Propellerheads Reason 11 coming soon

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Sounddesigner

Propellerheads Reason 11 coming soon

Post by Sounddesigner »

Looks like Reason 11 is comming soon. The most notable new feature IMO is that you can now use Reason's Rack as a VST plugin now and not forced to use only the limited Rewire wich does not allow Audio from your DAW to go into Reason and be processed with Reason's Effects. Reason as a VST allows one to use Reason devices i.e. Synths, Effects, Combonator, sequencers, etc alone in your DAW like regular VST's and i believe with Audio-in from your DAW unlike the one-directional Rewire. This is awesome IMO and really adds to Reasons ultra flexibility.

There are also new devices and DAW features for Reason 11. Propellerheads have been in recent years developing Reason the right way and v11 continues this right way. Here's a link to new features and a video - https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/new

Propellerheads also are changing their name to Reason Studios.
dante

Re: Propellerheads Reason 11 comming soon

Post by dante »

Yep it means Ill be able to run all my Reason Rack devices in Harrision Mixbus 32 C - so it looks like I wont need to even track in Reason as much - or at all over time. All we need now is XTC mode for XITE and I can run Scope plugins within Harrison as well - meaning no more proWave bouncedowns / stem outs !

proWave as a true DAW plugin - awesome.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

I'm sure a lot of oldtime Reason users is gonna love this upgrade and consider it a major one. Reason as VST has been desired and requested for a long time now. Reasons modular Rack is the very heart of Reason so having that as VST is a great thing. It'll truly be one super-plugin due to all it has and can do. As soon as i go 64bit soon one of the first things i'm gonna do is upgrade my old copy of Reason to version 11. A lot of nice features and devices have been added to Reason over the years that got me sold on it again.
dante

Post by dante »

I think it will also allow the SSL mixer as a plugin to other daws - an interesting proposition. But I’m sold on Harrison now and have the system for stemming out of Reason into Harrison down pat. Maybe just the addition of an external SSD to speed that part up a bit. XTC mode for XITE would complete the workflow awesomeness for me. I have a huge investment in Reason RE that will all be available directly in MixBus now :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Sounddesigner wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:05 pm Reason as VST has been desired and requested for a long time now. Reasons modular Rack is the very heart of Reason so having that as VST is a great thing. It'll truly be one super-plugin due to all it has and can do.
WHEN it works the same ... yes.
No MIDI-Out for the ReasonRack-VST plugin when released. That feature is planned for some future release.

I myself I have the impression the main target of the VST is retire ReWire !

It´s hard to speculate until using it.
Sounddesigner wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:05 pm As soon as i go 64bit soon one of the first things i'm gonna do is upgrade my old copy of Reason to version 11. A lot of nice features and devices have been added to Reason over the years that got me sold on it again.
Yeah, I´m still on v6.5 being installed on my WinXP 32Bit machine.
I bought the Reason 10 upgrade some days ago and will install/register when my 64Bit machine is up and running ... maybe upcoming week.
I hope Reason 10.4 runs well w/ XITE-1/SCOPE v7 on Win7 Pro 64Bit, Z97 ...

Maybe I´ll get Reason 11 for free after registering v10 and because of the grace period.
We´ll see.

B.t.w.,- I wonder why ReasonRack VST is VST3 and Reason as a DAW doesn´t support VST3 still :-?

:)

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

Because VST3 is required for the advanced i/o people will want to properly use cables, at least imho.
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:18 am I hope Reason 10.4 runs well w/ XITE-1/SCOPE v7 on Win7 Pro 64Bit, Z97 ...
The latest version of Reason 10 works well with Scope on Win 10 x64 (XITE and PCI) so should work on Win7. On one 10.x release of Reason it wouldn't recognise Scope drivers and some other what they called 'legacy' drivers - Props fixed it after about a month a couple of months ago. That was the month I buyed the ZOOM UAC-8 - which in turn got me going into Harrison Mixbus 32C- so in a way I'm glad that bug occurred & I now have more analog sounding mixes and additional redundancy as well.

But yeah Reason + Scope should be ok on your OS now.

It would be good if a) Harrision + Scope played nice together and b) XTC mode comes back for Scope (incl XITE). Then everything will be super interoperable.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:53 am Because VST3 is required for the advanced i/o people will want to properly use cables, at least imho.

Yes, I appreciate the Reason VST Rack is VST3.
But I also wished Reason application itself supported VST3 plugins.
In fact I hoped it did already in the v10 update and now find lack of VST3 support in v11 somewhat disappointing.

