Synthmaster Dub (feedback please)

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

Synthmaster Dub (feedback please)

Post by spacef »

Hi all,

Made for KV331 synthmaster contest 2021 -> thanks to listen, like, comment etc (winner is most played/liked track)

-->> https://soundcloud.com/kv331synthmaster ... ntest-2021

But it's a "version 1" and I will rework it with Scope and DSP stuff later. Your feedback on this version is welcome.
Also, I mixed on my 20 year old lousy speakers and my headphones are broken, so it is a bit of mixing in the dark. WHat do you think ?

It is a dub track with very classic reggae sounds and melodies for the most part. Not aiming at sounding impressive. The Synthmaster VSTi is not bad, it was just torture not to use anything else :-) .

Enjoy !
Thanks !

ps: for all tracks of the competition: https://soundcloud.com/kv331synthmaster ... ntest-2021
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dante

Re: Synthmaster Dub (feedback please)

Post by dante »

Pretty good effort. These days if I have a composition with 6 synth parts I compulsively have to use 6 different synths :-?

Reminds me of listening to what a friend of mine did in the 80's with a Sequential Circuits Six-Trak and how good it was. I'm waiting for Arturia to make a VST version to see what I could do using just it and nothing else.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Listening on laptop (Realtek HD onboard audio) thru my mobile active Presonus Eris E 3.5 speakers, your mix sounds pretty good !
Your 20 yrs old speakers and your ears don´t seem to be in too bad condition though.
Even low bass frequencies don´t sound spongy,- firm instead.

Using only one VSTi polysynth is a challenge.
Reminds me on times when I finally could afford a new Sequential Circuits Prophet-5 and this was it for a longer period of time.
Well, at that times, we were able to rent such instrument to the production for 500 bucks and every day we were hired for studio work.
In germany, these 5 voices cost 10 grand at that time and it was pretty rare owning one.
So, money coming in w/ rentals was for a drummachine,- EMU Drumulator,- and the tiny Sequential "Model 64" sequencer for Commodore 64.

Limitation is good for creativity!

When Roland came up w/ the Jupiter-6 and Sequential w/ Prophet 600,- which both offered 1st version rudimentary MIDI out of the box,- and Yamaha, Roland and Sequential discussed MIDI specs w/ MIDI asociation,- they decided for 16 MIDI channels.
Jan Hammer asked what 16 MIDI channels would be good for,- and when he got the answer he´d be able to link and control 16 synthesizers then, he wondered "who the f##k needs 16 synthesizers?". :lol:
He obviously lacked the imagination of scoring "Miami VIce" in future.

Anyway,- I´d like to hear a SCOPE version of that track too.

:)

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Joe Zawinal once famously said 'If you cant get it right with one Midi channel, the other 15 wont help you much' :lol:
spacef

Post by spacef »

Thanks for the feedback !

As effects, I did not use much, but there was that free BrainworX thing during Black Friday (bx_masterdesk Classic) that I've put before Ozone in the master section. it surely brings something to how the bass frequencies sit in the mix.

Nowadays, I have the impression that virtual instruments are like toys and we need to change them often to renew the motivation and excitation to play. May be it is because there are so many choices and ways to achieve things. or may be it is me that grew older and lazier and need some new kick each time to get the energy to compose, record, mix etc :-)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dante

Post by dante »

I was using the Masterdesk full version for a while, but i prefer the Chandler stuff at the mo. curve bender and Zener limiter. As for synths, next track I'm going to push Solaris Core to see how fat I can get it. i also like Zebra, also since Dawman made a cool chior pad for it I use a lot.