PCI-e to PCI extender for Scope ( experiment going to be a solution :) )

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: PCI-e to PCI extender for Scope ( experiment going to be a solution :) )

Post by garyb »

no. :)
bosone

Post by bosone »

It arrived today! super fast from China/Hong-Kong!!
I hope to test it on the next week. I came to the conclusion to setup an additional case, and to bring the extender and the scope+pulsar boards to this second case. otherwise i have no way to install it in my current configuration.
I will also detach my 2 hard disks to this second case, so that i maybe remove more sources of heating in my system.
i'll keep you informed! :)
snoopy4ever

Post by snoopy4ever »

bosone wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:55 am It arrived today! super fast from China/Hong-Kong!!
I hope to test it on the next week. I came to the conclusion to setup an additional case, and to bring the extender and the scope+pulsar boards to this second case. otherwise i have no way to install it in my current configuration.
I will also detach my 2 hard disks to this second case, so that i maybe remove more sources of heating in my system.
i'll keep you informed! :)
cool bosone !!!! pls keep us posted and good luck with the tests ... I see performance coming :D
bosone

Post by bosone »

Just a dumb question before I start: should I download and install some driver??
bosone

Post by bosone »

... nevemind. the question was really dumb!

http://eshop.sintech.cn/pcie-express-x1 ... p-977.html

"No drivers required"

:P
bosone

Post by bosone »

sad news: It is not working on my system!!!!

the driver installed but with two cards on the PCI extender i got a communication error with a DSP of a board and some more errors.
so SFP is not loading at all.

i have tried to install just one card (scope 15 dsp) removing the pulsar (6 DSP): SFP is starting but i see no improvement at all in PCI performances. I can load 9 masterverb either with the PCI extender or in the standard configuration.

so i'll simply give up... :(
maybe is my gigabyte board.

i also tried two different PCIe slots but in one of them the system is not starting at all.

if someone wants to try i can give him the board for something less than what i paid it...
David

Post by David »

I tried this on my system too with an oem card with the same chip (£13) with a similar outcome on a Scope 5 installation
Also a gigabyte board
2 boards pulsar 1 & 2
Both cards install drivers
Pulsar 1 had board communication error but was corrected by reloading dsps
Keyfile import sucess
Then error : installation error or invalid key! Cant start Scope application
Scope 5 doesn't load

It's the same with either card in either combination or on their own with xite running or without
I'll keep fiddling, at least both these boards are still ok

Had a moment where pulsar2 was seen as an Xite device but that went nowhere too!
bosone

Post by bosone »

my idea is that you can use the PCI extender to add a single card to your system but can not rely on it to use 2 cards or to increase the PCI bandwidth performance. in fact i had the same masterverb count with or without the PCI extender (using only the scope board)

in my case i could probably add a third card but i don't really need it...
valis

Post by valis »

Since I've been reading this thread piecemeal and am at work, has someone been able to use this solution as a way to ADD more PCI slots to a system that has 1 working slot? Ie, your 'master' Scope card is in the physical PCI slot and these simply add 2 more electrical connections to expand your Scope cards, but the primary card remains in the PCI slot that is attached to the motherboard...?
bosone

Post by bosone »

I would say that the PCI extender will add just 1 PCI slot. so you should be able to keep 1 card on the main board and 1 card on the PCI extender.
valis

Post by valis »

Thanks, so a highly compatible motherboard plus one of these is an option for those who wish to go that route.

I'm still running a P4 era dual xeon rig that is rather loud, largely due to being a SCSI based machine with 10k rpm drives. Being able to move that box to a modern low thermal solution would be great, imo, and I would prefer something newer than Core2Quad. So this opens up options quite a bit.
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure, but unless you really wanted cutting edge, z87/97 motherboards and processors take no additional hardware and would still be a major step up for you.
valis

Post by valis »

I was thinking perhaps AMD, but who know...won’t do that until winter at least.
at0m

Post by at0m »

et voila:
27DSPviaPCIe-2-PCI.png
27DSPviaPCIe-2-PCI.png (42.54 KiB) Viewed 6069 times
For now, I've added this 6DSP XTC-card with no IO, and I've only loosely hung it inside the PC case. No MV testing, just loaded yesterday's project.

