Windows 7 64bit - any incompatible devices?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

guppy

Re: Windows 7 64bit - any incompatible devices?

Post by guppy »

I have the same clicks using vlc, only audio. No problem if i'm watching a video with it.
Foobar is cool :)
The only audio software that doesn't click is wmp, but i hate it.
it is the same with win7 32 and 64bit, and win8 32 and 64 too.
I have this problem with scope cards and xite1. I think it's v5 wav drivers related. (no irq problems with 1156 motherboard). And i changed my asus p7p55d for a gygabite one, it was the same.
Asio works perfectly, and i was using asio into foobar to listen music (and it sounds a little better than wav driver).
the strange thing is that if i reloaded 4 or 5 times the software or relaunch the song several times, it was working fine.
I never managed to know why.
Last edited by guppy on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guppy

Post by guppy »

tlaskows wrote:Hmm,

I've never even heard of Foobar. Just checked it out.

BTW, Winamp still works fine on Windows x64. And I think Winamp has plugins for MOD/S3M files and other trackers. There's even an Adlib S3M plugin. But my 20+ year old files don't sound quite right.

-Tom
Foobar has all plugins you need :)
https://www.foobar2000.org/components
i got a lot of xm files and foobar is the only one to read them correctly.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Ahh, crap. Sorry another long day.

Yes, I looked at the list but didn't 'search' for S3M. I shall see if it plays my good old Adlib S3Ms. I have regular ones too! This is some old memories ahaha.

Cheers!

-Tom
pranza

Post by pranza »

Sounddesigner, 64bit system would run all your 32bit plugins fine. You loose only 16bit program compatibility when going x64. And you also have to have x64 drivers... In Scope you'd loose wave in, z-matrix, osiris xp and that's about all.

As for network... no, my network IRQs are not shared with anything but NDIS.sys, that is main network driver in Windows, chokes system quite a lot if there are network hungry programs running (soulseek, torrents...). Stopping network driver cuts all those transmissions too, and that's how it helps. The other issue is that Intel changed something in their drivers after 19.1 and it's related to interrupt handling. For some people it show up as extreme repeated spikes in dpc monitor.

guppy, good to know, but WASAPI doesn't help me. I still have random clicks in wave driver. Maybe wasapi + foobar would be fine, have to try.

As for tracker music, modplug tracker might be the answer...
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Hmm,

Weird.

Foobar does not play Adlib S3Ms. It doesn't know what to do with them. It just throws an error. Winamp was the best I could find :/

-Tom
gruebleengourd

Post by gruebleengourd »

pranza wrote:Sounddesigner, 64bit system would run all your 32bit plugins fine. You loose only 16bit program compatibility when going x64. And you also have to have x64 drivers... In Scope you'd loose wave in, z-matrix, osiris xp and that's about all.
You also lose support for sample playback in the STS samplers, and devices that use those components, such as many zarg synths. Zarg synths I've got were not happy in 64bitland for reasons beyond that as well - general stability.
pranza wrote: As for network... no, my network IRQs are not shared with anything but NDIS.sys, that is main network driver in Windows, chokes system quite a lot if there are network hungry programs running (soulseek, torrents...). Stopping network driver cuts all those transmissions too, and that's how it helps. The other issue is that Intel changed something in their drivers after 19.1 and it's related to interrupt handling. For some people it show up as extreme repeated spikes in dpc monitor.
Even though I had no network utilizing software running (my music PC is for music only!), disabling the intel lan device did seem to fix my problem. It may always be listening even if there is nothing running that overtly uses the lan.
guppy

Post by guppy »

tlaskows wrote:Hmm,

Weird.

Foobar does not play Adlib S3Ms. It doesn't know what to do with them. It just throws an error. Winamp was the best I could find :/

-Tom
Even with the plugin they made for it ?
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/v ... put_adplug

so bad :(
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yes, even with the plugin... Not many players can play this very specific format. See, most people don't even know that S3M support the OPL chip...

I made a player for it 20 years ago, played almost perfect. You'll need a 486 or slower with a SoundBlaster and DOS...

http://www.thomaslaskowski.com/?page_id=538

-Tom
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

pranza wrote:Sounddesigner, 64bit system would run all your 32bit plugins fine. You loose only 16bit program compatibility when going x64. And you also have to have x64 drivers... In Scope you'd loose wave in, z-matrix, osiris xp and that's about all.
Yea you may not lose your 32bit plugins when going x64bit but there is a chance you may do lose them as well. You have to rely on bridges/adapters wich may be buggy and unreliable and add more of a resource demand. Complexity with software is a source of problems of one form or another and bridges add another layer of complexity that's unnecessary in my situation so I stay 32bit. One thing I learned with computer-based-music is 'keep-it-simple'. I'm on Windows 7 32bit and will stay here till it truly makes sense to me to move on. I learned in life and with computer-music "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it".