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:06 pm
The latest version of Reason 10 works well with Scope on Win 10 x64 (XITE and PCI) so should work on Win7.
Thx, good to know !
dante wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:06 pm It would be good if a) Harrision + Scope played nice together and b) XTC mode comes back for Scope (incl XITE). Then everything will be super interoperable.
I guess a) depends on b),- does it ?

I´m humble and be happy when SCOPE 7.1 update appeared,- fixing BNC Wordclock and some (ideally all) of the 64Bit issues.
AFAIK, XTC Mode is planned as a separate application,- so I fear it will come after release of SCOPE 7.1.

Actually, I don´t have any imagination how XTC-Mode might work as a independent app.
My guess is it will be something NEW and possibly works different.

Maybe also a VST3 SCOPE rack hosting all stock (and 3rd party) SCOPE devices´ DLLs (32/64Bit), ready to launch inside any DAW supporting VST3 and just like it´s advertised for the Reason Rack VST.

I can dream ...

Bud
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Bud Weiser wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:18 am
Sounddesigner wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:05 pm Reason as VST has been desired and requested for a long time now. Reasons modular Rack is the very heart of Reason so having that as VST is a great thing. It'll truly be one super-plugin due to all it has and can do.
WHEN it works the same ... yes.
No MIDI-Out for the ReasonRack-VST plugin when released. That feature is planned for some future release.

I myself I have the impression the main target of the VST is retire ReWire !

It´s hard to speculate until using it.
Yeah, the lack of MIDI-OUT in the first release is screwed up and hopefully it won't take too long to fix that problem. It's not a deal-breaker for me personally but i seriously do want that feature. I'm still excited for the new Reason-Rack VST release just a little disappointed.

I've noticed that Propellerheads have dramatically improved the soundquality of Reason and their developing skills. Their latest modular synth Complex-1 sounds lovely and compared to older Reason devices it's a very significant step forwared sound-wise. They said themselves it's their most ambitious and complex device they ever made for Reason, i guess that's why they named it Complex-1 :) . It sounds really nice IMO and i can't wait to get it and i feel it makes Reason A LOT more powerfull. Really good soundquality to go with all the Manipulation utilities, Sophisticated Routing, modularity, etc makes Reason very powerfull now and highly desired for me.

Reason's Complex-1 Modular link - https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... nthesizer/

EDITED
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:04 pm
dante wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:06 pm It would be good if a) Harrision + Scope played nice together and b) XTC mode comes back for Scope (incl XITE). Then everything will be super interoperable.
I guess a) depends on b),- does it ?

Bud
Dont know. To use Scope normally you have to choose its driver in the DAW. But XTC I remember something about tweaking DLL's in your file system and using those as VST's. Whether or not you have to choose Scope as your DAW driver to access those DLL (which may address Scope independant of DAW selected driver or not - (as long as Scope itself is running)) I cant remember - or probably never tested.

I know I can run Scope whilst my DAW is using ZOOM as a driver then feed proWave back into the DAW via ADAT & Zoom mixer.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Sounddesigner wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:12 pm
Yeah, the lack of MIDI-OUT in the first release is screwed up and hopefully it won't take too long to fix that problem. It's not a deal-breaker for me personally but i seriously do want that feature. I'm still excited for the new Reason-Rack VST release just a little disappointed.
Same here !
I´d like running ReasonRack VST inside another DAW like Studio One Pro or Reaper and use Reason modulators like step sequencers, arpeggiators, LFOs etc. and route out to hardware synths or even into SCOPE running on a different machine because I use XITE and PCI.

BUT ...
It´s not only lack of MIDI-OUT for the 1st release of the ReasonVSTRack,- it´s also "single MIDI channel" only (!!!) and no VST hosting inside the Reason VST Rack.
So, it´s seems it won´t be more than a Combinator w/ the lack of VST hosting ... :lol:
Sounddesigner wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:12 pm I've noticed that Propellerheads have dramatically improved the soundquality of Reason and their developing skills. Their latest modular synth Complex-1 sounds lovely and compared to older Reason devices it's a very significant step forwared sound-wise.
Well, I´d have to buy and use before I like or really need.
But it´s an interesting device for sure.
Can be I´ll jump on it, but 1st I´ll try to squeeze out as much as I can from RSN v10.4 I just bought.
Many new features and stock devices since v6.5 I´ll have to explore ...

