BlackBox II, why isn't it around anymore?

General discussion for SpaceF Devices

Moderators: valis, spacef

Peter Drake

BlackBox II, why isn't it around anymore?

Post by Peter Drake »

I recently acquired a PCI card with BlackBox II and license. It's really impressive stuff, but not available anymore? Has all of this been incorporated into newer SpaceF devices?
What I've explored so far works great, but should I anticipate running into problems running this on Scope 7 at 64bit?

Mainly I'm curious as to why such a great set of tools isn't readily available anymore.
faxinadu

Re: BlackBox II, why isn't it around anymore?

Post by faxinadu »

It is really cool I like it a lot too, neat tools.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Please accept my apologies for not knowing, what the Blackbox II is about.
Are there any links to help me out ?
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
spacef

Post by spacef »

Hi all,

I am thinking of making it available again. Interested ?

@ nebelfuerst : it is an ensemble of synths, effects and tools for scope. it is a pack that was made over the years, between 2002 and 2004 (I forgot).

It has filters and oscillators loadable in some devices such as synths. So it is "semi modular".

it is also compatible with modular mixers.

It is not available because I wanted to change the protection system which slows down the loading.
Also, a few filters and oscillators were lost in a disk crash.
A few do not sound great, so a remake would actually be new versions.
Removing the protection will take an awful lot of time, so I was thinking of making it on a subscription based like Patreon or the like.

I would also like to remake DXD and An-Osc/Bi-Osc synths for krOn/CV

In any case, the amount of work is pretty huge so it would takes several months to complete. Motivation is not there. Hence the idea of a subscription based system, to keep me going, and if I have to stop the re-development, then noone would get hurt financially and everyone would have gotten something anyways.

What do you think ?
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

@Peter : no there is no incompatibility of any kind BlackBox II is still compatible with all DSP plateforms (or more exactly, all scope/Xite DSP cards are backward compatible with most devices I made since Scope )

The reason why it is not available is simply because the website had to be remade from scratch and BB2 was not reuploaded: I was thinking about removing the current protection that is not satisfactory (it is annoying to me, so I don't even imagine how it can be for others) .
I also realized that some source files were lost forever, and so the worklload to make it fully available again in a new form would be more than I expected. I was also buzy in other areas and could not take care of it.

The user area could be made available again, but I confess I completely fogot how to manage those html and htaccess files (now that everything is done by CMS like wordpress/Joomla etc, i lost a few of the web skills I had in the early 2000...).

But it will work fine and you can always contact me in case of issues.

BlackBox II filters are also compatible with mono channels of the Modular Mixer I and II... a remake would make them compatible with stereo channels too. I would make the synths compatible with KrOn and CV signal generators in general, by adding CV inputs.

Please see the previous post for my suggestion about how you guys could get me motivated to make a newer version, because it would take several months (it took several years back then).
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

Sign me up. I was away from Scope for a while, so BlackBox came and went while I wasn't looking, but there are tantalizing hints of its power in various posts here. Yes the protection is annoying, but sometimes it's waiting for me to okay a location to a component and the incomplete patch does interesting/strange stuff that I like. I have the SDK and very modest coding skills and would be willing to help. I'm a big fan of your design choices/philosophy.

I have plans to get into KrOn and CV in general, so this is very exciting.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Medhi; If you are going to work on Blackbox then I'm def in. I'm not fond of subscriptions but if that's what keeps you in the game then i'll consider it.
Blackbox was an absolute bargain when you sold it.

Dan
spacef

Post by spacef »

i guess they could be individually released at a very low price each. The advantage of subscriptions is the "motivation in advance", . But at the same time it may not be necessary. I have an eq+filter here which sounds pretty nice.
See you later!
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

i recommend a spaceFAT Inserts Bundle.
http://scope.zone/index.php?id=1360&lg= ... &d_2437=41

and the good old Zarg RD series II module pack,
77 modules allow you to greatly expand the functions of any current Zarg Music semi-modular
http://www.zargmusic.net/n_archive.html
http://scope.zone/index.php?id=1360&lg= ... &d_2437=34

everything compatible with each other...
...ask SC about a summer sale package remake ;)
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
spacef

Post by spacef »

I've uploaded a new filter
https://spacef-devices.com/product/filt-eq-1/

it can be used as a regular Equalizer or modulated filter. It is particularily adapted to Modular Mixer effect routings (positions 6 to 16 for example, where you can have two effects in parallel, or any other position as it works just like a regular effect in other mixers).
Can be used in mono or stereo channels.

There is a demo (some parameters are not available) and the device should be in your account/downloads after checking out.
Let me know if you encounter any problem.
Enjoy !

Mehdi
Attachments
FilteQ01.png
FilteQ01.png (145.62 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

Questions/Answers on the filter:

Q - why is the Lowpass on a curve of its own ?
A - because when added to the other curves, it changes the display dramatically, and the eq info is not useable anymore. it is better to see your Eq curves in all conditions, and the filter separetely is useful too. Displaying the sum of both in 1 curve is useless.

