SpaceF Fats

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

SpaceF Fats

Post by dawman »

I decided to mess around with my time off, Im taking my newest K4 apart which Ive never used on a gig yet, and it will be my new rig. The 5 year old K4 will become a spare.
The new one is getting a White Paint job with Gold and Platinum Metal Flakes.
Like the ancient padded Kustom Amps, or the old Kustom Organ.

But Im testing out new plugins from the update, old plug ins, etc.

I put Fat II S plugs from SpaceF on every channels insert pre AUX. They're the perfect amount of overdrive.
But never really noticed the cumulative effect coming from the Mains because when I had the Fat Bastard SpaceF Mixer I played Rock Tributes with Johnny Rod and the gigantic ass kicking drummer. I just had to get loud and cut, so maybe 2 different instruments at a time was what I did. Never really noticed the Fat II S’s cumulative effect.

But now Im layering 3 and 4 instruments per part and Scenes of 4 Zones, so lots of stacking.
The Fat II S’s cumulative effect is awesome.
I do have high fidelity IEMs and stage monitors so I can hear the greasy bacon from so many Fats getting stacked.

Incredible plug in.

Anybody noticing this when recording?
If your going after that 70s album type of distortion this very adjustable.

Thanks Holger and SpsceF.
dante

Re: SpaceF Fats

Post by dante »

Yeah it’s definitely down to cumulative effects. I tried mixing tracks in Reason inserting a demo of the UAD Harrison channel strip. Just wasn’t on par with running it thru Harrison MixBus 32C. I read on there forum that a null test of the same mix thru MixBus vs Reaper nulled to zero when tracks had no processing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HopuC1CmWM But apparently MixBus 32C kicked reapers ass when kicked in all the compression, bussing and saturation etc. not saying the YouTube maker was unbiased, but I definitely think a DAW mixer purpose built to emulate an 70’s or 80’s analog responses is the way to go.

Is putting Fat inserts in another mixer better than just using a whole Fat Valve mixer ?

http://scope.zone/index.php?id=1360&lg= ... d_2437=197
dawman

Post by dawman »

Not better, but the mixer below was designed for hardware FX, which leaves lots of I/O’s for inserted FX, etc.
Love this mixer too.
Click on the question mark and use texts to display CC#’s.
Quicker than gojng to the Control Module and scrolling.

7B125D4D-C5AC-45AD-BE81-4FA129303E8B.png
7B125D4D-C5AC-45AD-BE81-4FA129303E8B.png (123.19 KiB) Viewed 11188 times
dante

Post by dante »

Ah ok so you shove the Fat inserts into channels on CWmix. Good one.
dawman

Post by dawman »

On the channels where it works the best, LASS and Jethro Tull Flute or Saxophones sound better ungreased.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Damn, this new mixer is fun.
Im dumping my Strymon Big Sky because I really dont need MIDI Automated Reverb even though this is a phenomenal Pedal.
The TC Fireworx Reverb is a set and forget sound, extremely high quality warmth and fidelity.
I play on various stages, concrete, wood carpet and grass.
I simply adjust the unit to get the space I need for a particular gig and just leave it on the last AUX, no need to automate ir even use MIDI Prgrm Chng messages.

It will sell overnight for the price Im asking.
325 + shipping. Everyome else wants 450mused and mine is mint and newer, plus Cabling for Multi Out PSU.

Meanwhile back at the ranch>.........

I now put a SpqceF Fat II S on AUX 1 and its like bleeding in more dry signal, but a greasier signal like my RP56s.

No end to the fun I get with Scope Projects live using automated mixing and effects.

Ankyu
dawman

Post by dawman »

Sold within 1 hour.
Sore dick deal....you cant beat it.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Generous price that Jimmy, some lucky soul's christmas came early :)
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

ooh my :o
You are probably going to regret that someday :)
The Fireworx does have a great sound though.
dante

Post by dante »

Heres a pic of the Cumulative Magic in Mixbus - the Drive knobs on each channel which I rarely touch - but the Acoustic guitar track was unfortunately recorded with a bit of distortion so I cut the drive. Pic shows hardware routing to my Zoom UAC-8 - which Ive more or less left on default so whats pinned is just something randomly picked I think..

