Install Noah optional device Profit-5

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

Bud Weiser

Install Noah optional device Profit-5

Post by Bud Weiser »

Hello !

Maybe another NOAH (EX) user has more info,-

I recognized the Noah "Profit-5" installation doesn´t show all 3 synth editor page buttons in the synth´s GUI.
Usually, there are "Main" "Add" and "Effects" pages for editing.

On my Noah and in Noah Remote Editor, the "Effects" page is missing up to now and there is only 1 preset bank available.

Now I wonder if I installed the wrong way what came w/ the files from S|C server,- which are:

1.)
noah_profit5_nokeys.oxe size (in Total Commander): 922.821 date: 06.02.2008 / 12:04h

2.)
a bunch of additional files which come in a zip-file called "noah_profit5_additionals".

I guessed, when unzipped,- these can be copied to both the Noah IF folders visible in Noah Remote Editor:

NOAH/IF/Devices/Prophet5/*.*

... which is the folder structure when being unzipped !

Main conspicuity:

The device is called "Prophet5" ... not "Profit-5",- and it´s older (date: 21.10.2004 / 12:03h).
It has also a different size vs. the nokeys.oxe ... 823.157.

The other additional files are just only .ndl / .nml / .nmp /.npl and.S20 , 21, 22, 23 files.
These filetypes exist for every on Noah and In Noah remote Editor installed devices.

What I did:

I copied all the files in the related Noah/IF folders,- shut down computer, powered up Noah EX, then started computer and launched Noah Remote Editor.
That installed "Prophet5" in NOAH EX w/o any key conflicts,- but the Prophet5 editor surface wasn´t visible in Noah Remote Editor.

So,- I installed the device again using the "noah_profit5_nokeys.oxe" file,- and voilá ... Prophet5 GUI appeared in Noah Remote Editor software.

But it´s still NOT "Profit-5" w/ all it´s 3 editing pages "MAIN", "ADD" and "EFFECTS".
Every preset sounds dry,- no chorus and no delay.

Does anyone have installed Profit-5 fully functional w/ effects,- and is the "noah_profit5_additionals" zip-file possibly obsolete,- or did I something in wrong sequential order ?

I´ve found that article I made a PDF from (see attachment),-
it shows Noah Profit-5 release w/ all it´s 3 editing page buttons "Main", "Add" and "Effects" !
CW releases Profit-5 for Scope & Noah.pdf
(63.87 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
Any advice appreciated.

:)

Bud
dante

Re: Install Noah optional device Profit-5

Post by dante »

Note here - makes me think *maybe* the Noah p5 never had the effects :

https://www.amazona.de/green-box-creamw ... tesizer/2/

p/ex - pic shows it without - (could be they had same issue you got - or it never really had it in first place & pic with it could be just a pre-release trick )
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:00 pm Note here - makes me think *maybe* the Noah p5 never had the effects :

https://www.amazona.de/green-box-creamw ... tesizer/2/

p/ex - pic shows it without - (could be they had same issue you got - or it never really had it in first place & pic with it could be just a pre-release trick )
Thank you,- interesting !
This is the most complete article I´ve ever read about Noah (EX) and I dunno why I didn´t came across it before.
So,- thx a lot for posting !

And yes,- my post above is all about if Noah´s Prophet5 version is w/o FX or if these were added later and were installable on Noah too,- by whatever updated installation file,- and if that ever existed.

In Noah, it´s no problem using the master FX also for Prophet5,- but if there were a chance installing Profit-5 incl. onboard FX, that would be ice on the cake and allows individual FX settings side-by-side w/ the master FX, which could be used simultaneously and for other purposes like the ext. audio inputs p.ex..

So, I´d need a (rare) user who installed Profit-5 and confirms it´s w/ FX ... or without,- the latter being set in stone.

When I look at the versions and features of all the other Noah devices,- to me, these appear to be Scope v4.0 devices,- or at least being comparable to these.
Prophet5 (Profit-5) is the only one lacking the FX page feature,- while it´s Scope v4 version introduces that already.
In addition, all the other devices installed multiple,- incl. 3rd party,- preset banks comparable to what I still have for XITE and only Prophet5 comes w/ that ancient "single" bank.

I wonder, when not using the "additional files" for Profit-5 installation and only using the .oxe-file from the beginning,- if that alone installs a younger and more complete version of Profit-5.

But I´d like to read a confirmation before I remove devices from Noah EX and re-install.

That flash memory is aged and I re-flashed for several times already,- so I´d prefer not to overtax that now vintage piece of gear.

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Did you install from the CD or FTP ? Someone said on that site :

Hi marber,

1. Connect Noah to PC via USB (clear). Only directly - without HUB.
2. Three different (!) Install USB driver (device audio midi) (device manager!)
3. Windows restart
4. Remote software 1.1 (important: CD version (!) and not the ftp version)
5. if necessary Remote software 1.0 transfer program path to the 1.1 folder (i.e. overwrite)
Will you have made it so similar (except 5.) - think the remote version (1.1) is crucial. Sometimes it works without point 5.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:14 pm Did you install from the CD or FTP ? Someone said on that site :

Hi marber,

1. Connect Noah to PC via USB (clear). Only directly - without HUB.
2. Three different (!) Install USB driver (device audio midi) (device manager!)
3. Windows restart
4. Remote software 1.1 (important: CD version (!) and not the ftp version)
5. if necessary Remote software 1.0 transfer program path to the 1.1 folder (i.e. overwrite)
Will you have made it so similar (except 5.) - think the remote version (1.1) is crucial. Sometimes it works without point 5.
The summary above is correct,- for drivers and editor application (v1.0 and v1.1).
The WAVE driver fails to install most often,- I myself, I got it only once.
Can be it installed w/ v1.0 but not w/ v1.1.