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:23 pm
Dont know. To use Scope normally you have to choose its driver in the DAW. But XTC I remember something about tweaking DLL's in your file system and using those as VST's.
Yep, renaming files as .dll (or similar) was it, then put those files into the VST plugins folder and put SCOPE into XTC (VSTIM) mode.
Then launch DAW scanning the VSTplugins folder and registering the .dll files added.
dante wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:23 pm Whether or not you have to choose Scope as your DAW driver to access those DLL (which may address Scope independant of DAW selected driver or not - (as long as Scope itself is running)) I cant remember - or probably never tested.
It worked,- but it drove me nuts when I DIDN´T use SCOPE in XTC (VSTIM) mode,- just only as the audio driver/card for the "other DAW" while SCOPE project w/ ASIO and mixer devices ran "standalone" on the same machine.
Then, p.ex. Studio One Pro was unable scanning those .dll files and put em on the blacklist so they weren´t unavailable next time I wanted to use XTC (VSTIM) mode again.
There´s quite the option fixing that but it´s all cumbersome and waste of time.
In fact, that was the main reason I decided for running SCOPE on a separate machine,- possibly 2 separate machines,- 1 WinXP and PCI and the other Win7 and XITE.
As long we´re waiting for SCIOPE 7.1, I think it´s good to have a SCOPE 32Bit system still, while checking out SCOPE 7 64Bit on a different machine.

I think about running Reason and whatelse native (StudioOne/ Reaper/ NI etc.) on the fastest machine using a RME card.
I just read Reason has "Ableton Link" built in and now think about if it´s possible syncing MIDI across these 3 machines that way.
It might be possible w/ the iConnectivity MIDI interfaces supporting 2 computers via network and 2 USB devices simultaneously,- means,- one out of three computer´s MIDI must run via USB.
I´ve read Ableton Link is optimized for mobile USB devices like iPad/iPhone which both use USB MIDI via camera kit,- so it should work w/ just only 1 (the fastest) of the PC´s USB ports connected too.

Interesting post about "Ableton Link" over @MPN-Computer Lab ...
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthread ... ost3004294

Bud
dante

Re: Propellerheads Reason 11 coming soon

Post by dante »

Just got Reason 11. Not using any of its new features, and cant use the rack plugins in Harrison Mixbus 32C because Reason Rack is a VST3 and Mixbus only supports VST2. So need to either buy something called DMF MetaPlugin for $70 Aus https://ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst- ... x-wrapper/ or else wait for Propellerhead to release their rack plug as an AU format & hope Mixbus 32C recognises that.

At the moment none if this really concerns me since I'm happy with the current workflow of just stemming out of Reason into Mixbus 32C - Reason does this pretty well and allows you to stem out each or selected tracks - audio or VST - dry or wet, normalised or not, choices of multiple sample / bit rates etc.

I was disappointed with the Props having a higher priced 'Reason Suite' version - which really only had one plug I was interested in or didn't already have - its a thing called 'Scenic Hybrid Instrument' https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nstrument/ which looks and sounds interesting and I could definitely use but at $99 I'll wait till it comes on sales, hopefully Black Friday. IMHO they should have thrown this in free with the normal upgrade or at least a discount code for those of us who already had a bunch of the plugs in the 'Suite' version.

Heres a youtube of the Scenic Hybrid Instrument for us gearlusted toyboys https://youtu.be/J_EqTpUnxl8
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:47 am Just got Reason 11.
I bought RSN 10 upgrade when nit was on sale, then registered and installed a few days ago.
Yesterday, looking into "my products", I recognized I got RSN 11 for free, upgrading form RSN10 and been ready for download.
Not bad !

But on RSN-Talk I read it´s buggy when it comes to the VST3 rack at least.
Seems all the other features are the same tan RSN 10.4 except the 3 or 4 new FX.
Maybe I try RSN 11 next week, actually being busy installing NI K12 which is a 4 day nitemare already, downloading the updated content since the stuff on the USB3 drive is already outdated.
dante wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:47 am I was disappointed with the Props having a higher priced 'Reason Suite' version -
Where I´m unable finding the upgrade price for.
As advised, I logged into account to see the price but there was nothing ...
dante wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:47 am which really only had one plug I was interested in or didn't already have - its a thing called 'Scenic Hybrid Instrument'
Yep. I´m interested in it too !

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:49 am Where I´m unable finding the upgrade price for.
As advised, I logged into account to see the price but there was nothing ...

Bud
If you go to the shop whilst logged in the 'upgrade' with price is at the top but you have to wait because first it shows the normal upgrade price - for me $99 AUS - then after a minute it refreshes browser frame and shows the Reason Suite Upgrade price - $249 AUS. And since the only Suite version device I wanted was that 'Scenic Hybrid' thingy the math didn't add up - cheaper for me to buy 'Scenic' separately which means wait for sale and its even cheaper.

also I just noticed two little black dots (paging dots??) under the main add - if you click on the right hand one then you get the Suite banner & price.