There's good reasons why those users on X64 bit platforms and those on Protools platform hop into every thread about Native plugins on various forums and start begging or flogging the developers to code a version of the plugins for their respective platforms as well. It's cause bridges and sub-hosts are unreliable and a inconvenience and just not ideal for several reasons. As A SCOPE user on a 32 BIT system I have no desire to hop in every Native plugins thread to beg or flog the developer for a SCOPE port (unless those developers are already SCOPE developers then I may ask) cause common-place plugins really aren't a asset to this platform and cause I already have an "embarrassment of riches" with my 32bit SCOPE based rig. On a 32 bit system I have more than enough SCOPE and Native plugins and don't see any reason to change that. If I go X64 bit I may lose some of what I have wich may mean wasted money and the need to buy more to replace them may arise, and all that is wasted time as well.

But I'm also glad Sonic Core coded a x64 bit version of SCOPE for XITE-1 for those who do need or prefer X64bit. I'm not saying I'm opposed to x64bit for others, it's just not for me and I believe many people who do go x64bit don't need it but just like chasing technology. But I know some do need x64 bit and I know we all may be forced to go x64 bit at some point so I'm glad SonicCore and many Native developers have coded x64 bit versions of their software. To each their own!
pranza

Post by pranza »

hya!

Regarding Scope 64bits - it's just the driver that is 64bits (and it must be so in order to work on 64bit operating systems); all the XTC vst plugins and Scope software are 32bits as before, except some modules that are perhaps "sucked-in" by the driver - these have to be specific for 64bits; that's why some Zarg synths and other stuff didn't work, but afaik almost all of required .dsp files are provided by Sonic Core in 64bit - you just have to find them on their FTP and copy over the 32bit ones in your Scope installation. Of course, S|C could add them as a default files in x64 installation, i don't know why they don't.

There is also a cool thing very worth the money called jbridge - that makes your 32bit vst plugins work in 64bit-only compatible daws and vice versa! It doesn't mean that XTC mode will work with any DAW as as I said before there are issues with ASIO driver or if you would - there have been changes to ASIO implemetation guidelines - so in some DAWs oldscool Scope ASIO wouldn't work, and also XTC vst is old version which is even rarely supported in 32bit DAWs nowadays. I'm saying that about v5, as v7 has a new ASIO without XTC and so – another story.
garyb

Post by garyb »

just fwiw, the Scope software itself has absolutely nothing to do with audio. it is simply the GUI for the dsps. it has nothing to do with things being compatible with 64bit. the issues with VDAT, STS and XTC mode are related to the fact that those functions were designed for win98 and XP sp1. 20 years ago, there was no nt kernel and there was no 64bit computer.

XTC mode development was ceased when it was released for Scope v3. it was an abortion from the start since the cards were never made to work that way. development has resumed, we'll see if it's possible. it is NOT a driver issue.

the reason that the sequencers in the Zarg synths and why some Zarg synths are limited in polyphony is because those were designed about 18 years ago and have not been updated. 3rd party devices have 64bit files provided by the developer, if the device uses special dsp or sys file. the rest of the 64bit files(mainly sys files) are provided by SC.

you CAN simply update the 32bit install into a 64bit install by running the installer. of course one should back up the folder before any update.
dante

Post by dante »

garyb wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:30 pmXTC mode development was ceased when it was released for Scope v3. it was an abortion from the start since the cards were never made to work that way. development has resumed, we'll see if it's possible. it is NOT a driver issue.
Interesting to know in what respect. We know Sharc power can be deployed across PCI/PCIe then exposed as VST's since this is how UAD stuff works. So does that only leave software (card firmware and/or host side software) ?

I mean, if it was a card hardware limitation this would imply that we cant have XTC without new XITE or PCI cards themselves. Therefore must be software right ? Not the cards per se themselves.
garyb

Post by garyb »

UAD does not work the same way that Scope cards do.

it will take software, but the difference is in the way that hardware is made. Scope hardware was never meant to be part of the ASIO host's environment. it is the opposite.
dawman

Post by dawman »

garyb wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:41 pm UAD does not work the same way that Scope cards do.

it will take software, but the difference is in the way that hardware is made. Scope hardware was never meant to be part of the ASIO host's environment. it is the opposite.
And praise the Lord for that.
valis

Post by valis »

While I wouldn't denigrate Holger's efforts to get XTC working again, it's been almost decades (plural) now and UAD exists as the alternative for those who want that kind of functionality. Scope does something that nothing else out there really does imho, and that's its strength. Play to your strengths...