New Xite Computer

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

Gaslight_Twilights

New Xite Computer

Post by Gaslight_Twilights »

Bad news, fellas (well, for me), my computer finally shit the bed, much sooner than anticipated. The silver lining in all this, however, is that my tax return is gonna be pretty generous to me this year, so, I'm gonna build a new one. Let's pretend my budget is $3k, building the computer from scratch, what CPU and MOBO would you guys recommend? Really thinking about going balls out and taking the plunge with the AMD Threadripper. What are you guy's thoughts for ideal CPU and MOBO i should put in this thing, as well as anything else I should put in this beast?
yayajohn

Re: New Xite Computer

Post by yayajohn »

:D buy a cheap used win7 computer and spend the rest of the money on Scope plugins
Marco

Post by Marco »

That's a joke!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
garyb

Post by garyb »

nobody has tried Threadripper.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

I just recently upgraded my computer about 4 months ago. I bought the i7 4790K Quad from intel and MSI KRAIT Motherboard and another copy of Windows 7 32Bit. The i7 4790K is a 4GHZ beast and is proven to work with XITE-1. It's not the newest processor but also it is not that old (about 3 and a half years old). It's a beast and it's proven.

After saying all that, I suspect most if not all new Sockets and Chipsets work with SCOPE XITE-1 if you're using SCOPE 7 Software, it's just i7 4790K is proven already and is a beast that has all the power most will need for quite some time.

Here's a link to the computer configuration thread where people list their working configurations - http://www.forums.scopeusers.com/viewto ... 36&t=27891

EDITED
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Let me add that the latest intel processors can only run Windows 10 but the i7 4790K can run pretty much any version of Windows from XP to 10.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Hi,

So many options to choose from, that is if they will work? - Depends if you favour AMD or Intel - Intel would probably be best or less troublesome for audio recording from other users write ups online.

Depends how much power you need and how many PCI-e lanes to the CPU - 4790K prices have gone up online (ridiculous) - 8700K / 8600K / 8400 / 8350K are the newer Z370 CPU's on Intel chipsets and these are pretty powerful (all of them)*

There are still the last generation or two 7700K available (4 core) Z270/Z170 - or the X99 6800k/6850k + the lower end chips

AMD Ryzen like the thread ripper you mentioned but this may be troublesome audio recording wise (compared to Intel) as it has two 1800X CPU's contained within the 1950X/1920X

Ryzen 1800X has come down in price quite a lot

Mind boggling choice - If you don't need/want to connect too much else to your motherboard (other audio cards) then the current Z370 may be the best choice playing it safe - based on the assumption it works (which it should)

Below is the comparison of 4790K vs 8600k (i5)

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/In ... 2384vs3941

Someone else mentioned 4790K being a beast - Well, 8600K is more so !!!

If you need want more power the 8700K is even more beastly or if less power is needed the 8400 or 8350K are there too.

Some research is best so a visit to the websites is best (a big hassle) to get to know the sockets and boards etc....

On the motherboard side of things who do you favour?

AsRock, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA or some industrial board like some of the other Scopers here use (AsRock Rack / Supermicro) - Mind boggling or it can be - Good luck
fraz

Post by fraz »

Don't overlook the 7820 X as well - 28 lanes - but the next gen to the 6900 K with mega performance - If that is your sort of thing -

The reckon the HEDT motherboards are the best quality, look and durability (I'm speculating) but they cost more than the enthusiast boards such as Z370
dawman

Post by dawman »

For 3k I’d build a master / Slave Dual PC set up.
You’re better off getting the best real time performance since that’s where Scope lives.

The AMD Quads are due out and look fantastic. They have powerful iGPUs and are cheap.
The Intel i3 8350s are fast and cheap too.

6 and 8 Core PCs are powerful but fast quads are my favorite.
I’m using several i7 4790k CPUs, all new so I’m not going anywhere for a while.

If you really must have large core counts DPC on a 6 Core is about as far as I’d push the count.

Don’t fall for the non k won’t overclock marketing ploy.
I used non K CPUs for years.
One bump for 400 GHz extra is a simple bump in the BIOS.
Gaslight_Twilights

Thanks for all the helpful input, guys! Reevaluating shit here and thinking about going with an Intel. Was looking at this guy: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16819117827

Jimmy, your idea sounds rrally interesting, too (your ideas always do), can't say I'm bright enough to understand the setup you're talking about. If you're feeling patient enough, it'd be legit if you'd kind of elaborate on it, just assume my skull is full of dead insects.
Secret Test Kitchen

Post by Secret Test Kitchen »

