Z-Link w/ Strymon Pedals

Scope project files

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Z-Link w/ Strymon Pedals

Post by dawman »

My latest excuse to lug around more gear.
But I wouldn’t do it if it didn’t have a noticeable difference.
This does sound better than plug ins and better than my TC Fireworx
7F39E904-CA3B-4950-9874-5FF9CE12D46B.jpeg
7F39E904-CA3B-4950-9874-5FF9CE12D46B.jpeg (213.57 KiB) Viewed 10741 times
dNa FX w/ Pitch Shifting on AUX 1
Strymon Deco Tape Flange/Tape Chorus AUX 2
Strymon Timeline Delay AUX 3
Strymon Big Sky Reverb AUX 4

The A16 Ultras Analog I/O jacks with these Pedals have no noise what so ever.
Even with the Deco at highest levels the Tape Flange is so quiet I have to add extra drive from the Pedal for added “noise”, which just accentuates more harmonics.

Happy Camper
jksuperstar

Re: Z-Link w/ Strymon Pedals

Post by jksuperstar »

...and that A16 gives you a lot of room to grow back into a 12u rack ;)
dawman

Post by dawman »

To keep playing I have to.
I’m thinking 3 x 4Us.
A Code 8 comes out at good gigs.
If it’s a so-so paying gig they get 2 x 4Us with Omnisphere and Zebra2 HZ.
It’s dificult though going back to softies after hearing and playing the Code 8.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Added Mobious because these pedals sound so damn good.
STRYMON PEDALS.jpg
STRYMON PEDALS.jpg (246.37 KiB) Viewed 10444 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

D1250B5D-B4DC-4D54-B57B-9E5F2C1835A5.jpeg
D1250B5D-B4DC-4D54-B57B-9E5F2C1835A5.jpeg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 10081 times
BAC52BCF-31FD-4766-A0AB-3C27C9D749D5.jpeg
BAC52BCF-31FD-4766-A0AB-3C27C9D749D5.jpeg (985.7 KiB) Viewed 10081 times
05C55831-15EC-42D3-93F8-7EC003215563.jpeg
05C55831-15EC-42D3-93F8-7EC003215563.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 10081 times
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

That pedal train looks well handy. Looks like Christmas came early for you Jim, a very cool setup there :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

I’m only using dNa FX Rack Pitch Shifter, SpaceF MIDI Devices and a custom RoyT Mixer.

Time to try 96k.
I’m seeking out Dante as I write this.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Jimmy, I was just checking for updates to an iPad editor I am using for the Andromeda, and saw that the same guy had created some editors for all 3 Strymon boxes you have. https://www.audiobombs.com/items/575/ed ... us-pedals-

These run from an app called TB Midi Stuff, http://www.thiburce.com/TBStuff/?page_id=664 which is quite an interesting iOS editor and was only a few £ so I thought it was worth getting. Anyway thought you might find those other editors of interest. :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Andromeda, they don’t make synths like that anymore.

Thanks chief.
I got an iPad I was thinking of getting into some of the apps for MIDI, etc.
I automate these pretty well already but the Looper is a PITA trying to use with a Keyboard.
I’ve automated that but an iPad would be like a seperate zone that wouldn’t interfere with note on/offs.

I’m on it.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Yes, hopefully those TBMS editors will be a useful addition, and the app is cheap so figured it was worth mentioning.

Re the Strymon effects, I was looking at a few nice comparison videos and other posts from various forums the other day between the Strymon Timeline and the Electo Harmonic Memoryman Deluxe. The basic conclusion seemed to be that they sounded so close one couldnt really tell much difference, but the Timeline can do so much more as well. So yes I might look out for one sometime myself. The El Capistan sounded great as well.

The Andromeda, yes its certainly one of a kind. It's just a shame that it was dropped soon after Numark bought out Alesis, and the biggest problem is the lack of certain spares if needed. It's not without its issues but then what isn't.

I was originally thinking of getting an SE Code 8 at the time, but then this Andy came up for a reasonable price so I nabbed it. Anyway, I came across this funny but quite cool Andromeda demo yesterday which I somehow missed before. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaZkbs9T41A
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

What happened to your Deco?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Sold it to a kid down the Street.
Mobius has Leslie’s, Tape Flange, you name it it’s in Mobius, including s fantastic Ring Mod.
One stop Mod Shop Yaya.

