no sound after dsp assignment ?

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

nebelfuerst

no sound after dsp assignment ?

Post by nebelfuerst »

My projects tend to be big ones, so I sometimes face a dsp routing error on my xite.
This can be solved by assigning some devices to a certain dsp.
I assigned z-link ins and outs with a patchpannel to use DSP7 and it worked for hours.

After reloading the saved project, there is no sound. I have to delete the z-link dest and bring it back into the project.
Clearing the dsp assignment didn't help, I had to remove and add again.

Bug ? Workarounds ? User-error ?
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
yayajohn

Re: no sound after dsp assignment ?

Post by yayajohn »

nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

That article was the reason why I chose DSP7.
But why is the project silent after save and reload ?

If I place my mixer on output different to Z-link, I get interconnect errors. If I force the same DSP, it doesn't work after reloading.
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

not all dsps has connections to any other dsp. so if the automatic distribution algo loads something in a dsp that is not connected to the assigned one there is no sound. this can happen after reload because the auto algorithm is pretty dumb

to test it use a minimal amount of devices and assign to specific dsps all the interconnected modules. then it should work or there is something else.

i am just guessing here because i use the sdk and only manual assignment that always works but i have no exp
erience with the normal scope software

the article mentioned as far as i know and after testing is not accurate. i use dsp 10 for asio...
valis

Post by valis »

What is inaccurate? Anything hosted here I can edit...
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Not sure who posted that info but now that I think about it there may have been some significant changes with the release of Scope 7 in 2017.
I have never manually assigned or I had any I/O issues with DSP’s
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Is there any trick how to keep scope7 from running dump reallocation algo on load ?

The need for manual assignment occured when using the channel element within a larger project. (30% load of xite)
Obviously the auto allocation failed, thus I got an "cannot route..dsp to dsp" error, which was easily resolved by allocating to the recommended new dsps for IO-tasks.
After reload, the forced allocation is still shown at the dsp-menu, but the internal routing seems to be disfunctional.
Using larger devices instead of many small ones, seems to avoid the dsp errors.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Well, I have no knowledge of the inner workings of the software but from my observations the Scope version 7 update seemed to allocate the DSP resources better. In fact I don't think I've had to manually assign anything since then. Of course I haven't pursued every possibility so out of curiosity I was wondering if you could post a screen shot or upload the project file and I'll try it out on my system.
valis

Post by valis »

The question seems to be reloading older projects, in which case perhaps devices that are NOT a part of Scope 7 might be part of the issue? Ie, devices that predate the update from 3rd parties, or etc.

I need to start using my Xite so I can better participate in these discussions :lol:
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

What a bunch of clowns...
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

So here comes the "howto repeat":
Using noise from controlroom goes through mixer, is then spread to a bunch of channel-elements.
Channel element connected to Z-link1-78 is connected to speakers.
Everythink works.
Now I assign the (shifted) channel-element to dsp7, the sound disappears.
Now I assign the (shifted) channel-element to dsp8, the sound comes back.
Now I assign the (shifted) channel-element to dsp7 again, the sound stays.
I save the project.
I load the saved project and no sound audible. The meter of the allocated channel shows no input signal. (see attached picture) No DSP-assignment is visible in the dsp-menu.
I can get the sound back by allocating to some dsp.. (tried 6, 7.. worked)

I attached the projects before and after assignment to dsp7..
Attachments
999_tests.zip
(661.95 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
channel_prob.jpg
channel_prob.jpg (319.36 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

where are the z-link loaded? are they assigned to a specific dsp?
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

delete all unnecesseary modules.

assign the z-links modules to a specific dsp untl it works. i.e. the z-link modules should have a dsp that is used by these. find it by changing the assigned dsp. if you get output you found the dsp.

assign the channels to this dsp or find the dsp that has the most connections to it and use this.

if the z-zlinks are situated in a dsp that can be accessed only with communication channels (no direct connections like the asio) you need a system with better pci bandwidth

in the sdk you can see which dsp some modules are using by looking in a folded module. Ask someone with the sdk to inform which dsp the z-link mocules are using

the forum still disconnects the user while answering a question.... great stuff
valis

Post by valis »

fra77x2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:10 am What a bunch of clowns...
Pardon? We're here to learn, not to lord over one another with the limited knowledge we have gained. I'm thankful to have an Xite now myself, but do wish I had more time to explore the tools and contribute more, as it's been sitting unused for months due to health concerns with a family member and other personal matters.
valis

Post by valis »

fra77x2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:45 am delete all unnecesseary modules.

assign the z-links modules to a specific dsp untl it works. i.e. the z-link modules should have a dsp that is used by these. find it by changing the assigned dsp. if you get output you found the dsp.

assign the channels to this dsp or find the dsp that has the most connections to it and use this.

if the z-zlinks are situated in a dsp that can be accessed only with communication channels (no direct connections like the asio) you need a system with better pci bandwidth

in the sdk you can see which dsp some modules are using by looking in a folded module. Ask someone with the sdk to inform which dsp the z-link mocules are using
PCI bandwidth? Don't you mean PCIe?

