Wont get fooled again - unless I fool myself

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Wont get fooled again - unless I fool myself

Post by dante »

Well, I mix on these cheap phones Sennheiser HD2 or somesuch - they have small ear muffs. But then I go listen on the train next day on Beats earbuds from iPhone and have to go back and make adjustments to the mix. The beats rich up the bottom and the top. So I remix a couple of times till the mixes sound good on both the Sennheisers and the Beats.

There's also a larger spare pair of cans but I don't use them coz I figure they beef up the bass too much like my Mrs's Sony ones she uses on aeroplane trips. Well she doesn't anymore actually coz she cant figure out how to plug them in and they are bulky, so she uses them in studio to wear when putting down cover vocals for fun.

Anyway I'm reading on forums how Sennheiser HD280 Pro are the way to go, flatter frequency response etc etc. So I'm looking online for stores that stock 'em for about $140 Aus and planning a trip to go pick up a pair either on the way home from work or on the weekend. I'm thinking that'll be great coz maybe I wont have to remix stuff as much to get it to sound good on 2 systems.

Anyway I then look more closely at the larger cans that Ive ignored for god knows how long - and they are --- you guessed it --- SENNHEISER HD280 PRO ! :lol: :lol: Now that I realise that the pro's use em Im sure they will sound better :lol: :lol: :lol:
garyb

Re: Wont get fooled again - unless I fool myself

Post by garyb »

never do an important mix on headphones...
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

A friend of mine uses all kinds of speakers to get his mixes finished. ( monitor boxes, cheap mobiles, mono bluetooth boxes..)
Is there a strategy to turn headphones into perfect monitoring boxes by compensating their glitches with EQ ?
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
dante

Post by dante »

There sure is : check out

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app Audio processing for headphone monitoring ?
dante

Post by dante »

garyb wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:39 am never do an important mix on headphones...
Hey yeah - I should try telling that to my wife at 4am when she’s trying sleep :)
Janni

Post by Janni »

-/-
garyb

Post by garyb »

headphones ALWAYS have the disadvantage of the left and right speakers not interacting in the air. this means possible phase errors that you won't hear. if you're just amusing yourself, then it's not an issue.
dante

Post by dante »

Well, you’ve reminded me that I can use my Tannoys for a week whilst she’s away, but the rooms not perfect anyway. If the HD280’s help getting a better mix first time that works on most anything, streaming, tannoys, car stereo, iphone buds etc then that’s all I care about.
dante

Post by dante »

Actually, I got home 3 hours ago and I didn't even realize I had the Zoom output going into the Mesa Boogie 20/20 amp. So mixes coming out of Harrison, into Mesa's Valves then Tannoys sound unreal. I got analog warmth at every stage. So thanks for reminding me bout those whilst I still have a week to go :) This weekend will be a self amusement bonanza !
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Thanks dante for the tip. I'm going to keep those headphones on my wish list.
garyb

Post by garyb »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

do things however you like!
it's a good idea to check for missing audio using loudspeakers at some point early on, if you mix in phones.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

is there a place I can download that CAN CONTROL ? The links on the scopeportal seem to be dead.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

nebelfuerst wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:35 am is there a place I can download that CAN CONTROL ? The links on the scopeportal seem to be dead.

This is the correct link to download

https://forums.scopeusers.com/download/file.php?id=5464
dante

Post by dante »

garyb wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:00 am :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

do things however you like!
it's a good idea to check for missing audio using loudspeakers at some point early on, if you mix in phones.
Yeah, when I'm no longer alone in house the only speakers I can listen to are the car stereo but I've got those EQ'd to the max to take out all the coloration they add (mainly treble) so they're not really what I'd call neutral.
garyb

Post by garyb »

phase issues are the thing to check for in that case.

if your wife can't deal with the noise, you need some extra space or a new wife. no excuses. :lol:
dante

Post by dante »

Well, there's always the ol' Mackie PA in the garage - I could move into there since its a 2 car garage and we only got 1 car :P :lol: :lol:
garyb

Post by garyb »

no mixing on PAs.....
that IS a rule.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:40 am
if your wife can't deal with the noise, you need some extra space AND * a new wife. no excuses. :lol:
* I fixed that for ya !

:D

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:12 am ... the garage - ...
perfect place for wifes,- no ?

:lol:

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Oh phase issues, I remember using the phase correlation meter in DAS MasterIT when I first got it, but the reading was always more than half way between 0 and + 1

https://www.scopeusers.com/ScopeRise/is ... ikmast.htm

After a while I never bothered to check it, because it was always like that and wouldn't know what to listen for specifically. Either I don't have mixes that generate phase issues (maybe because I do everything LCR and only use 1 mic - everything else is ITB) - or I don't have accurate/trained enough hearing to pick up phase issues anyway, irrespective of whether I'm mixing on cans or speakers.

The Tannoys sound great though. But even after using those I had to come back and cut some high harshness after listening in car and iPhone.