Getting up to date.

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Chilliman

Getting up to date.

Post by Chilliman »

Hi all,

I updated my daw/PC/audio interface last month and started using my old PCI boards as a standalone outboard unit using adat and spdif to get in and out from the new kit.
Really happy with how it's working out, it's much smoother experience. But, that computer really is an old girl(p4 from about 2003) with xp.
I like the idea of getting the latest version of scope and the SDK tool kit. I'm on V5 now.
I've had a look though the tech talk PC setup board and there seems a lot of argument about what's best and stable.
I need a pc that can run 3 cards with windows 10.
No DAW, doesn't have to be mega or trying to keep up with a new unit. Just want it to be rock solid(as windows gets) to run scope7 and sdk.
What's tried and tested? Trying to keep the costs down as I'd prefer to spend some money on some new synths for it and a couple of effects.

Ta
Bud Weiser

Re: Getting up to date.

Post by Bud Weiser »

Why Win10 when running SCOPE on PCI cards standalone ?
In fact, when running Scope standalone, 32Bit is still fine and devices, not working in 64Bit Scope, work in 32Bit Scope.

And, Scope v7 still works w/ WinXP, Win7, Win 8 / 8.1 and Win10.
Someone had already luck w/ Win11.

I´d recommend Win7 Pro SP1 32Bit and a used HP xw4600 server, Intel Core2Duo 3GHz and 4GB of RAM.
It´s exactly what I use for 3 Scope PCI cards (2x Pulsar-2 and 1 Power Pulsar 15DSP).
I run Scope v7.0 32Bit and projects load surprisingly fast.

Your cards have to fit the case form factor and mainboard architecture though,-
Pulsar-2 are short, so the combo mentined above fit the case.
AFAIK,- more than 1 long card won´t. (at least it looks like that)

I disabled ALL the onboard USB controllers to make it work smooth also w/ ASIO (on demand and running Reaper).
Then I bought a USB3 PCIe card (hub) and put it into the PCIe x1 slot.

Scope v7.0 64Bit is for my XITE-1,- also w/ Win 7 Pro SP1.

Win 10 is only on my laptop (whch I´m able to use w/ XITE-1 (and ASIO) too.

The HPxw (4xxx series) servers are in masses out there and you can buy ´em in good condition dead on cheap.

When you look for another machine/mainboard,- you urgently need 3 PCI slots delivering 5Volts.
Many, if not most, of todays mobos come w 3.3V PCI slots.

:)

Bud
Chilliman

Post by Chilliman »

Scope 7 works with xp 😯
Didn't know that.
It's just a host pc that's a bit more up to date that I need. No ASIO, no DAW, nothing but scope.

So the PCI cards struggle with 64 bit?
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, they do not "struggle".
there are a few plugins that do not work in 64bit. those plugins were made before 64bit operation existed.

for a stand-alone Scope system, you might as well use 32bit, not because the cards would have problems in 64bit, but because almost all plugins of any age will work, and because 64bit operation offers zero advantages to a Scope stand-alone machine.

the main plugins lost in 64bit are STS samplers, and VDAT. there are a few others, but mostly the others are patches that use the sample osc, not the plugin itself. in 32bit, what is lost in v7 is mainly Osiris and Z-Matrix, neither of which work in 64bit either.
Chilliman

Post by Chilliman »

Thought that was odd. I have an old core 2 duo pc with 1 PCI slot. Thats on vista 64 bit.
Had the 15dsp board in there a while back and didn't notice problems.

So you think just leave them in the xp p4 machine and install 7 on that and only replace if it goes pop.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Chilliman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:36 am Scope 7 works with xp 😯
Didn't know that.
It's just a host pc that's a bit more up to date that I need. No ASIO, no DAW, nothing but scope.
You might have to disable driver signing in WinXP when installing Scope 5.1 - 7.0 !
Chilliman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:36 am So the PCI cards struggle with 64 bit?
No !

:)

Bud