JBowen Solaris Tabletop.JPG
JBowen Solaris Tabletop.JPG (56.03 KiB) Viewed 6580 times
Bud Weiser

Re: Solaris HW tabletop & 1U "19 rack versions

Post by Bud Weiser »

Solaris desktop.png
Solaris desktop.png (309.74 KiB) Viewed 6568 times
Both are interesting !

I´m most interested in the 1HU "blackbox" expander and hope we get the editor software not only as a VST,- also as a SCOPE device.
At least that´s what I S|C asked for,- because S|C is manufacturing the 1HU expander.

I´m using SCOPE in "standalone" mode and I´d like to have the Solaris 1HU expander in a rack together w/ XITE-1 and the (rackmount) computer,- not urgently running a native VST DAW if possible.
SCOPE/XITE and Solaris together as a sound module, digital mixer (also for ext. hardware instruments), multi FX and routing device is the/my target.
No ASIO in the ballpark.

Different machine running native stuff incl. ASIO and RME or such in addition ...

:)

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

The 1U will do me - I'm more or less using the XITE-1D as a rack mount (multitimbral) Bowen synth anyway.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Out of love for everything Bowen I want both.

Man when I used a Matrix 12 and XPander I felt like a bad ass.
I’d still run the “desktop” from the Physis K4, let the Solaris keyboard run the 1U.

If they’d just make booth babes legal again I’d be at NAMM.
My money goes for CES every January. NAMM is a sleeper in comparison.
But this year really reflects consumer spending trends, everybody has something lately.

Beautiful sight though ain’t it....

Kind of cool how this forum is where it all started.
at0m

Post by at0m »

dawman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:23 pm Kind of cool how this forum is where it all started.
Bowen started long (decennia!) before that. but yea, he did bring the modular to Creamware back in the early days, too. What a move.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
dawman

Post by dawman »

The Oasys PCI was my first want and desire but Gigastudio won the day.
Then Giga w/ Scope PCI.

Maybe play from the Cloud in 10 years.

When you think about it, Moses was the first guy to download files from the cloud to a tablet.
We’ve come full circle.
dante

Post by dante »

Bugger the Cloud. I want everything in my rack whether I’m using it at the time or not. I’m even pressing my 1U rack mount DB50XG back into service as I can use the laptop to run XG-Gold to access the hidden QS300 sounds (4 oscillator).

Can’t wait to see the new Bowen and UAD stuff in 2 hours !
dante

Post by dante »

Looks interesting ! Reminds me of my E-Mu Proteus from the 90th.
Solaris 1U
Solaris 1U
solaris-rack-expander-1u-730x352.jpg (67.17 KiB) Viewed 6430 times
GO JOHNNY GO GO GO !
dawman

Post by dawman »

MultiTimbral. Nice get rid of ZebraHZ and Omnisphere.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:03 pm Looks interesting ! Reminds me of my E-Mu Proteus from the 90th.

solaris-rack-expander-1u-730x352.jpg

GO JOHNNY GO GO GO !
WOW !!!
Now I´m surprised because it was always announced as a blackbox featuring MIDI, USB, audio I/Os, SmartCard slot and PWR-switch/ LED.

And now w/ display, buttons, knobs and s##t,- and (I hope) fully editable (?) ... Yes ?

I like these rackmount designs (from the 90s) !

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

I think the image above was a teaser, which I didnt realise since I didnt translate below into English when I first saw it - no pics of real thang yet. But ....

"John Bowen is actually planning a Solaris expander in rack format. But he is still not quite sure himself whether this should only be a voice extension for the keyboard version or a completely independent product, as he tells us.

In the next few hours we are expecting photos of both versions, which Tom Wies will hopefully take on site at NAMM 2020. That's how long you have to live with the placeholder above, but I didn't just want to have a white field as the lead :-).

Now John Bowen is on his way to NAMM 2020 with a first prototype of the SOLARIS 1U and has sent us his thoughts via email to find out what the AMAZONA.de community thinks about it:

John Bowens SOLARIS 1U 19 ″ rack synthesizer
“Sonic Core had the idea to develop a 1U rack module with a Solaris motherboard. They made a prototype that had a headphone jack, a volume control, and a power switch on the front.

The back is identical to the current Solaris back. My suggestion was to add a MIDI activity indicator and an additional control card for the main volume (otherwise the volume control would only affect the headphone output).

There should be a software editor for the SOLARIS 1U that Sonic Core is currently working on, but which is not yet available for the NAMM. Now that we have completed all SysEx communication, I use a Solaris keyboard during NAMM to control the SOLARIS 1U expander. As you may know, there has been a poly chain function in the operating system for a year, with which you can interconnect 2 units to increase the polyphony to 20 voices. This will be my main focus for the rack at NAMM.

So far we are unsure whether we should equip the Solaris 1U expander with a display. So my main question for AMAZONA.de readers is whether they would buy such a module.

First of all, as a customer for the SOLARIS 1U expander, I only see the current Solaris keyboard owners. But could that also be interesting as a sound module for computer users?

