no need to cry after sts samplers, vst does it also better

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Marco

no need to cry after sts samplers, vst does it also better

Post by Marco »

Bye bye sts, I have 64 bit win, and vst samplers are good enough.No need to cry. The bestis still sonic cores synths, fx, mixers a.s.o.
:D
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Mr Arkadin

Re: no need to cry after sts samplers, vst does it also bett

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Well for all its flaws, STS was at least a sampler. All those VST instruments are sample players. I could record, edit and assign faster on STS than the time it takes to load Kontakt. I have Kontakt but it is a glorified sample playback library, not a sampler. To try and ease my STS-loss I have bought Nuance which, although it doesn't sample, at least allows me to assign quickly existing samples quickly due to its simplicity.

If a modernised STS ever comes back to Scope I will happily buy it.
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

An akai z4 or emu e6400 ultra goes for next to nothing... However the timestretch on the sts was awesome!!
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
dante

Post by dante »

Reason has had inbuilt sampling since version 5. And that's Live sampling ....

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2010/ ... -sampling/

Live sampling together with pitch detection of root key and automatic zone mapping makes it dead easy to sample an instrument and map the samples across the keyboard. This way you can create your own multi-sampled instruments for NN-XT and NN-19.
Marco

Post by Marco »

I see you are all believers in sts, like a religion here. No Problem for me. I believe that triple dat was the best waverecorder ever. After ISA slots death on all Mobos I had to sell my tripledat.
i had to make my life arranging with the f@@ing cubase, . . . . . . today Im quite happy with samplitude.

We all believe in jesus or not, what is your way? :D
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
vascomusic

Post by vascomusic »

No offense - just curiosity :P

What's the urgent reason that you guys really have to use 64bit OS anyway?

●Is it the pre-installed 64bit OS and license your PC came with?
●Is it because it's obviously more than 32bit?
●Is it because you have to run (video)software as well which only runs on 64bit OS.
●Do you really load that huge sample libraries into your RAM that it won't fit in the 32bit memory area? (3.12 GB on Window 32bit, without PAE enabled)

Scope, STS and all other software (tons) runs fine here on a Pentium 4 / 3.4ghz / 1GB / Win XP 32bit / internet connection disabled, for almost 10 years now without ever had to reinstall Windows..
dante

Post by dante »

In one word - the answer is 'Kontakt'.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

dante wrote:In one word - the answer is 'Kontakt'.
Same here. Oh, and BFD3 too. But yeah, no real other reason.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Kontakt
Magix Independence Pro (awesome)
Superior 2
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Kontakt for me too - just about to install version 5

The question of 64 bit?
well, as many of you know, my trusty XP running Scope 4.5, Pulsar 2, Cubase 4.5 etc died before Christmas.

There is no support for XP. There is no support for Cubase 4.5. New system boards may not take older drivers.
I could have quite happily stayed with my old rig for a few more years, but was forced into change.

There isn't really an option to going 64 bit.
All I've got to do is to install everything now & see what benefits I've got to forking out a load of money :(
garyb

Post by garyb »

why is there no option?

win7 and win8 are very much available in 32bit versions...
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

You're right Gary. Didn't quite mean it like that. It's just that developers naturally move on and support for older, familiar stuff is removed. An example would be Spectrasonics Atmosphere & Trilogy
replaced by massively improved Synths, but still, old friends in legacy projects are useful.
I can't install Atmosphere to Cubase 64 but could to Cubase 32. And so it goes on.
My response really was more to do with us all being led to shell out cash by developers and market forces. Bit of a gripe really and I didn't explain myself well at all.