Tabs on the side and bottom where you can have the matrix for other parts of the mixer.
Mixbus Cumulative Magic
Mixbus Cumulative Magic
Mixbus32C.jpg (566.17 KiB) Viewed 10871 times
valis

Post by valis »

I use my RME Totalmix mixer to do the same thing, but nice to see Harrison has an equivalent in software.
dawman

Post by dawman »

t_tangent wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:07 pm Generous price that Jimmy, some lucky soul's christmas came early :)
He’s a student.
He needed help because the Liberal Professors rape him with Student Loan costs.
A local kid came by the gig. He was feverish and when I see a fellow musician/gear addict I like knowing they get lots of pleasure.
Besides these jackwagon jergovs on Reverb and eBay got no heart.

Big Sky is a monster verb pedal but its better for vocals and guitar.
Keys rarely need blossoms and blooms and other beautiful tricks.
Just a quality sounding verb works, and Fireworx and Scope love each other.
Just a nice warm recreation of stages nd Halls, set and forget.

Modulations and delays, must be automated.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Cool. I am sure he will cherish that :)
spacef

Post by spacef »

I got the behringer FX2000 last year... i heard that it is a a TC Electronic rack inside, (not sure which one).... it's better than the best vst reverbs that i have (softube stuff), and they take no dsp... The rotor effects are also great for guitars, and one chorus is also great eventhough i don't use it (a friend played Purple rain with it one day, it was awesome :-) ) . But I haven't heard any 3D in the so-called 3D Effects. doesn't matter, bought it only for a hardware reverb...

About stacking FATS, the technic is acceptable, and you get fatter and fatter, but - for stereo sources - mind the panoramic field that might be reduced to "almost mono" (you loose stereo effect because of the heavy processing that usually tame some L/R differences/peaks, leading to less apparent stereo effect, just like compressors do). This does not affect mono sources obviously.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dante

Post by dante »

What if you put separate fats on each side ? ( left /right ) or would you be better of applying some mid/side or other stereo widening processor in series after ?
spacef

Post by spacef »

Hi Dante, seperating the stereo in two mono would not change much as 2 mono Fats are the same as 1 stereo Fat (a FAT S is made with two FAT M inside). A stereo widener is a solution. In fact, if the aim is to get a output sound close to the input, all the technics of mastering can be applied, ie equalizer and stereo widening. The "mono reduction" is what you get with heavy limiting and such, and the same happens when stacking FAts one after the other. You end up with a kind of heavy limiting.

But Fats are made to change the sound anyways, they are not meant to be "transparent" at all, so it depends what you are looking for. Personnally I don't stack them for studio work. I think it is ok to stack them for live shows where stereo is less important (or even not-desired sometimes).
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dawman

Post by dawman »

spacef wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:01 am I got the behringer FX2000 last year... i heard that it is a a TC Electronic rack inside, (not sure which one).... it's better than the best vst reverbs that i have (softube stuff), and they take no dsp... The rotor effects are also great for guitars, and one chorus is also great eventhough i don't use it (a friend played Purple rain with it one day, it was awesome :-) ) . But I haven't heard any 3D in the so-called 3D Effects. doesn't matter, bought it only for a hardware reverb...

About stacking FATS, the technic is acceptable, and you get fatter and fatter, but - for stereo sources - mind the panoramic field that might be reduced to "almost mono" (you loose stereo effect because of the heavy processing that usually tame some L/R differences/peaks, leading to less apparent stereo effect, just like compressors do). This does not affect mono sources obviously.

Hey boss, Im liquidating and prefer giving stuff away to friends rather than dealing with people coming by and seeing all my gear.
You can have one my TC Fireworx if you pay for shipping.
USPS would be pretty cheap as theae are not really heavy units.

The reverb is to die for though.
So realistic. Its like standing on a large stage and positioning yourself further away using decay and other editable parameters.

I had to put mine back into action and I have four of these.
Im keeping two for parts just in case.

Imagepicture upload
Last edited by dawman on Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

The Hedra and Fireworx are awesome on stage.

spacef

Post by spacef »

Very tempting but I am a little bit broke at the moment for music gear (even if it is only cheap shipping)..... I need to be cautious... otherwise I would have taken the unit :-)
is that a roland drum box or synth under your pedaltrain ?
Last edited by spacef on Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dawman

Post by dawman »

Tell you what, pm me your address, Ill just send it you.
The Behringer FX2000 + TC Fireworx should cover your FX needs.