New on Xite-1

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

drhardlove

New on Xite-1

Post by drhardlove »

Hi yah'all.
I used to have a Lunar, that someone manage to get of my hands, but now I am here with a brand new second hand Xite-1.

I have a lot of questions, that I hope you guys can help me find the answers to.

1. My software key is for 5.1, but I managed to make it run in win10, so all well so far. I had some issues with my DAW, NUENDO 10.3, but It is also running. But no VST effect or instrument will load in NUENDO, due to the 32 bit abandonement in Steinbergs Nuendo and Cubase.
I tried my Jbridge, for this problem without luck. I can't find all the dll's neither. Jbridge works well with a lot of other plugs in my WIN7 system, where I am still running TC powercore and many others. My question is, will this problem be solved if upgrading to SCOPE V 7 ? Are all vst's and FX 64 bit in V7?

2. How to get all plugins to pop up in win10 and win7?

3. Can I use the scope plugs, in another interface environment, let's say if I run my other soundcards in my studio, can I somehow load the plugs from SCOPE into NUENDO still?

My friend mentions XTC mode, he has pulsar and luna pci cards on xp. He wonders if Xite has it too. If yes, where?

Thanks a lot for any help.
dante

Re: New on Xite-1

Post by dante »

XTC mode is no longer supported on PCI and I doubt it will work on XITE. Others can give details on the last supported Scope version/hardware it was supported .
valis

Post by valis »

There's a lot to learn here.

However it all depends on what you use Scope for. Historically, Scope was a centerpiece of a DAW machine that offers incredibly signal routing and can be a mixing tool, synthesis tool, live recording too (monitor mixes and effects for such etc, while recording dry and/or wet versions of any signal into your DAW). Those of us who have been here decades have typically assigned Scope to one or more roles to which we feel it is best suited in our workflows. You seem like you have a bit to explore before making that decision.

Scope 7 is a bit of a no brainer, even on WinXP 32bit with PCI based cards there are reasons to upgrade (and a few things lost along the way). Moving to 64bit loses a few more things (this is searchable, often pinned in these forums, and I'm sure others will relay) but eases other concerns about DAW compatibility.

To my knowledge the transitional wrappers like Jbridge worked better to bridge 32bit plugins within a 64bit host than the other direction. At least, I didn't have cause to try hosting 64bit in a 32bit host using those tools.

As for what could be solved in your question #1 by moving to Scope 7, it's hard to say exactly what the issues are. If you want to run a 64bit DAW with 64bit plugins, Scope 7 will surely solve that.

#2, it's unclear which plugins you mean. If you're referring to native plugins, then you will have to refer to your documentation for Nuendo (or etc DAW) and whichever plugins you're wrestling with. If you're wondering about natively hosted Scope plugins within your DAW, this is what XTC mode was, and it's not really 'Scope plugins running inside your DAW' as much as it is "Scope's routing features and DSP plugins *managed* inside of your DAW". Using XTC did away with the Scope.exe routing application (it's still there, just 'hidden' as you're now managing i/o assignments and plugins right from within the DAW). When you instantiate an XTC plugin, it still loads the DSP plugin on your Xite or PCI card, it just gives the VST host a dll that acts as a 'bridge' to bring that signal directly into your DAW's mixing path, and allows you to manage the interface there (turn knobs, save presets etc).

XTC is generally not recommended in this era, though there are still those who want it,

#3 The main thing that you might be missing here is that Scope is more like a DSP powerhouse with ASIO (and wave) functionality that means it also functions as a soundcard. Ie, it has software i/o modules, and hardware i/o modules. And then it has native DSP based effects (that run inside Scope, unless as mentioned above you use an XTC wrapper and XTC mode), native DSP based synthesis devices, numerous 3rd party devices (check the bottom of this forum for many freebies, and a few devs) and much much more. With Scope 7 and a 64bit DAW host on the same machine, you can run Scope much like a soundcard+outboard effects+mixer+synths that are all contained inside of Scope rather than in your physical room. However to your DAW this workflow still puts those tools 'outside' of the DAW, and so typical workflows still adhere to the 'external gear' paradigm for the most part (route midi out, record signal back in, etc).

Now, once you understand that (and I am presuming you didn't forgive me if that's in error) you can also do as some of us have done Including myself) and host Scope in a completely separate machine. I have several computers here used during audio wofkflows, and Scope sits off to the right and attaches to more than one other computer via ADAT+AES+SPDIF+MIDI while analog i/o still goes to my board (Scope's analog outs) and returns from my board (sends and bus outputs to Scope's analog inputs). I use RME cards on most of the other computers, which has Totalmix (and a matrix view) that almost equals Scope's routing flexibility and so I lose very little in hosting Scope externally (other than XTC mode but I never used that anyway). So this might answer your #3, the only latency added in this situation is that of sending the midi cable between computers (negligable compared to the latency on the software/OS side) and a few samples of extra latency added by any hardware i/o (ADAT, analog etc).

I suggest however coming to grips with Scope *by itself* first (connect a keyboard controller direclty with 5 pin MIDI and control scope without even using a DAW) so that you can make sense out of Scope by itself. Then try to incorporate it into your DAW workflow(s). Once you have done the latter, you can decide if doing as some of us have done and hosting it outboard is even worthwhile. There's a fair amount to cover before worrying about that, and I suspect you'll be just fine using an Xite as your sole soundcard once you're up to speed.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

drhardlove wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:57 pm Hi yah'all.
..- now I am here with a brand new second hand Xite-1.
pics or it didn´t happen ! :D

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Welcome aboard.
Most stable live performance rig ever.
Jez

Post by Jez »

Dante that is the best summary intro to how Scope can fit into a studio Workflow I have read. I recently put Scope and Xite together in a second box, treated it like outboard gear and I am convinced it is going to outlive me.
dante

Post by dante »

Jez wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:49 am Dante that is the best summary intro to how Scope can fit into a studio Workflow I have read. I recently put Scope and Xite together in a second box, treated it like outboard gear and I am convinced it is going to outlive me.
Your welcome - but - err - what did you read ?
Jez

Post by Jez »

err actually Valis in this case! But take the complement anyway, for other stuff on the forum....