Using a Behringer ADA8200 with an XITE-1

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

zerocrossing

Using a Behringer ADA8200 with an XITE-1

Post by zerocrossing »

I picked up an ADA8200 for a decent price and before I get into it, I'm wondering if there's anything I should know. Do I just hook up the TOSLINK cables and a BNC? Is it wrong to assume that the XITE-1 should be the master clock source? Thanks.
dawman

Re: Using a Behringer ADA8200 with an XITE-1

Post by dawman »

I use TC Fireworx so my settings are different.
I use Scope as Master.
ADA8200 and 2 x TC Fireworx as Slaves.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

dawman wrote:I use TC Fireworx so my settings are different.
I use Scope as Master.
ADA8200 and 2 x TC Fireworx as Slaves.
OK, so that's it? Should my settings have ADAT A and BNC selected?
garyb

Post by garyb »

no need for bnc if the ADA8200 is the only unit needing digital sync.
just connect both input and outputs and set the ADA8200 to slave via ADAT.

done.
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

just to add that i have one of those - highly underrated box for the asking price. actually a bon fide decent product from behringer god forbid :) the new version with the midas pre amps especially. not for a million dollar studio, but certainly a viable budget solution.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
dawman

Post by dawman »

You can up the discrete audio at Black Lion Audio.
Noticeable difference for 450 bucks.
You can ADAT and even analog FX pedals with astonishing results.
The Radial Plexitube is a killer distortion pedal making our digital distortion a cool way to add squelch.
TC Fireworx is the sizzle too.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

garyb wrote:no need for bnc if the ADA8200 is the only unit needing digital sync.

done.
Thanks for that. Works like a charm!
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

dawman wrote:You can up the discrete audio at Black Lion Audio.
Noticeable difference for 450 bucks.
You can ADAT and even analog FX pedals with astonishing results.
The Radial Plexitube is a killer distortion pedal making our digital distortion a cool way to add squelch.
TC Fireworx is the sizzle too.
I did a couple of a/b tests and to these old ears I couldn't hear any difference between the XITE's inputs and the 8200s. With age comes wisdom? :lol:

I'm already planning on using it to take the output of my Neptune 2 and run it into the input to see what kind of madness I can get from that. My ATC-x as well. Fun.
garyb

Post by garyb »

zerocrossing wrote:
garyb wrote:no need for bnc if the ADA8200 is the only unit needing digital sync.

done.
Thanks for that. Works like a charm!
great! my pleasure....
dawman

Post by dawman »

The Black Mod Outputs are where you'll hear a difference.
But I A/B'd mine on Dual 18's, and dual 3 x way Stereo PA and IEMs, so it helped for live use.

But instead of worrying about that have fun with routing in hardware synths, FX, and other devices where 1s and 0s have a tough time reproducing that discrete audio prowess.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

dawman wrote:The Black Mod Outputs are where you'll hear a difference.
But I A/B'd mine on Dual 18's, and dual 3 x way Stereo PA and IEMs, so it helped for live use.

But instead of worrying about that have fun with routing in hardware synths, FX, and other devices where 1s and 0s have a tough time reproducing that discrete audio prowess.
Yeah, at one point I sold off all of my effects... but I wouldn't mind getting a Strymon box of some sort... or maybe an H9. Actually, I do really miss my OTO Biscuit. That would be a great effect to graft onto a Scope system.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I don't need it at the moment but if I ever decide to play the old Gibson SG again the Radial Plexitube is an incredible sounding Distortion effect with tweaks galore.
I had a Vox Distortion Booster and a Maestro Fuzz Box as a kid and they were cool, but the Radial...
If I had that as a kid I might have been a contender..
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

dawman wrote:I don't need it at the moment but if I ever decide to play the old Gibson SG again the Radial Plexitube is an incredible sounding Distortion effect with tweaks galore.
I had a Vox Distortion Booster and a Maestro Fuzz Box as a kid and they were cool, but the Radial...
If I had that as a kid I might have been a contender..
At one point I had so much guitar stuff... it was overwhelming. Slowly pared it down and now I do it all with a Kemper and a Blackstar HT-Dual pedal. Getting that Kemper really killed my GAS for guitar stuff.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

Oh crap. Lo Z out only. Guess I won't be running outs into my synths with this... not today at least.
dante

Post by dante »

My biggest regret from gear buying days was not picking up one of these little beauties - it enjoyed a 12 year production run from 1994 to 2006:
Mesa Twin Valve Pedal
Mesa Twin Valve Pedal
vtpedal.png (271.04 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
garyb

Post by garyb »

zerocrossing wrote:Oh crap. Lo Z out only. Guess I won't be running outs into my synths with this... not today at least.
yeah, but it's line level. it's just balanced +4 pro level as opposed to unbalanced -20 consumer line level. you can use an adapter, the level out will just be hot, you'll just need to turn it down. the three pin connector is not about impedance, it's about level. the three pin pro line level connections use a positive, negative and a ground and are called balanced. the two conduction consumer line level connections use a positive and negative and ground are wired together. this is called unbalanced.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

garyb wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:Oh crap. Lo Z out only. Guess I won't be running outs into my synths with this... not today at least.
yeah, but it's line level. it's just balanced +4 pro level as opposed to unbalanced -20 consumer line level. you can use an adapter, the level out will just be hot, you'll just need to turn it down. the three pin connector is not about impedance, it's about level. the three pin pro line level connections use a positive, negative and a ground and are called balanced. the two conduction consumer line level connections use a positive and negative and ground are wired together. this is called unbalanced.
That'll teach me for not reading the manual!

Thanks. I can manage an adaptor... even a transformer but if I don't need one, all the better. I'm in no real rush, I just had a couple of instruments I needed some extra line level inputs for. Going out to synths for filtering and feedback is a project I'll tackle later.
garyb

Post by garyb »

here's the best info in one place about audio connections:
http://www.rane.com/note110.html

more info from the same source:
http://www.rane.com/note151.html
nimmen

Post by nimmen »

I've done similar mods on my ADA8000 as per https://blacklionaudio.com/product/behringer-ada8000/.
First day or few was not impressed, but when BG caps started operating well, wow, impressive. Really good stuff for that kind of money, can't think of anything that comes close at this price range.
Would imagine 8200 is very similar, remember had a choice, but went with 8000, can't recall why, definitely was some reason.
modular