I assume that the price for the current SOLARIS 1U version (without display but with editor) will be around 1999 USD. However, this can change as demand increases. "
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:17 pm
John Bowens SOLARIS 1U 19 ″ rack synthesizer
“Sonic Core had the idea to develop a 1U rack module with a Solaris motherboard. They made a prototype that had a headphone jack, a volume control, and a power switch on the front.

The back is identical to the current Solaris back. My suggestion was to add a MIDI activity indicator and an additional control card for the main volume (otherwise the volume control would only affect the headphone output).

There should be a software editor for the SOLARIS 1U that Sonic Core is currently working on, but which is not yet available for the NAMM.
O.k., that´s what I already knew and thought to be the reality.
dante wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:17 pm So far we are unsure whether we should equip the Solaris 1U expander with a display. So my main question for AMAZONA.de readers is whether they would buy such a module.
Depends on price.
dante wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:17 pm First of all, as a customer for the SOLARIS 1U expander, I only see the current Solaris keyboard owners.

That´s sad !

John is obviously ignoring users not focussing the computer but have integration in their hardware keyboard rig in mind.
dante wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:17 pm But could that also be interesting as a sound module for computer users?
It´s interesting for any computer user knowing what SOLARIS as a synth is and who wants one ... w/o keyboard, wheels, rotarys, displays and ribbon.
It´s all about the controller/editor software IMO.

VST/AU device is essential,- and I also hope for a SCOPE editor device in addition.
I duno how complex it is porting already existing code for VST/AU to SCOPE later or develop side-by-side.
dante wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:17 pm I assume that the price for the current SOLARIS 1U version (without display but with editor) will be around 1999 USD. However, this can change as demand increases. "
That´s what I know too.
But normally, it changes in the direction to be more expensive.

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

These guys always make the best gear, but marketing is expensive and a gamble.
This is why I send my money in advance because I’m a man of faith.
The God of Scope always answers my prayers.

How much, when can I send it, and I don’t want to know anything about production.
Send me an email when you ship it.

I will punish my adversaries.
dante

Post by dante »

A more up to date pic :
Solaris desktop and 1U
Solaris desktop and 1U
bowen-solaris-tt-und-1u-730x481.jpg (108.24 KiB) Viewed 6273 times
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:20 am A more up to date pic :

bowen-solaris-tt-und-1u-730x481.jpg
thx for sharing !
Actually for me the most interesting stuff @NAMM.
The desktop version looks big still and even it lacks the keyboard, ribbon and LH controller section.
The 1HU unit is what I want 1st WHEN the editor is perfect.

Bud
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Cool. Would also be super cool if they updated the Solaris scope plug in to work better on Xite, replacing/reworking the step sequencer section to work on Xite. 😁
dante

Post by dante »

Liquid EDGE wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:37 pm Cool. Would also be super cool if they updated the Solaris scope plug in to work better on Xite, replacing/reworking the step sequencer section to work on Xite. 😁
Well, if I read above correctly S|C are working on the editor for the 1U Solaris so looks like that's the priority of a John/Holger partnership ATM.

That also indicates to me that the 1U is a standalone MIDI expander not just a poly boost for the Solaris keyboard.

Anyone more update from NAMM ?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:27 pm
Well, if I read above correctly S|C are working on the editor for the 1U Solaris so looks like that's the priority of a John/Holger partnership ATM.
That was the original plan when I contacted S|C because of my interest in the 1HU unit last year and because JB advised to do so in JBSynth Design forums http://forums.johnbowen.com/viewtopic.p ... 746#p22746 ...

At this time the info was there´s a VST editor planned and I asked for a SCOPE device in addition already which Holger forwarded to the developers team.
It was unclear if a SCOPE device was realizable at all or if it ever will make sense doing it.
If it´s realizable and makes sense because enough users will be interested in, it might be 3rd row nonetheless.
dante wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:27 pm That also indicates to me that the 1U is a standalone MIDI expander not just a poly boost for the Solaris keyboard.
Well, I became already irritated when the desktop model prototype pic appeared.

Why a fully editable desktop model and a 1HU w/ software editor when the desktop can be for the users not owning a Solaris keyboard synth up to now and want a cheaper and more compact solution,- and the 1HU will be the polyphony expander for existing Solaris keyboards synths requireing sysex communication only and making the development of any software editor obsolete then.

I think that is what we´ll get now because most users/ potential buyers might want a desktop fully editable w/o computer.
dante wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:27 pm Anyone more update from NAMM ?
Not yet

Bud
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

dante wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:27 pm
Liquid EDGE wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:37 pm Cool. Would also be super cool if they updated the Solaris scope plug in to work better on Xite, replacing/reworking the step sequencer section to work on Xite. 😁

That also indicates to me that the 1U is a standalone MIDI expander not just a poly boost for the Solaris keyboard.

Anyone more update from NAMM ?
Clearly, I’m just saying it would be very much appreciated to update the Solaris plug in for Xite!
dante

Post by dante »

Well if the 1U is just an expander for the keyboard that rules me out. I don't have the space for either the keyboard or the TableTop. Whilst it would be good if there was further development of the software version I doubt that will happen, there's just too much attention focused elsewhere. And if the 1U is just an expander for the keyboard I think strategically that would be a mistake as it restricts the market.