TUTOR VIDEO - Make a synth in Scope SDK in less than an hour

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

valis

Re: TUTOR VIDEO - Make a synth in Scope SDK in less than an hour

Post by valis »

I don't imagine it will cause irreversible damage, so it can't hurt to try it. But I have no idea if the key method is compatible, or if it might be the case that you need to enter each key so that the string can be calculated from within the SDK version of the software. That shouldn't be hard to verify either, tbh.
spacef

Post by spacef »

It has never been a problem to me importing a keyfile of scope from sdk. For example, when the midi monitor requests a key, try to load the keyfile from scope (using the "import key file" option of the registration pop up window).I use it to activate devices in scope or in sdk . But you should first copy your current keyfiles somewhere for backup in case of problem. I don't know if it will work in this particular case because it could be scope app key that is required. Worth trying anyway.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
garyb

Post by garyb »

try it, it should.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Time to give some update:

Midimonitor now works.
I imported keyfiles, but they didn't contain v7 keys. I searched around and found the "activation key" for V7. Entering this one makes the V7 devices work.

I hear sounds from the synth:
In 2mLD, the "mod offset" was at -128, which muted my sound. I found this by connecting my audio to several stages after VCO.
The VU2 showed some signal, which I wasn't able to hear. ( Probably whales could hear this ;-)

I'm still not finished with the video, but my "milestones" seem to work now. Thank you for your support.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

One more question:
At 16:02 surface editing is selected, then the first item of Midi VC 16 is selected.

I can press surface editing, then click the first item, but no selection appears. I tried left click, right click, middle click.
Is there some prerequesite to select an item ?
spacef

Post by spacef »

Hi there,

So , I Put myself in "move" mode ('not "edit mode which is something else" that allows to resize panels and move various elements of a Go (eg, in edit mode you can select each led of the vu meters, but in Move mode you can only select the whole vu meter ensemble).

So,
On the MVC, I do not select the surface or a poti, but the "group" : in most stock modules, the following are in a group : poti+label+value display. They always use this "trio" .

It is true that I Know where are those groups and what is their area without seeing them.

Just click in an empty space between the poti and the display and the whole group will be selected.

The reason why I select the group is to highlit it in the Project Explorer.
Now I Know where it is in the Project Explorer which becomes focussed on that selected group.

Then, in the Project Explorer, i drag the other groups of that surface panel, into that group that I selected previously.

After that, I have several groups into a "top group". (Icould have renamed that top group "Top Group" but did not because it dinot look necessary to do so).

Now I can select that top group and cut/paste it and it will contain/bring with it all the groups that are inside it.

Does this explain what I am doing on screen ?

Please note that dragging groups into groups (or potis into groups) with the Project Explorer is usually very difficult and quite unpracticable. Here it works because the groups are one under each other in the Project Explorer, so i don't go far and the project explorer does not need to "scroll" to follow my moves.

I decided to drag them because I didn't want to use the cut n paste which is slower but easier to use. and drag-n-drop exists, and in this example, it is useable :-)

Sometimes it is just unpracticable because the Project Explorer doesn't follow, everything becomes unreadable and there is no way to know what you are doing. and it happened to me that I was obliged to drop a module in a location that I am unable to find back (like a doctor that leaves his tools in the body of the patient, lol,. In small devices it is not issue, but in very large devices with hundreds or folded modules inside several levels of "fold", it happened that I find a module only by chance, weeks after i lost it :-)

There is a passage of the video (later on i think) when i try to drag n drop again but it is more difficult.

So use the drag and drop method when groups are close to each other. Otherwise, the cut n paste method is more adviseable.

Also, please save before"un-grouping" stuff. You should be ok but on SDK7 some of my old devices could not be edited because of this (crash when ungrouping groups of older devices). This may be something particular to my system or to some of my older devices. But well, just save the device before ungrouping so you are crash-proof. I do not ungroup stuff in this video, but it should be done at the very end, in order to let scope user select the panel even if there is a group "between the mouse pointer and the panel" (a group forbids to select the surface "beneath" it, so you either ungroup stuff or apply various settings in the Go Tree. I can show that after you are done (it is not in the current video).
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Thank you for the detailed background information.
I'm still stuck at this "movement".

I can group the objects in explorer.

Clicking between poti and display selects the group in explorer, but I don't get that box in the graphics.
I cannot move the group.

So I tried to move the controls group in explorer into the empty synth.
I appears now right to the synth, but I cannot move it.
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (145.24 KiB) Viewed 16039 times
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (159.82 KiB) Viewed 16039 times
spacef

Post by spacef »

HI !
This is very weird.

2 things:

1/// what surprise me in your pics is that the synth panel seems to be floating like any "normal" surface that is not in "surface edit/move"mode"

I attach a picture that shows my sdk, with the Project window in "surface" mode adfter the Panel was selected : the panel can go "under" the edges of the window, it is not floating above it, but is contained inside the surface mode window.