These suckers were made for the A16 too.
There’s zero hum, just rich thick FX.

The Reverbs like Spring, Shimmer, Swell and non linear are fantastic.

My look for effects has been satisfied.
I’ve 3 x Fireworx in an SKB ATA.
Don’t let them anymore.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

ok,just curious, i would have thought that the Timeline had taken it's place since it seems more of a delay. I def like the sounds of all 4 of those pedals and i'm really trying not to get too interested because they are pretty expensive and my stompbox experiment with the A16/patchbay/stompbox loop wasn't supposed to be high end.
Having trouble with a couple of stompboxes because of the intrument level inputs which I guess I could fix with the dip switches behind the A16U.
Unfortunately when I hooked up 2 16 channel snakes to the back, I shoved it into a place that i really can't get to w/o tearing a bunch of gear apart so I guess it is what it is for now. I really need a new room, I am completely out of space and it sucks.
dawman

Post by dawman »

There’s always downsizing.
I’ve sold all of my big cabinets, mostly PA gear, and 20U worth of hardware too.
Pretty sure this rig will take several years before I get bored.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Well after careful consideration....nah truth is I just couldn't let it go dang it. I managed to pull out my A16U just enough to get a mirror behind it and flicked the switches with my finger nails. I left the inputs coming from the effects boxes in the pro level position? Hope that is correct?
Twas not an easy task but it seems to work better. Only problem is I had a couple of pro level effects so I rerouted those to the extra ADAT ports I wasn't using. I'll have to say this patchbay config is working out pretty good with the flexibility of the Xite-1.
dawman

Post by dawman »

XITE-1 as a MIDI Router is pretty awesome too.
It’s basically a MIDI Patch Bay with filters.

You just use PRJ Prest device for snapshots and kick off and on MIDI Filter settings.
Do this with audio too.

Anyone complaining about presets has never used it.

I’m using the newest version of the STM2448 and each song I do I can mute any channels, or AUX FX so only exactly what Im using is available.
The Strymons act as a giant Mulri FX Uint for the STM2448 and on my Physis I leave headroom for all channels, instruments and FX.
If I need a little more of anything during a tune I just reach to the faders knobs or pedals.
All Horn Section and String articulations are on the buttons.

I’m having a blast making shit money so you know it’s working pretty good.
I actually made 160 bucks for 2 nights, I can’t even remember if I was in Junior High last time I made that kind of money.

Do yourself a favor though and play with the PRJ Preset Device.
It’s only able to work on MIDI Channel 1 but it’s the most useful device to overcome any Scope shortcomings.

Project Presets, fucking brilliant..
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Ok, I will try it out. Never thought I really had a need since I don't play live but hey it can't hurt right?

I was wondering if you had ever seen this pedal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70YEaYtR3YQ

Does Mobius pretty much cover this?
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Well I ordered one of the KMA Horizont Phasers on Reverb Haha, it was such an impulse buy. Love the sound and all the different settings but what really sold me was the external loop. That is going to work very well with my patchbay setup. With a Scope external effects module I can route any other effect into the loop of this box including Scope effects. Can't wait to try it.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Nice sounding unit. Spurt is cool.
It’s almost in the range of being a Filter.
Mobius has Pattern Tremolo but no patterned Phase blasts, that’s awesome.
I hear No Quarter by Led Zeppelin in there.
Seems it easily gets that Maestro Phaser sound that Bonham used.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Well the Horizont is a pretty cool box I have to say. Played with it all last week. Instrument level input only but I've got my A16U all set for that and it works great. The ext loop fx thing unfortunately isn't going to work out because when the cables are plugged in it interferes with the output if you have nothing in between, which makes sense so I will have to manually do that anytime I want to use that feature. The good side is with my patchbay setup I can mix and match all of my external/internal effects.
I think my next box will be a reverb. Strymon Big Sky is top of the list of course but I've been sniffing around and there seems to be some contenders. Eventide H9 max is one. A little bit more expensive but you get more effects/features too.