Card test program

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

k-Tracker

Card test program

Post by k-Tracker »

Hi, I'm a Scope user since 2003. Had many cards in the past and about ten years ago built a reliable system with 2 * Pulsar 2 + 1 * Pulsar 1.
I haven't used this system last three years and decided to come back to it recently. I'm dealing with random board communication issues and DSP overload. I hoped it's just a miscommunication due to oxidized connectors. But after cleaning my problem is still not solved. That's the same original PC, with Scope 5.0 I left there. Nothing has been touched.

I've just thought, Is there a tool dos or windows which just tests the card and DSP? Something that Creamware/SonicCore used back in a day during the manufacturing to ensure there are no defects?
garyb

Re: Card test program

Post by garyb »

no.
it sounds like one of the cards may have given up the ghost.
sometimes, it's cold/cracked solder, sometimes a bad capacitor.

the error messages are proof in themselves...
k-Tracker

Post by k-Tracker »

Thanks! I thought maybe I missed some magic program.
dante

Post by dante »

Try em 1 at a time.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Sigh. My Pulsar2 died a couple of months ago. I tried everything but no joy. Was able to get one in like new great condition (in the box) from Berny Shoes at a great price as well. I mean it was like losing a family member and have them come back room the dead. All is well. 17 years for everything else (Luna II and Scope Pro) and still trucking. The family's reunited!
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
k-Tracker

Post by k-Tracker »

Same here. I tested cards one by one and identified a broken. Unfortunately the one that failed is the one that has all key activated on to. :( This is a bummer, I'm not sure if Sonic Core would agree to transfer old purchase of Scope 5.0 on it... :) With that the only way for me to continue using it now is that "special package" of 5.1 which doesn't require any keys... it runs with its own problems, but at least it runs.
valis

Post by valis »

No discussion about special packages here please. And I believe if you send your card in the keys can be transferred, just ask GaryB or email support.
garyb

Post by garyb »

email support and you can arrange a transfer of keys to another card. you will need to send the broken card in.
k-Tracker

Post by k-Tracker »

Ship a broken card to Germany? wow, drilling a hole and making a photo is not working? :)
valis

Post by valis »

Clearly it made sense when cards were $1200 (USD), not aging second hand devices. Which does sort of point at other options (we have a used card forum). As a non-S|C employee I can only say: take it or leave it.
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, ship it to the USA.
but ship it wherever, it's better than a "#$$@ you, buy this new product! why should we care about 12-20 year-old product?".

i get the concept you are putting out. did you want someone to make keys for you for free? when they're free, you could say "thank you".
k-Tracker

Post by k-Tracker »

hmmm, I don't think you get what I'm tryin got say. If it's real how it's working, not just forum members speculations, then I certainly appreciate that SC can reissue keys. They don't have to do that, it's already 16 years past a warranty. I just found it's funny, they are trading those keys to my broken card :)))) They are not Santas :) Could be other ways how I can prove that the card is destroyed if that's the case.
garyb

Post by garyb »

warranty?
SonicCore isn't Creamware.

you'll get taken care of if you write to support(which is in the USA).