I have everything from S|C server and installation CD media,- v1.0 and v1.1.
My buddy and "helping hand" tech owns a Noah EX too and has a original v1.1 CD ...
I made a ISO.
Installation media v1.1 is essential for Noah software stability and the essential user selectable "Linux (Mac) / Windows" parameter entry in Noah system menue.
Without the Windows setting,- you cannot upgrade Noah firmware to latest version as also not doing a successful re-flash proceedure.
Compared to the advantages of v1.1 over v1.0,- the missing WAVE driver is bearable.

According to optional devices,- these aren´t on the installation media at all.
Basic set of devices and FX came preloaded w/ Noah / Noah EX when someone bought new in a shop.
Can be, these were already activated or got activated by connectiong to the webserver and install the Remote Editor software.
I dunno precisely.
Optional devices came from former Creamware online shop always and got activated by Creamware online activation system using request string or download activation key(s).
Depending on production date and firmware version, Noah and Noah EX units came w/ more or less formerly "optional" device already installed.
My buddies Noah EX came w/ everything except Prodyssey and Profit-5,- and it came w/ v1.1 installation media already.
Consequently n´means: no v1.0 media required !

So,- Profit-5 "nokeys_".oxe and the zipped additional files folder is only available from S|C ftp- server "archive" now.

My buddy doesn´t own Prophet5 (or Profit-5) for his Noah EX,- so I have no chance double checking for Profit-5 "effects" page.

That´s why I try to find someone w/ Noah or Noah EX and w/ Profit-5 installed.

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

You could try find Geoff Downes - he had Noah.

https://downesbraide.co.uk/about-us

Theres a contact form to fill out

https://downesbraide.co.uk/contact-us

I'm also wondering if there music is still interesting - at first glance a little laid back (?) compared to Asia days. I'd prefer listening to Simple Minds (from a slightly later era) 2018 album 'Walk Between Worlds' - some cutting edge use of tech there.
Last edited by dante on Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:03 pm You could try find Geoff Downes - he had Noah.

https://downesbraide.co.uk/about-us

Theres a contact form to fill out

https://downesbraide.co.uk/contact-us
Thank you.
I doubt he will remember well.
I can imagine he didn´t use Noah for decades now and sold.

There are only 2 possibilities,-
you can install (a version) introducing FX page,- or it is like I have it already.

When I don´t get any usable answer before,- I´ll try a re-install after removing Prophet5 device from Noah flash by using the editor.
Not today though,- maybe next week.

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Maybe. Or just maybe he is rich from royalties so doesn’t need to sell any of his classic gears & just collects in his man cave studio.

If I had Noah I wouldn’t sold it unless I absolutely had to.
dante

Post by dante »

dante wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:05 pm Maybe. Or just maybe he is rich from royalties so doesn’t need to sell any of his classic gears & just collects in his man cave studio.

If I had Noah I wouldn’t sold it unless I absolutely had to.
WOAAH ! Hold the press ! yes have a new album out with Geoff Downes on keys :o

https://youtu.be/PbGEa7ju8bg

https://www.musicradar.com/news/geoff-d ... -yes-album

..with plans to tour it :P
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:44 pm
WOAAH ! Hold the press ! yes have a new album out with Geoff Downes on keys :o

https://youtu.be/PbGEa7ju8bg

https://www.musicradar.com/news/geoff-d ... -yes-album

..with plans to tour it :P
Now ... that´s a reason officially askin´ if he used Noah on the record and if he´ll use it live too,- especially when reading that line:

"I have a few bits and bobs but I got rid of most of it. It was too complicated to store it all and too complicated to fix it when things went wrong."

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Where did you read that ? Kinda wierd if it was so wonderful for so many years then all of a sudden too complicated to store it ? Its a synth module FFS !

I got 3 of those I don't use anymore but they sit in their rack - even I don't have space for a full size keyboard ! But if I choose to use em one day I will.....nothing complicated about that :lol:
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:59 am Where did you read that ?
it´s a quote from the "musicradar" article you linked in your post above.

Doesn´t mean it´s about Noah,- but can be ...
Usually, guys playing in that league, don´t use their own studio gear on the road.
Endorsement is the key and guarantees premium support and service around the globe in case gear fails.
When touring big, you need gear available everywhere,- local,- or can be shipped to you overnite.

AFAIK, on his last tour w/ "Asia", there was no Noah and he used lots of Roland gear, Studiologic Sledge, possibly some other brands too,- and (VST) softsynths.

Anyway,- it won´t have any influence on what I use,- at least because I don´t tour anymore.

Bud