The ultimate test ofc would be to move all 3 DSP cards to those expansion cards (I have 2), for those motherboards who don't even have PCI slots. But I don't have a need for that nor a proper machine for that now, and also..
The ADAT connectors on my other cards (Scope, Pulsar2) aren't too convenient to remove and insert (quite some force is required for that, damn metal connectors on the cables), so this is ok for me - for now. Later I may go look for an extra IO board, but I'll have to jump that bridge when I cross it ;p

edit: the PCIe to PCI adapter card, €12.5 at time of writing: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32849431927.html and the extension cable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32857626033.html
Last edited by at0m on Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
David

Post by David »

Gigabyte aorus z390 no pci slots
Added oem pcie to pci card with same chip
Loads with Pulsar2
8 Masterverbs
No errors

Also loading a Pulsar 1 rev1 - but this card can cause worldclock errors when loaded alongside Pulsar2 in certain pcie slots, however which combination doesn't work hasn't been fully tested

Thank you for the heads up on this solution - it's much quieter this way than a 2nd pc
fraz

Post by fraz »

Looking at the little PCB where the 2 x PCI slots are, there is a black vertical connector (SATA power)___that would connect to the PSU "power supply unit" for the computer.

A good PSU would have a cable to connect to this to provide power from the PSU to the PCB for the 2 x PCI slots - Just thought to mention this to see if the people who have tried the card have connected it to the PSU?

In some cases another adapter would be required if the PSU didn't have the correct male or female connector
bosone

Post by bosone »

fraz wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:01 am Looking at the little PCB where the 2 x PCI slots are, there is a black vertical connector (SATA power)___that would connect to the PSU "power supply unit" for the computer.

A good PSU would have a cable to connect to this to provide power from the PSU to the PCB for the 2 x PCI slots - Just thought to mention this to see if the people who have tried the card have connected it to the PSU?

In some cases another adapter would be required if the PSU didn't have the correct male or female connector
i thought to try but in my case it would be useless... maybe it is necessary to power 2 cards, who knows?
the idea to use the PCI extender for me was to increase the PCI bandwidth but this did not happen... in my case using the PCI extender would add nothing to my setup but complexity!
fraz

Post by fraz »

Yes I agree having looked at one of these - It is like a miniature motherboard, where there are 4 standoffs to screw into a case chassis which would be additional to the motherboard so working something out would be a little difficult
snoopy4ever

Post by snoopy4ever »

at0m wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:58 pm et voila:

27DSPviaPCIe-2-PCI.png

For now, I've added this 6DSP XTC-card with no IO, and I've only loosely hung it inside the PC case. No MV testing, just loaded yesterday's project.

The ultimate test ofc would be to move all 3 DSP cards to those expansion cards (I have 2), for those motherboards who don't even have PCI slots. But I don't have a need for that nor a proper machine for that now, and also..
The ADAT connectors on my other cards (Scope, Pulsar2) aren't too convenient to remove and insert (quite some force is required for that, damn metal connectors on the cables), so this is ok for me - for now. Later I may go look for an extra IO board, but I'll have to jump that bridge when I cross it ;p

edit: the PCIe to PCI adapter card, €12.5 at time of writing: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32849431927.html and the extension cable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32857626033.html

wow Atom !!! congrats..!!!! IT'S been a while.. since I received a notification of this thread.!!!.. BEEN busy using my setup.. working flawlessly !!!

so how you like this new setup?

looks great to me.

Regards,

Snoopy4ever
Marco

Post by Marco »

And if I had a z87-k Board with 3 cardslots, could I add one more with this extender to get 4 cards together?
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!