Is the new Scope 7 finally XTC compatible?

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Re: Is the new Scope 7 finally XTC compatible?

Post by dante »

Music Manic wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:30 am Yes this board still offers a lot. Gary should know about what’s happening.
I think XTC has a lot to offer as long as latency is checked in context. For effects, avoid chaining devices where each device incurs its own round trip to the hardware (eg use of a Multi FX wrapper) . For instruments, ASIO may be able to be avoided if 'Direct Play' is implemented.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

dante wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:41 am
Music Manic wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:30 am Yes this board still offers a lot. Gary should know about what’s happening.
I think XTC has a lot to offer as long as latency is checked in context. For effects, avoid chaining devices where each device incurs its own round trip to the hardware (eg use of a Multi FX wrapper) . For instruments, ASIO may be able to be avoided if 'Direct Play' is implemented.
Yes this will be a killer to implement with the DAW with ease
valis

Post by valis »

ASIO isn't avoided, it simply feeds a live signal to the outputs while still passing the signal back to the ASIO driver and to the DAW/audio host attached to the driver. Ie, the 'direct sound' goes directly to the outputs in addition to the asio driver. If memory serves, all of this happened around the time of the routing bar that exists under the file menu, and things started to automatically cable in the main workspace if that option is checked in options. So functionality was added to make connections automatically, which triggers that connection when direct audio is enabled. Good stuff =]
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

If we knew the exact delays of scope plugins DAW integration would work with mixing.
dante

Post by dante »

valis wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:06 pm ASIO isn't avoided, it simply feeds a live signal to the outputs while still passing the signal back to the ASIO driver and to the DAW/audio host attached to the driver. Ie, the 'direct sound' goes directly to the outputs in addition to the asio driver.
Sure - but if your not mixing via the ASIO path then it doesn’t cause latency. Eg at the moment, I monitor my Reason mix using Apollo console, which also takes signal via ADAT from Scope. So Reason midi to Scope synth to Apollo via ADAT incurs no ASIO lag.
valis

Post by valis »

But XTC will still return audio. Seems like what you want is the ability to manage plug-in instantiation in your DAW but still mix externally..?
dante

Post by dante »

Partly. With Direct Play that should be possible. During tracking / arranging I use Reason SSL as a mix monitor for all DAW parts except for Scope synths. Then I record the Scope synths as audio back into Reason via ADAT=>Apollo before exporting all from Reason to mix in Harrison Mixbus. Recording Scope synth(s) incurs a few ms latency on the recorded Scope synth track(s), which I nudge into place prior to exporting all tracks from Reason. Thats pretty much the only part of the process where I have to do anything to compensate for latency. XTC might simplify this bounce down step or it may not - no biggy either way.
Console Routing
Console Routing
Console Routing.jpg (161.02 KiB) Viewed 19930 times
valis

Post by valis »

If you use XTC internally *and* a host has PDC, it should remove that step. Using "Direct Play" and then recording that back in via adat shouldn't, I would think. The only advantage to using XTC + direct outputs for recording is that you can manage the project entirely from the DAW/host...in terms of loading instruments and managing the overall mix.
dante

Post by dante »

valis wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:59 pm The only advantage to using XTC + direct outputs for recording is that you can manage the project entirely from the DAW/host...in terms of loading instruments and managing the overall mix.
That depends. The other advantage Id like to see is whether its possible for a DAW (Reason) to 'Render In Place' a Scope synth the same as how it could 'Render In Place' any other VST ( eg Zebra 2) or Rack extension. However I'm not sure that's possible from XITE's point of view, and even if it could I suspect it would be rendered at the same speed as normal playback. Whereas if I bounced Zebra 2 in place to an audio track on a 3 minute song it would be done much quicker than 3 minutes.
valis

Post by valis »

I think some of the later DSP cards do this? I know AAX has a requirement that it be able to render offline, but that's PT. Not sure if UAD handles offline rendering now. I would think scope does not, as this requires the plugin either be implemented natively (like AAX/soundgrid) or support it somehow through the dsp system. I haven't seen that reported for Scope to date, but I suppose it might appear when XTC returns so there's that.

Overall this is about workflow. The native use of DSP products makes sense to someone who is used to a specific workflow in software, but wants to access DSP tools in it. In the past, this was for more 'oomph' during an era of limited CPU power, now it's mostly about accessing certain models in the case of UAD or something like Acustica Audio's stuff (which is GPU based dsp).

So I can understand that you're looking for a better way to integrate with your workflow. Just giving input where it seems warranted on that front, and since I don't know the current state of Reason as well as you I can only speak from a generic understanding of where XTC has come from.
dante

Post by dante »

Well UAD dont have DSP VST (their Luna minimoog and stuff are native) so not relevant there.. Reason allows render in place for individual tracks, or you can stem the lot out in one go into an export folder which I use all the time. It also allows render with or without insert FX and normalisation. Whatever functionality XTC adds will be welcome.
pranza

Post by pranza »

UAD dont have DSP VST - what? that's what precisely their satellite and pcie cards are about
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

pranza wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:57 am UAD dont have DSP VST - what? that's what precisely their satellite and pcie cards are about
Not all UAD plugins use the DSPs.
In opposite to most, if not all, of their FX plugins,- their Minimoog emulation doesn´t,- it´s native.

:)

Bud
LunaMan

Post by LunaMan »

pranza wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:57 am UAD dont have DSP VST - what? that's what precisely their satellite and pcie cards are about
Correction then - UAD dont have DSP VSTI. UAD Effects can be either or both DSP or Native, UAD instruments are all native
pranza

Post by pranza »

well yes, nevermind the uad, look what we have here!

it's not straightforward to achieve 'portal' into working xtc / vdat what not, but once achieved it's reliable within that boot.

anyone from the developers would like to look into it?!
LunaMan

Post by LunaMan »

What version of Scope is that ?
pranza

Post by pranza »

it's v 5.1 x64

now i upgraded win11 to 23h2 and it still works!
LunaMan

Post by LunaMan »

Noted - thanks Pranza - will try that out sometime.