
This is what Chat GPT is saying , lol.... sill, no answer... just speculations.
:-)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
SilverScoper

Post by SilverScoper »

Bud Weiser wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:03 am
dante wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:45 pm I’ll predict there won’t be any carry over bugs from Scope coz it won’t be Sharc based. I’ll be extremely surprised if theres any more R&D/invest spend on those - other than 1 last scope software update - perhaps.
I cannot imagine Holger will leave the XITE customers in the dust w/ just only a last SCOPE update somewhere this year as also I cannot imagine he doesn´t have existing XITE users as potential JOANA buyers in mind too.
If Holger fixed some bugs, I don't see how that would be leaving anyone in the dust.
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

Bud Weiser wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:48 am ... which keymodule ??? ...
Key modules for the Styledriver developer for future prospective buyers :wink:
...gifts are great, but make me think, in the current time
...donate S|C to hold PCI/Xite Scope support
SilverScoper

Post by SilverScoper »

spacef wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:08 am I asked chat gpt what would be a natural evolution of Scope/Xite ? :-)

Streamlined user interface and workflow: A natural evolution might involve refinements to the user interface and workflow of the Sonic Core products, making them more intuitive and efficient for music production and audio processing tasks..
VST Mode.

an evolution could involve enhanced connectivity options, including support for modern digital audio interfaces and networking protocols.
Thunderbolt, Dante
Improved connectivity and integration:
Mac compatibility
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

SilverScoper wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:52 pm
VST Mode.
and CLAP (plugin) support.

VST3 ditched the MIDI program changes,- I hate that.
More independence from Steinberg´s paternalism wouldn´t be a mistake IMO.
SilverScoper wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:52 pm Thunderbolt, Dante
These are the most important for me.
But I´m unsure about whether such device like "Joana" urgently has to be a true Dante hardware device or not.
If yes, it will significantly add costs because it needs a Audient card built in.

I can imagine, w/ fast computers, Dante Virtual Soundcard and Dante Controller app as also very efficient SCOPE ASIO, you´re in already.

P.ex. for XITE-1, I´m curently thinking about this AES/EBU-Dante device,-
https://www.thomannmusic.com/dante_avio ... m?reload=1
- just to begin with ...

b.t.w.,- QUESTION to the experts:

When Dante Virtual Soundcard introduces latency of 4ms max.,- will (SCOPE) ASIO latency be added to that value ?
I didn´t find any robust info on this up to now.

SilverScoper wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:52 pm Mac compatibility
That´s for sure very important for Sonic Core and will generate sales.

For me and as a PC user, the already announced LInux compatibility would be a big step forward.
Using my older, not Win11 upgradable, but fast enough machines w/ Linux and a great sounding S|C device is tempting.
Some more independence from Microsoft is very welcome !

Bud
spacef

Post by spacef »

I am no expert at all but I think it is latency to add to Dante latency.
https://dev.audinate.com/GA/dante-contr ... atency.htm
(and have no idea what is joanna, even though i suspect it could be a box that can run a few devices standalone a bit like noah, but i truely have no clue, just speculations, i may be wrong)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
valis

Post by valis »

If you mated to a Dante solution via ASIO, yes the latency is cumulative.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

@SpaceF and Valis:

Interesting,- thank you !

This https://www.esi-audio.com/products/planet22x/ is tested and Bitwig reports 2.9ms @128 samples ASIO buffer.
The other Dante Avio AES3 device mentioned above should be on par.

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

Let's differentiate between network latency, ASIO latency, overall Latency (both one-way and 'round trip' as when monitoring for a live recording) and what Joana may or may not be.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:11 am Let's differentiate between network latency, ASIO latency, overall Latency (both one-way and 'round trip' as when monitoring for a live recording)
Yes,- I´ve read a test in german language,- so makes no sense posting the link here.
These 2.9ms in Bitwig were MIDI-In > audio out (playing a virtual insrument).
I guess, it´s the ASIO latency the host reports,- so add MIDI-In and the ethernet latency which is system/computer-hardware dependend and there might be "some" of the Dante Virtual Soundcard.
BUT,- when a Dante device is connected directly to the host computer running the Virtual Sound Card,- the network latency is extremely low.
It might change when both and more devices are connected to a gigabit ethernet switch then.
valis wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:11 am and what Joana may or may not be.
In question of "Joana" the thread could be closed because S|C won´t tell us what it is and how it works before they´ll announce it officially.
I might be retired when it will be released and is for sale.

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

Correct, in as much as a sound card that has Dante networking and acts as an ASIO host would have a single declared latency versus a chain of devices to achieve the same thing. That was my original point 😉