2/// check that the group is selectable
Select the group (in any way you can, ie in the project explorer ) then, in the Project explorer, click on "Go" to reach the attributes of the graphical object that a group is.
Then, in the attribute, check that "selectable" is checked.

3/// it could be something with sdk7 but I am absolutely not sure of this. Normally, I have the same behaviour as you when the group is "not selectable" . This makes the group "invisible" to the mouse pointer and the panel under it can be selected directly.

If you cannot select the group, you will not be able to ungroup stuff, which is not normal. I Know ungrouping is possible in sdk7 as i tried it myself.

If it is not about selectable group, i have no idea what it could be, except may be that the attribute of the synth panel is not "graphic" but this would be strange as you pobably used the stock "empty synth". Mismanipulations are possible, such as shortcut stroke unvoluntarily. it happens.

You could save your device and send it to me, so i can check what happens.

Let me know !

EDIT; a group or graphical object that has the "selctable" *un*checked, can still be selected in "edit" rather than "move" mode. however, edit mode is a bit more complicated to use as it allows to change the positions of several Gos in a Group or a Go (graphics can be child of another graphic, and when you are back in "move" mode, you can move this ensemble as if it was 1 graphic, ie, relative positions will remain the same (example: the vu meter is made of several "Leds" graphical objects arranged into a group in a child/parent relationships).
Attachments
go2.jpg
go2.jpg (270.64 KiB) Viewed 16014 times
go1.jpg
go1.jpg (309.11 KiB) Viewed 16014 times
Last edited by spacef on Wed May 19, 2021 2:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

Put the sdk working screen at your main monitor if you use two monitors. Then close the floating panel you want to edit. Then press once the "circuit" button and then again to the "surface" mode. You have to be in the view layer "inside the module" you want to edit its panel. By pressing the surface button the panel should appear in a way that you can change the position of the graphics, selecting etc. (it will not float)

So go inside the module you want to edit its panel by double clicking on it. And then press the surface button to get the panel to edit.
spacef

Post by spacef »

yes, what fra77x says is right too. Might be it indeed. I checked on your picture and it seemed correct to me but i have no way to know for sure.

to summarize
The panels are at the same level as the "surface interface+panel" couple.
the panel module "is" the graphic panel of the device (if you delete it, you loose your device panel and all connections of potis/faders to circuit pads.... so don't delete it lol).
pic attached

The surface must be closed too. if it is "open" it may or may not appear in surface edit view (if you right click the panel in surface view and choose "show" the panel should disappear). it must be closed either by going back into surface view, right click panel (in project explorer) and choose "close" (going back in surface view may "refresh" it and the panel/graphics re-appears) , or by selecting the "Surface interface" or "panel" module, and setting the "show" pad to 0 (if you can't make the graphic panel appear again).
Attachments
surface.gif
surface.gif (109.77 KiB) Viewed 15991 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

Found another possible cause.

There are two levels of edit/move/use mode

For what we want to do, make sure that
- project window=move
- surface client area mode = move

If project is "move" but client area is "use" , then I do not have dots around the group, i can move it around though.
Attachments
sync-move.jpg
sync-move.jpg (26.81 KiB) Viewed 15955 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Thanks again to spacef and fra77x2 !
Not being able to move/select was due to the "wrong level" in circuit.

In circuits I was on top level, but Midi Voice control was on the second sublevel.
I was expecting some WYSIWYG behaviour, but now I learned about an addtional dependency.
One more thing, I learned for live now. :wink:
spacef

Post by spacef »

nice tool to make graphics, it is like photoshop, but online and free . I haven(t fully tested but so far it works exactly like PS.
https://www.photopea.com/

Good to make a nice device panel and other bitmaps (faders for example).
I would not use it for potis (animations) because there seem to be nicer tools around.

free 3d tools
there is a famous app for potis (knobman?)
there is also blender https://www.blender.org/

Free vector tools (illustrator-like)
https://inkscape.org/
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

Last edited by Spielraum on Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
spacef

Post by spacef »

I never heard of such a function. You can group stuff together to make it easier to find different elements.
automation in project explorer? not sure it would make it easier.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

So ? any help required to finish the device ?
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

This is awesome. Thanks, hopefully I can use this as a starting point?

Want to use SDK but up till now I’ve done nothing with it.
spacef

Post by spacef »

It's really nothing more than a starting point. It is difficult to follow because I do not talk and it's all on screen so it can be confusing.
I should not have used the drag and drop of modules into groups because it is not a good habit (it is not manageable anymore once a device becomes crowded internally). But it shows how to connect stuff and the general workflow.
Last edited by spacef on Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Wicked, thanks. I see your website is coming back to life. 😊