spent 1 hour with Rapidcomposer

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

spent 1 hour with Rapidcomposer

Post by kensuguro »

I quickly went through Rapidcomposer to see whether the cheaper alternative to Cognitone Synfire, was up to any kind of production quality. I mean, the notion itself is a challenge, and already includes a bit of a cheat. Can computers spew out music notation that is useful under the tight supervision of a musician. So in a way, I view it as a supportive tool rather than the program being able to write competent music completely on its own.

Rapidcomposer is the simpler of the two. It has a markov-esque probabilistic chord progression generator, and a phrase generator that is much like a step sequencer that can map polyphonic phrase content to the nearest chord note. (might be able to do more, I haven't gone through everything) So, not too far of from the algorithmic techno generator I made some 12 years ago. The chord generator is actually less intelligent than the one I made, since mine would pick chords taking bars into account, so that it would try to finish off a progression toward the end of the bar, and start off a new bar with a 'start' of a new progression. Rapidcomposer seems to create arbitrary chord change points (in time), and then simply assign chords probabilistically. In my experience, that's too simplistic and doesn't lead to progressions that a composer would pick.

The probablistic step sequencer that rapidcomposer uses I feel is also too simplistic. It blindly uses probability to generate notes, and while it always hits the notes it's supposed to, it leads to a lot of machine gun repeated note triggering. At least mine was based on an oscilating upper cut off point, so the chord comping moved up and down with inversions, even creating pseudo melodies in the process. I think this sort of macro level motion is quite important not just in composing since you use it to create flow and dynamism that spans longer than a 1 measure pattern. Mine step sequencer was even aware of the song structure, so it understood where the build and break points were, to adjust the parameters accordingly.

Overall, I felt Rapidcomposer was much to unstable to be worth the time. It's also functionally too limited to be considered a state of the art algorithmic composition tool. As far as I can see, everything is based on simple probabilistic models... and to my knowledge, AI and computer based decision making should be much more sophisticated. (even as of 12 years ago)

The target demographic is a puzzling one. I looked on their forums, and there seems to be a good amount of users who have a bunch of VSTi and sample libraries (ehem, where they got them from I don't know) who simply use Rapidcomposer as a means to pump notes into them and make sounds. It reminds me of piano library aficionados who only "render" midi files they find floating on the web. Obviously, those are not the developer's intentions.. but I've yet to see anyone who is creating high grade material, incorporating the assistive technologies into a professionally acceptable workflow. There are points where I can see assistive harmonizing and auto notation being helpful, like mocking up strings arrangements. Especially for huge unison staccato ostinato strings that's everyone seems to love for trailor-esque soundtracks. (makes everything sound the same, but.. people want them)

But anyway, I think it's interesting that such piece of software can now exist as commercial software... and so far, both Cognitone and Rapidcomposer are still in business. That's an amazing feat in itself.
dante

Re: spent 1 hour with Rapidcomposer

Post by dante »

You could always try this if you have Reason (or download a free demo of it) :

ChordSet https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/chordset/ :
Chordset Front Panel
Chordset Front Panel
chordset-front.JPG (16.25 KiB) Viewed 4493 times
ChordSet Rear
ChordSet Rear
chordset-rear.JPG (12.79 KiB) Viewed 4493 times
You get 12 chords per progression - press 1 key on your MIDI keyboard for each chord.

Activate the sequencer, use CV to transpose, and factory patch for Jazz, Pop, Deep house etc... and you're done ! :lol:
braincell

Post by braincell »

I have Noatikl which I like except that it causes my computer to crash constantly so I get angry when I use it. That is just not acceptable.
rockguitarzan

Post by rockguitarzan »

I am really loving the creation process with RC. It's a tool that allows me to explore and express myself while having lots of fun doing it. So far I am surprised and delighted with this piece which is a work in progress.

https://tigerboytom.bandcamp.com/track/ ... n-progress
jpo_midigods

Post by jpo_midigods »

braincell wrote: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:27 pm I have Noatikl which I like except that it causes my computer to crash constantly so I get angry when I use it. That is just not acceptable.
Im always evaluating Noatikl and other generators as midi generators only. These apps use an internal softsynth for convenience but its always better to route midi to external synths.

I like the idea of a bot that plays keyboard instead of me so i can tweak sounds.

cheers
"MIDI is the languaje of Gods" (anon)
jpo_midigods

Post by jpo_midigods »

rockguitarzan wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:36 pm I am really loving the creation process with RC. It's a tool that allows me to explore and express myself while having lots of fun doing it. So far I am surprised and delighted with this piece which is a work in progress.

https://tigerboytom.bandcamp.com/track/ ... n-progress
:o

thats what im needing :)

Im using HY free vst step seq with adjustable random and aleatory

cheers and be generative!
"MIDI is the languaje of Gods" (anon)