Help with gates

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Chisel

Help with gates

Post by Chisel »

I put together this toggling sample+hold patch based on a diagram I got from the Doepfer site. The three audio outs are going to the three oscillators of my MFB Kraftzwerg via Expert Sleepers ES-3. My question is, how can I make this patch more efficient with less modules by using gates instead of triggers? I tried swapping the frequency divider for a clock divider and sending the gate signals into the S&H modules, but it doesn't work. Only the trigger input works. I turned off the button on the S&H modules (although the manual doesn't even mention what this button does) and still no difference. How can I modify this patch so that I can remove the LFOs? If you're wondering, I'm using the Vol Att and DC Adder modules to focus the frequencies to a specific area so I'm not sending completely random signals between 0 and 10 volts which doesn't sound too good.

Here's the patch in action:

http://soundcloud.com/chisel316/scope-modular-iii-es-3

Thanks!
chisel316
Attachments
Modular III patch - Toggling S&H with Bass
Modular III patch - Toggling S&H with Bass
ES-3 Toggling S&H with Bass.JPG (49.84 KiB) Viewed 3277 times
next to nothing

Re: Help with gates

Post by next to nothing »

SyncStationMKV.jpg
SyncStationMKV.jpg (12.11 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
Nowadays I usually start with this one :)

From http://www.cwmodular.org/
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Since you have the ES-3 you should check out the Silentway Suite version 2 from Expert Sleepers.
I only need Oscillators and Filters now, and have much better control, and quality. The SW Sync is incredibly accurate too.
Everything you would need in Scope Modular is in the package...
Chisel

Post by Chisel »

Yes, I have Silent Way v1 & v2. In fact, I used it tonight to quantize the output of that Modular III patch to a scale before sending the signals to my Kraftzwerg oscillators. The LFO and Step LFO plugins are great for adding modulations to my setup. Today I connected 6' 3.5mm patch cables to my ADA8000 so I can have input from my hardware modular into the PC. I can't wait until Expert Sleepers comes out with an ES-3 input version! It's a lot of fun making hybrid patches with the software and hardware.

Looking at my Modular III patch in the above post, do you think it's possible to replicate that using only Silent Way? Maybe I'll try this weekend.

Peace \/
chisel316
dawman

Post by dawman »

You should read up on the modules you think you could use and see if replacing them in Modular will work.
My set up is different than yours, and I am envious as I wanted to do this years ago but everyone had a different opinion, and then some guys here figured it out.
So I am going to use the Modular modification of the SE-1X, and SWS.2.0 w/ Modular as I have a 4U finally and I am not changing my portability benefits.
My set ups take 3 minutes, and the SSDs make my 14GB templates load in minutes now.

But it is so nice to use Modular with just Oscillator and Filters only.
When using 3 or 4 note polyphony I need four different patches. Each voice can be from a differnt patch and it is a very unique sound as Saws>Pulse>Waldorf>Sync combinations are sick.
I use them for 5ths and octaves as stacattos or sustains and let the envelopes and LFOs run BiPolar and the constant motion keeps me interested in even the most boring of Juke Box crap I gotta play...

Let me know if your endeavors succeed. The ES-3 and ADATs would add so many more high quality SMUX I/Os for me...
Chisel

Post by Chisel »

Getting back to my original question... How can I simplify this patch?