In a sense I was agreeing with Vasomusic, while saying that I like Kontakt
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, but only Kontact really needs a 64bit system and even then...most people don't need the extra ram.

all the major audio apps tout the wonders of the 64bit world, some like Cakewalk, have a deal with m$. none of them are really 64bit apps though. there's almost no such thing as 64bit audio apps. they're all 32bit apps with some 64bit parts. CAD/CAM and Video are different.
vascomusic

Post by vascomusic »

garyb wrote:none of them are really 64bit apps though. there's almost no such thing as 64bit audio apps. they're all 32bit apps with some 64bit parts. CAD/CAM and Video are different.
True.
Many '64bit' applications utilize only 32bits of the databus, while addressing 64bits of the addressbus. Thats 'reason enough' to call it a 64bit application :roll:
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

even new boards except winxp as i have put winxp on i7 systems

most 32bit apps work on 64bits but need a wrapper device this takes extra resources and actually makes it more processor hungry

than using it on a 32bit system i use kontakt and its good on a 32bit system with 4gb

there are also hd drives that you can use as ram drives and all off them can be 4gb in size so by partitioning them to 4gb sizes you just use it for ram drives

i do this on my systems with ide to 36gb cf cards as most motherboards still use the ide system busses and are spare due to sata connections

then theres no problems with the sts samplers

like i said i can run 1gb multisamples in the bc modular sts osc and being modular you can do much more stuff than contact can

like gary said win7 and 8 have x86 versions i have win732bit on my i7 machine due to ni dropping support for xp on the latest release of kontakt and reaktor so that i had to upgrade but i still use version 5 on my xp also just cant use presets from version 5.09

and i have yet to hear any difference in sound from 32bit versions and 64bit versions

take uhe diva i have it and my son has it on his 64bit machine as i wanted to compare i sampled both and did a/b tests with the same patches and no sound difference at all in an analyzer or from a visual look in a sample editor the audio is still output at 32bit floating point

the bc modular sts osc with modular is like having a emulator4ultra so many possibilities your not tied to scripts your not tied to how many samples are on the instrument unlike kontakt if you want to add extra samples you can

if you want several cascading filters you can and your not tied to the kontakt sound and the very limited filter amounts
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

operating system bit architecture is not related to the internal processing used by audio apps, it is only related to the ram address, so a 32 bit audio app can have an internal processing of 64 bits on a 32 bit operating system, and with pae enabled each application can use 3 GB of dedicated ram up to a total of 64 GB., so quality of audio is not related to operating system bit architecture.
Only problem i've found with pae on windows is the incompatibility of the intel HD3000 gpu driver, so i use a discrete gpu, but all the rest is fine.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I just made my very first SFX Instrument in Kontakt.
Drug in wav's of rain, thunder, curly from the 3 stooges, star trek stuff, explosions, Seagulls, applause, loud juicy farts, etc.
I never was good with STS and had to use Kontakt since Gigastudio went bye-bye.
I have to say it was so easy to do this, and there's not really a reason for me to use STS anymore, always wanted to, but it's really a specialty item you must be very fond of, otherwise, it's old news. BNut the good news is that CHicken Systems still supports Pulsar, what they call STS samples.

I would love to see it get fixed just for a seperate SFX instrumetn as the sound quality has that VDAT magic to it.

And I do play for really tech savvy drunks who nullify their ears for every song, and try and guess our sample rates....NOT. :lol:
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

+ 1 !

Kontakt is awesome, plenty of function which STS will never have. And since 1.0 ! It's easy to output kontakt in several asio to mix & tweak it in Scope.
I don't see the benefit to have a Scope sampler : it's impossible to reach Kontakt features.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

JoPo wrote:I don't see the benefit to have a Scope sampler : it's impossible to reach Kontakt features.
Well at one advantage is the STS actually samples, Kontakt is a sample player. :P
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

STS SAMPLE OSC IN MODULAR KILLS KONTAKT period

i can do any synth i want with modular youcant in kontakt and you can just load samples you need

with kontakt it loads all the samples for the whole instrument and why you need even if they are not in the layers of the preset

as they are groups and are loaded by the script

but with the sts you just load the samples for that patch

kontakt sounds like kontakt no 14bit cc or 32bit control like bcmodular

and you cant craft your own fx or circuits or create your own filters and have it totally modular

this is all possible with the bcmodular sample sts osc