Copy protection error Xite-1

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Casper

Copy protection error Xite-1

Post by Casper »

Hi peeps!

I have a problem with my Xite-1.
Whenever I turn on the light or another device, I get a copy protection error.
What kind of power upgrade do I need to do to solve this problem.
I've read other topics about this error, but can't extrapolate a solution.
I've tried switching to other outlets but they all give the same result.
Using Scope v7, and before I almost never had this problem with V5.
Same house, same computer. Different OS (win 10), different scope (v7)

Kinda lost at what I can do..
Anyone have an idea to try?
garyb

Re: Copy protection error Xite-1

Post by garyb »

well, it is probably a wiring issue in your building.

the copy protection error indicates that the XITE and Scope app have momentarily lost communication. i would think ground would be the culprit.
Casper

Post by Casper »

Everything is grounded, and V5 did not behave like this. Same house, same pc. So that can't be true.
garyb

Post by garyb »

there is nothing about v7 that causes such an error. it is ALWAYS caused by the XITE and the Scope app momentarily losing communication, it's hardware-related, but what do i know? i'll admit that win10 might affect the connection, but this is not a normal problem. i regularly turn things on and off, etc, and i have never had this problem. i have v7 and win10...

so, everything is grounded, but is there a GOOD ground?
it might take an electrician...
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

Have you tried different outlets in the whole house or just in the same room?. Because all outlets in a room in general come from the same channel in the electrical panel. Perhaps you can find an outlet in the house that is better.
Casper

Post by Casper »

I have found another outlet that does it far less.
But haven't used my xite in ages, since al the bugs in V7 64x.
Selling it keeps crossing my mind, jet I can't get to actually selling it.
dante

Post by dante »

Try it on another computer or same computer in another house, or different computer different house.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

My Xite is about 4m from the PC. Plugging in a different PC with the AC-plug, while scope is running occasionally gives me a copy protection error.
As I could try to fix this within Xite, I'd like to ask:

What happens in scope, when the copyprotection error shows up ?
Is this a complete reset/blackout of Xite ? Or just a bad error in communication ?

What is the electrical basis of the Xite-PC-link ? Is it differential ?
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
garyb

Post by garyb »

the error just means that the Scope program, the PC and the XITE have lost communication. you can't remove power from the XITE while it's connected. it's not hot-swappable.
valis

Post by valis »

Please try Xite & PC on the same power chain, with a similar length of cable to reach each. Sometimes called 'star' or 'octopus' pattern for power distribution. They are electrically grounded via the cable that connects them, and a variety of factors including USB ports and power supply can affect how the host PC 'sees' ground issues. The problem isn't the Xite...
Farmerbrown

Post by Farmerbrown »

I have a similar problem in the winter time when humidity is very low. A very small static shock and Xite 7 will show this error. Sometimes it only needs a restarts; sometimes it will corrupt the driver in Cubase 11. Re install Cubase 11 and everything is fine BUT the most important thing I did was install a humidifier. That's my 2 cents.
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

Last edited by Spielraum on Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

If the problem is caused by bad power, it would make sense to use one UPS unit for the XIte.
Xite Knight v2.0

Post by Xite Knight v2.0 »

valis wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:02 am Please try Xite & PC on the same power chain, with a similar length of cable to reach each. Sometimes called 'star' or 'octopus' pattern for power distribution.
First, this sounded strange, but you may have nailed it!
I used to get the copy error stuff every time I turned on an external DAC connected to my Xite-1 by AES/EBU, unless I unplugged the AES/EBU first. For other reasons, I recently moved the DAC ‘further away electrically’ - Meaning that its power cord length to the distribution unit is now more or less equivalent to what feeds power to the Xite and the PC.

Now, it seems like the copy error has disappeared :)
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Your experience is interesting for me.
I tried to buffer the power of Xite by adding goldcaps and capacitors. If I plug in a PC to the AC, the copyprotection error occured nevertheless.
So suspect, there is some effect of magnetic induction by a loop of wires, formed by power supply and the communication link.
Xite Knight v2.0

Post by Xite Knight v2.0 »

I know some electronics, but electrical (high power) is a mystery to me.
However, I suspect that different cord lengths could impact (ground) potential differences and/or phase differences.
If you want to explore Vallis' theory, you could try to start with only Xite and Xite computer connected to one AC multi-plug sockets adapter with 2 AC cords of the same length. Now, you should understand that multi-plug sockets adapter as the center of your star pattern. When ever you add another device, connect only to that multi-plug sockets adapter with same length AC cords as before.
I have no clue if that will solve your problem, but it may be worth a try.
valis

Post by valis »

The different lengths cause issues because of a phase shift, which sometimes is discussed as a ground difference. IMHO with modern discrete components what you instead have is power events that are the same at the source (whether normal 50/60hz duty cycle waves for AC current—or transient events and noise that’s of enough amplitude) that are normally handled by properly specified powe supplies and nearby VRMs, Caps etc used to buffer against issues with power delivery.

When you cross link two pieces of gear by grounding them these events are then phase shifted from one another, but since it’s filtered out of the power delivery circuits imho it sneaks in the back door by affecting ground reference instead.

So a 50/60hz duty cycle might show up as a constant floating ground reference (small positive or negative gain bias which means it’s no longer absolute ground) or worse when a transient event occurs. Differences in impedance probably share a role too, but the phase shift is the main culprit imho, combined with things like AC motors in the household (fridge/freezer) And possible dirty power upstream.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

I changed the routing of my wiring and didn't experience a copyprotection error since.
My HDMI-cable is now very close to my powersupply-wiring.
No matter what I switched on on my room, the Xite didn't show copyprotection.

I tried these without success: expensive HDMI-cables, extreme stable powersupply for Xite, cleaning all contacts..

So to me the effect looks like a wire-loop, which catches some magnetic pulse from a switching event in the room.
Is the XITE-Link a differential signal or just a plain logic level ? Only the later would be an explanation to me.