SpaceF Magma DSP Synth Wavetables

General discussion for SpaceF Devices

Moderators: valis, spacef

spacef

SpaceF Magma DSP Synth Wavetables

Post by spacef »

Hey guys, I am very proud to release MAgma Synth as wavetables for Serum, Pigments, NI Form etc. BB2 will follow.

Full pack https://spacef-devices.com/product/spac ... bles-pack/
Wavetables only https://spacef-devices.com/news/magma-wavetables/

Why SpaceF Magma ?

First because it sounds different from most other synths from my collection. The technics used in that synth were then refined to give birth to BB3. I could also use MAgma filters as a kind of equalizer for more variety.

Also, Magma sounds great with actual hardware guitar pedals: I used RAT 2, Juicer, Amp simulations (pedals) and kept only the best ones. It sounds great for old school epianos and keys, and it works also with polyphony.

Magma will be available in 2 versions:
- wavetable only ( already available)

- Wavetables + samples + pigment presets: ready but it is between 500 and 1000 MB download.... that's not possible to host on spacef-devices and I must set-up a cloud account ans link it to my site, which will be done soon I hope. It is big because it has been sampled over 6 octaves (c0, c1, c2, c3, c4, c5) for a duration of 3 measures at 90 BPM (so you don't need to loop the samples except for pads and strings).

So no need to wait.

There are 51 presets for Xfer Serum, and it inludes 524 wavetables (octave c0 , c1, c4).

You will be able to upgrade to the full version (ie, including actual samples of several measure of Magma osc & filters) but as the full version is around 500 MB of data, I must wait a bit and set-up a cloud account and various WP Plugins (which is not free), otherwise it will be difficult to download.

Should you wait for BB2 Wavetable/sample release ? you need both Magma and BB2 anyway :-) They are different, and great to use together.

OK, I will be back with preset walkthrough, must redo the shop design for soundbanks, must do BB2 presets, and find a way to allow very large downloads.....
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
yayajohn

Re: SpaceF Magma DSP Synth Wavetables

Post by yayajohn »

How do you change the polyphony on the Magma-CV?
spacef

Post by spacef »

You can't, using CV is monophonic only.

However, I can easily add a setting for polyphony. It will not work great with Pitch CV, but will be useable when used as a classic synth (ie, with keyboard).

You want this ?
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Sure! That will be great, thanks
spacef

Post by spacef »

plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Wow. you never cease to amaze me! Thanks Mehdi. 8)
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Whoops, check the file. I'm downloading the 12/29/19 file you had previously posted.
spacef

Post by spacef »

You are right and I had the most difficult time to correct it.
I Had to change the filename otherwise it would keep downloading the previous zip even if I deleted all file from FTP....
I have no idea why it happened :-o some cache thing on my server maybe...
Now the file has "poly" at the end of the zip name, and for some reason, it works :-/
Still confused about why this happened even after the zip was deleted from FTP.....

https://spacef-devices.com/news/magma-cv/

The poly setting is at the right of the preset label display at the top of the device. You can select poly from 0 (off) to 7.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Well that's weird, must be some sort of backup thing on the server.
So, I'm still getting the same file when I download from the link you sent. No worries though, nothing time critical on my end so get it it when you get to it.
Much appreciated.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

LOL! You are making a liar out of me!
I see that you just updated it. too funny!
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

All working now with 7 poly. Thanks a bunch Mehdi.
spacef

Post by spacef »

great !

so yes it is the fault of my web host (siteground) who has new caching tools (I just saw an add on facebook about it , it must be related to our problem :-) )
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
David

Post by David »

Thank you for the new additions to Magma-CV, so cool.

About the Magma wavetables - what is the sample duration of the samples?
spacef

Post by spacef »

Hi David,
David wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:20 am About the Magma wavetables - what is the sample duration of the samples?
There are different wavetables with sample count that adapt Serum and Pigment.
It means that some wavetables may include 1 extra sample to adapt both synths. All wavetable have been tested in Serum, Pigment and NI Forms, and various other synths. In serum, you can drop the wavetables in any format (FFT 256, 512, 1024, 2048, and other import slots).

The name of the wavetable tells you about how many sections of 2048 smaples it contains.

- Single: 2048 samples
- Dual : 4096 samples (goes from an oscillator to another)
- Octave: 4096 samples (goes from an octave to another, with same or different oscillators)
- Triade: 6144 samples (2048*3)
- Penta: 10240 samples (2048 * 5)

All wavetables are edited with a zero crossing at the begining and end of each wave.

The low number of waves per wavetable is a choice: it allows to take advantage of each vsti engines because it offer the maximum resolution when morphing between a shape and another: it avoids undesired clicks that may happen with larger wavetables (in larger wavetables, the vsti does not have enough positions in-between each wave to process morphing in a smooth manner, and sometimes it produces clicks).

If you wait until the full release (which includes long samples of 3 measures at 80 bpm), you can also load them in both synths and use them as samples or as wavetables with 256 waves (if your vsti can load long samples and divide it into 256 section of 2048 samples, which is the case of Pigments, Serum, and many others)..

The long samples are made to capture very small variations of the oscillator over time, while allowing effortless looping (more exactly, it avoids the need to create a loop on 50% of the sounds). When used as a wavetable, some "long sample oscillators" can give a choice of 256 "timbre" from the same oscillator. Not all oscillators show great variation over time so it depends on each one.

What is interesting in those sample banks is to mix spacef flavors with the vsti you are using, and get something different. For example, the same sample or wavetable used in Serum and Pigments will give different results. That's because the engines, filters, modulators, are different.

Concerning Arturia"s Pigments, the architecture is close to SpaceF designs such as Biosc 4 or Multisynth, (2 oscillators/2 filters), and because of the variety of filters (Arturia's SEM, Matrix, Mini, Multifilters etc used on scope/spacef stuff is just a great thing to have, and it also have granular synthesis and other good stuff).
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
David

Post by David »

Thank for the details in your reply.
I'm after 4096 samples but only because I'm lazy. I don't have the vsti's you mention, rather I want to give them a whirl in kyma and in reality could easily make any of the samples to the desired size using their wavetable editor, which I guess is a better idea if I want to experince using the triade and penta. So I will put the effort in :)
I'll wait for the full pack as you suggest.
Looking forward to them
spacef

Post by spacef »

added some " z 2 " Wavetable" which are 4096 samples length and which show two different cycles of the same oscillator. it is like a dual wt, but with the same oscillator. the duals are made with 2 different oscillators.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

congrats man!
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/