Q - I would like a flat Eq by default and all parameters at "init" position
A - The file that is downloadable has eqs at 0 gain and other values at their default. I did not do it for the demo (forgot).

Q. Will selecting the bandpass 12 dB as modulated filter change the curve too ?
A. Yes it shows a "bandpass shape.

Q. What is the option "Curve / Move" ?
A. The two buttons under "Curve" are show/hide buttons. The "Move" disconnects the modulation and the curve is set back to the Frequency Offset (Freq value). Disabling the moving curve is a graphic thing. It does not change the actual modulation of the filter.
Hiding the movements of the curve can be useful for confort reason. It can be useful if you are running a heavy projects with lots of Midi CC and graphics become sluggish.

Q. Why is the Low Pass curve always showing even when the filter is off ?
A. I wanted to be able to hide the curve manually when I find it annoying. Adding a secondary condition to hide the curve takes a bit more resources (you have to tell the device to recognize whether the Filter is on/off and whether the user wants to show it or hide it). So it is a practical decision. May be it is better to hide the lowpass curve when the Lowpass is off. I will evaluate this before the second filter and make a change, but you can tell me what you think.

Q. What is the "Level section ?
A. The Gain is placed just before the Equalizer. The Vu meters show the levels at the output of the EQ, and at thge output of the modulated filter (end of signal chain). So you can see if the signal clips after the Eq, and change the gain accordingly. The "LP" vu meter is the signal taken just after the LowPass/Bandpass section.

Q. What's next ?
There will be a Filt-Eq 2 with bandpass stuff, then it will grow from there either with classic BlackBox stuff, or new stuff, or both....
A synth with the Filt-Eqs should be pretty cool :-) (not done yet, filters come first).

Enjoy !
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

I got it first, tested it on some dub, and it sounds mighty. Works on an insert too, which allows some control of parameters.

I'm still working my way through all the goodies in BlackBox II, it should be a lot less overwhelming to get one piece of BlackBox III at a time.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Just wanted to say how awesome SpaceF Devices are.
Just bought the new EQ/Filter.

Man or Myth.......Mehdi
spacef

Post by spacef »

Hi All,

Some news.
First, Filt-Eq-1 has been updated and a new version has been sent to registered users. Let me know if you didn't get it.

This update has various drive and dirt parameters (drive & color), a +12dB output levels (can saturate)...

Next: there will be a BlackBox III, and there will be old and new devices:
- Old: without no or little modification, simply a re-release of the old stuff, with a proper SC key
- New: either entirely new, or based on old stuff improved.
- Some stuff cannot be remade: they crash the sdk and I guess they are either too old or use outdated components that forbid their loading in SDK. But it does not matter because I think better can be done 

It will be sold like this for a little while:
- A key for BlackBox III will be sold by Sonic Core, hopefully at a low price such as 20 €
- I will continue selling the BB3 devices one by one as they are released.
- Once there is enough to make a bundle, then the bundle will be sold on SC Shop as usual.

The device online has been updated with the dsp module. You can download it here and ask a demo to SC: https://spacef-devices.com/product/filt-eq-1/
Attachments
FilteQ01u.png
FilteQ01u.png (143.44 KiB) Viewed 7395 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

That's great Mehdi. Looking fwd to BB III
dawman

Post by dawman »

Black Box III.
And thanks for the new Saturation and EQ Tweaks.
spacef

Post by spacef »

Roland Cloud offers a 1 month free subscription.

So I gave it a go and had fun using them as oscillators for FIltEq1 (audio below)

There is a SH 1 + SH 2+ JV1080 playing long notes (the very begining of the track)

Then I progressively add the "wet" filtered signal thanks to the "dry/wet" pots.
Only the left channel of the synths is used. FilteQ "mono to stereo" (Audio on Left Input, Modulator on Right input).
The FiltEq Eqs have been worked on before the session to balance bass/medium/trebles as I wish. parameters remain untouched during the whole session.

The track begins with a KrOn modulation then I add the included LFO (saw down) - trying to sync it manually with the manual trigger button (a couple of hiccups...). After several clicks on the "manual trigger", I find something ok. Then I begin to play with Frequency, resonance and try various Drive and Color Mode (you hear the switching between modes). I also engage the R Delay @ 18ms at some point.

I think it sounds fatter than VST filters, and in any case, it is a fun way to change oscillators from dsp to vsti...
nb; filteq1 does not use the "'uknow filter" nor aims at making a roland sound.

--> MP3 --> https://spacef-devices.com/DOWNLOADS/au ... tEq-01.mp3

and the same with eq, comp, delay on the synth https://spacef-devices.com/DOWNLOADS/au ... tEq-03.mp3

TRICKS.png
TRICKS.png (305.35 KiB) Viewed 7346 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website