We're also discussing whether Scope 7 changed the way dsp is allocated, in discussions with both Holger and GaryB I've been informed that this WAS the case with both Xite and the PCI cards (which I do have operating still), do you know further on this subject?

And to be sure, not everyone is as up to speed on the SDK as some of you are, like yourself.
fra77x2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:45 am the forum still disconnects the user while answering a question.... great stuff
I've changed the user timeouts here twice, they're so long now that I never get logged out and my messages can sit for up to 30 minutes without timing out. I've tested it. When you mentioned this previously, I indicated that if you're blocking cookies and your browser is set to anonymize your session ID (to hide from trackers), then you will still see this behavior. Block cookies? PHPBB reverts to the session ID which you will see appended to your url in the browser, randomize this? All bets are off. Otherwise, things are working normally and session timeouts are 1800 seconds...
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

the forum disconnected me while i was writing... this is so common i always copy my
text before pressing submit the last ten years.... I know that
it works the same and disconnects the user without reason... i don't care about your details. if you cant fix it say it can't get fixed. its ok with me.
my session is common of course i use ad bolckers thats no reason to disconnect the user.

it is a bit tiring to see people always struggle with the same things and not being able to use the xite without hassle. too pity you guys prefer graphics thqn performance most of you have bought a wrong product. get something easier, something suited to not so clever people.

anyway,

i offer the sdk tutorial perhaps gather all the community a couple of bucks to please me to give you an illustration of how to work. perhaps also give you a project to see... and this because it is not my job... all the supposed developers are dissapeared or do not have a clue the rest scope lovers what to say...
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

ok you are not clowns i take it back.

yes time is always a problem. wishes to your family member.

it is just that we are talking about years,and a community...

many years, many people many xites where is the experience?

i will tell you: you are just reluctant to get better, you prefer posting bs at planetz

i offer the pathetic sdk class and not only there is zero interest but idiots embarrash me that i do it for the money... this is the jokest joke ever

in reality if you see my setup you will get depressed... there are people who really like scope xite audio music dsp technology programming...
analog...

you must see the tube section i ve build for my xite...
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

nebelfuerst; Thanks for the screenshot and project files.
So after testing both project files I did not have any issues with the sound. Placed all devices on DSP 7 (except the STM mixer) and it still worked fine. Moved a bunch of other devices in the project to different DSPs and did not lose any sound.
Not sure if you know this but the STM2448X, STM 48 S X, and STM 4896 X appear to be locked to DSP10.
I would recommend you build your project from scratch and test it again for the same performance.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

fra77x2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:13 pm the forum disconnected me while i was writing... this is so common i always copy my
text before pressing submit the last ten years.... I know that
it works the same and disconnects the user without reason...

Yes, I confirm and suffer from same behaviour.
Sometimes it´s gone, but comes back w/o any warning.
I also lost long replies by just only clicking the "preview" button.
So both,- "preview" and "submit" can cause loss of posts out of the blue.
fra77x2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:13 pm it is a bit tiring to see people always struggle with the same things and not being able to use the xite without hassle. too pity you guys prefer graphics thqn performance most of you have bought a wrong product. get something easier, something suited to not so clever people.

anyway,

i offer the sdk tutorial perhaps gather all the community a couple of bucks to please me to give you an illustration of how to work. perhaps also give you a project to see... and this because it is not my job... all the supposed developers are dissapeared or do not have a clue the rest scope lovers what to say...
Not all the users own and use the sdk and I also have the impression DSP systems behave different in (PCI) and being connected (XITE) to different computers.
B.t.w.,- I wasn´t able rebuilding Yayajohn´s XITE-1 project where he maxed out polyphony up to 16 voices for every SCOPE stock synth.
In fact, I gave up after some time and accepted it doesn´t work w/ my XITE-1 which is using the older PCIe card (w/ DVI connector) in my 19" 4U rackmount DAW PC (Z97, Intel i7 4790K, 32BG RAM, SSDs, Win7 Pro SP1, SCOPE v7 x64).
With my system, I get SAT connection error messages soon and when I load about 4 or 5 synths and try to max out polyphony to 16 voices for each.

I made a PDF from his post and put it in the attachment,- just as a reminder what we´re talkin´ about.
Below a pic of his project.

3_Maxpolywitheffects.jpg
3_Maxpolywitheffects.jpg (279.04 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
:)

Bud
Attachments
XITE-1 Test Project - Yayajohn..pdf
(1 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

I have seen this project, my first reaction was that it is fake....

but it may be real, i don't know...

if it is real then congratulations people you have managed to fix it... now we can all play with the xite without problems...
finally you can work as i am working from 2008. this is fantastic it is weird though how few users have noticed it...

not a comment except yaya and dante

if it is not real it is a shame.