I also bought the MSI KRAIT Motherboard when it was new. Never had a problem. Love it. Looks really cool too (not that you'll ever see it after you set it up). Get one of those used on eBay, put your XITE PCI-E card in, and go buy one of these new generation hardware synths with the $2800 extra. So many great new analog options these days.......
dawman

Post by dawman »

Gaslight_Twilights wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:07 pm Thanks for all the helpful input, guys! Reevaluating shit here and thinking about going with an Intel. Was looking at this guy: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16819117827

Jimmy, your idea sounds rrally interesting, too (your ideas always do), can't say I'm bright enough to understand the setup you're talking about. If you're feeling patient enough, it'd be legit if you'd kind of elaborate on it, just assume my skull is full of dead insects.
VEPro is software from VSL.
It allows one to use Remote Desktop to combine both PCs.

This is what guys wanting to run large sampled instruments use.
Lots of Orchestral instruments that use lots of RAM.
ASIO Streaming has limitations, but is very efficient up to 32GBs.
2 x PCs using 32GBs each will load faster, and allow many more FX etc.
Some guys are using 64GBs on each PC or even 3 or 4 PCs with 32GBs...

Certain tools for certain workflows.
Having Scope is almost like having 3 x PCs...2 of them being 32GB machines.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Hi,

This seems to be the good thing about VEP 5 / 6 - It doesn't matter if the machine is 32 bit - EG Scope does or did work best on 32 bit - VEP can have a 32 bit HOST - and use the power of a 64 bit slave - So someone has a "no offence intended" but weak CPU - Such as i3 4170 on Scope - with plenty enough DSP's eg 21 for Scope plugins - With the i3 strong enough for audio channels assuming they are recorded natively - and using a slave or two with VEP on 64 bit - and getting the best of both worlds for what VSTi virtual and sample based - Voila -
Gaslight_Twilights

Alright, Gents, update:

I pussed out on the AMD Threadripper and ended up going with the Intel Coffee Lake 6-core (3.7GHz) and Asus Rog Maximus Hero X (Z370A). I installed Scope 7, it found XITE during the installation right away, and everything installed without any issues, and Scope is running flawlessly. I installed Windows 10 Home and Scope on a 2TB Samsung SSD and i also ended up getting 2× 4TB Western Digital HDD's. Oh, and 32GB RAM. This computer is insanely fast and everything is running just fine. Thanks for everyone's input.
Gaslight_Twilights

I swear I read in the past there was issues with Scope and LGA 1151, but, everything installed and works perfectly.
garyb

Post by garyb »

...not since v7...

glad you are running well!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Gaslight_Twilights wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:25 pm Alright, Gents, update:

Intel Coffee Lake 6-core (3.7GHz) and Asus Rog Maximus Hero X (Z370A). I installed Scope 7, it found XITE ... right away, and everything installed without any issues, and Scope is running flawlessly.
Thank you,- great info !!!

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:35 pm Thank you,- great info !!!

Bud
For sure !!
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Gaslight_Twilights wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:25 pm Alright, Gents, update:

I pussed out on the AMD Threadripper and ended up going with the Intel Coffee Lake 6-core (3.7GHz) and Asus Rog Maximus Hero X (Z370A). I installed Scope 7, it found XITE during the installation right away, and everything installed without any issues, and Scope is running flawlessly. I installed Windows 10 Home and Scope on a 2TB Samsung SSD and i also ended up getting 2× 4TB Western Digital HDD's. Oh, and 32GB RAM. This computer is insanely fast and everything is running just fine. Thanks for everyone's input.

Congradulations! I'm sure that new intel 3.7GHZ 6-Core will serve you well. If your old computer was kind of weak then that new one might be a mind-blowing leap forward and improvement. I would have chose intel over AMD as well. I guess I'm just not ready to trust AMD again especially since they got so far behind on multiple fronts. It's been all intel for Audio for about 10 years now, and IMV they've had no real competition with regards to powerhouse performance. Even if AMD has gotten better I'd wait awhile and see before jumping into that lake so soon (Coffee Lake looks like a much better swim :) ).

XITE-1 with that new 6-Core is truly a Weapon of Mass Destruction. If you have time you may wanna post a copy of your new working system's specs in the "XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE" thread so that other SCOPers know what PC systems work with XITE-1. It's a Sticky in this XITE-1 forum, here's the link - http://www.forums.scopeusers.com/viewto ... 36&t=27891

Good luck!

EDITED
fraz

Post by fraz »

Gaslight_Twilights wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:28 pm I swear I read in the past there was issues with Scope and LGA 1151, but, everything installed and works perfectly.
OMG - Your Coffe Lake 8700 K working with Xite - :o - Very happy for you :) - Does this mean the 1151 Z-170 would be good as well?