Are you producing Electro / Dance Pop type music using Scope

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Are you producing Electro / Dance Pop type music using Scope

Post by dante »

If so, I'd like to know about it for a Scoperise feature on Dance Pop (vocals) primarily or even just instrumental, as long as it has a dance beat & electro elements.

To start the ball rolling I've added a track made with description of some of the techniques used, and how to beef up native sounds with Scope plugins - here :

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=30431
View ScopeRise latest issue at www.hitfoundry.com
timstoel

Re: Are you producing Electro / Dance Pop type music using S

Post by timstoel »

I am in active development of a dance electronica project using Scope Xite 1. The project has really caused me to discover and work with the effects more than ever, and the synths much less. Scope has enabled me to get rid of one 24 space shock rack FULL of effects and samplers, many of them very high end! This makes it easier to be mobile, less studio cabling to get twisted up in, lower noise, better sound, and lower cost of ownership. The Scope synthesizers are great for what they do, but none of them seem oriented towards modern sounds when compared to something like the Virus TI. That said, I use the Prodyssey and the UKNOW plugins the most. The presets in Scope do not fit my project needs, so I have been designing new sounds for mostly those two plugins. My long-term goal is to spend much more time with the modular where I know I can save my sounds with all their effects implemented in one preset, but right now I can pull any sound I want out of the Virus TI, Alesis Ion or Nord Lead in under 5 minutes, whereas I just don't have the experience or library built up with the Modular yet to design a sound that fast.

The Virus TI has a great set of effects, and those effects get saved with the patch. Effects like delay, EQ, distortion and reverb can make or break a good synth sound. I wish the synth plugins had an FX insert on the outputs and that those effects could be saved with the synth preset, instead of having to use MultiFX and a bunch of separate presets to get the job done.

The biggest hangup is the ADAT connectivity. I wish it had MADI, or even just AES on D-Subs! I have held off on buying the Ferrofish A16 or the Focusrite 828 and many other ADAT-centric options because I think I am going to get an SSL AlphaLink AX and put a MADI card in my Mac Pro, and dedicate my current workstation to only Scope. Right now I feed my synths into the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (gag...) set up as only an Analog to ADAT converter for monitoring and then I patch the synth I want to record into some high end pres and then into the XLR inputs. Sort of a hassle, but it works and keeps the workflow consistent.

The biggest asset to using Scope for this is that I can set up a compressor triggered by a kick drum on the sidechain and use the effect in realtime across any of my keyboards or Scope synths. This is a great creative tool. I also like being able to save an entire studio setup for instant recall later. All the effects sound very good to my ear, I did sell off my Lexicon PCM 81 which I used all the time because I feel the Scope stuff is on par with that in the areas that matter to me. The MasterVerb Pro, SC-Plate and SC-RMX160 would be worth it ALONE for the $3800 USD. It is easy to get lost in Scope making sounds and studio presets for hours, when all you really need to to is compose. I really see Scope as a musical instrument because I have always seen the studio as a musical instrument.

Tim
dante

Post by dante »

With the help of the likes of Shayart and Liquid Edge, one article already published.

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_13/elec_mst.htm

But more welcome. If you've got something to showcase (timstoel or anyone else) PM me or send details to scoperise@hitfoundry.com

Scope is the bomb for Dance (just like it is for Rock, or anything really but there are specific tools for each genre)) & I would produce more time allowing.
dante

Post by dante »

timstoel wrote:I am in active development of a dance electronica project using Scope Xite 1. The project has really caused me to discover and work with the effects more than ever, and the synths much less. Scope has enabled me to get rid of one 24 space shock rack FULL of effects and samplers, many of them very high end! This makes it easier to be mobile, less studio cabling to get twisted up in, lower noise, better sound, and lower cost of ownership. The Scope synthesizers are great for what they do, but none of them seem oriented towards modern sounds when compared to something like the Virus TI. That said, I use the Prodyssey and the UKNOW plugins the most. The presets in Scope do not fit my project needs, so I have been designing new sounds for mostly those two plugins. My long-term goal is to spend much more time with the modular where I know I can save my sounds with all their effects implemented in one preset, but right now I can pull any sound I want out of the Virus TI, Alesis Ion or Nord Lead in under 5 minutes, whereas I just don't have the experience or library built up with the Modular yet to design a sound that fast.
Tim

If you have any tracks ready to showcase, I'd like to do a second dance-electro article featuring Scope users electro tracks, let me know.