Nasty Steinberg DRM Problem From Hell Solved

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Nasty Steinberg DRM Problem From Hell Solved

Post by braincell »

I was just recently saying that I like the Cubase dongle but what I didn't know was that they don't handle all their software the same way.

I recently bought a Sequel Content Samples Loop Pack for $14.95 from them (it also works in Cubase). I normally don't connect my DAW to the net to avoid viruses so I figured no problem, I will activate the code in the Synchrosoft dongle on my other computer. As soon as I did that, a message came up saying I would not be able to use this software on another computer! Then I tried to install it on the DAW anyway and not only do the samples not play but you get an annoying error message every time you load Cubase even after you "uninstall" the samples and it slows the loading time down quite a bit of Cubase! After trying a lot of things and getting really angry I found a mention of a tool which removes the "soft eLicense" from the computer.

I will now go to the other computer and convert all the samples into wav files so there will be no DRM and then run the removal tool again. The loops aren't even that great. I am just doing this to spite them. If anyone has the same problem, here is the tool:

http://files.keyfax.com/PC_Soft-eLicens ... .4.0.0.zip

The issue will also arise if you try to ghost and restore an image of your system hard drive!

ANGER!!! STEINBERG!!! BAD BAD DRM!!!
astroman

Re: Nasty Steinberg DRM Problem From Hell Solved

Post by astroman »

braincell wrote:... I will activate the code in the Synchrosoft dongle on my other computer. As soon as I did that, a message came up saying I would not be able to use this software on another computer! ...
'authorizing' a specific machine isn't exactly the purpose of a Synchro-Dongle :o
in fact it's ridiculously absurd... :-?
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

That is the most ridiculous thing i have heard of (outside of the government of course). i mean whats the point of the dongle then?
braincell

Post by braincell »

Yep, it's even worse than "normal" DRM.
H-Rave

Post by H-Rave »

Is there any way you can put the soft e-licenser info onto the dongle i.e in the wizard, this is what you have to do when you update Cubase Studio 5 to Cubase 5, personally I've never done it but as you say it all seem rather against the object of the dongle, transportability.the 5.1.1 relies on the dongle anyway it updates the Syncrosoft e-licenser and adds the patch it's actually 5.12 but it still says 5.1.1 in the initialisation.
Core2Quad Q9400 2.66Ghz, Asus P5Q EPU,Radeon HD4350 4Gb Ram,320Gb 7200Rpm,Windows 7 Pro 32 bit,Cubase 4+5,NI Komplete 5+6, Scope 5 - Mix&Master - Synth&Sampler,Pulsar II Classic - PulsarII XTC,.Core2duo 3.00Ghz.Presonus Firestudio Tascam FW1884
braincell

Post by braincell »

It's on the computer and the dongle and can never be deleted or moved from the dongle as far as I know. I moved the Cubase key to another dongle.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

astroman wrote:
braincell wrote:... I will activate the code in the Synchrosoft dongle on my other computer. As soon as I did that, a message came up saying I would not be able to use this software on another computer! ...
'authorizing' a specific machine isn't exactly the purpose of a Synchro-Dongle :o
in fact it's ridiculously absurd... :-?
the thing is that the new eLicenser from steinberg (they aquired synchrosoft almost a year ago) is designed to manage software licenses with and without an usb dongle (the latter is called soft-eLicense). a soft-eLicense just doesn't need a hardware dongle.

I could imagine they don't sell software for 15usd and want to require the user to own a dongle which costs even more. there is several software around using that "tied to a specific machine" scheme. the thing is that one might expect from steinberg that they give users that already own a dongle the possibility to tie their software to it instead of the machine, but they don't seem to and you might not know in advance that it works like that.

afair a similar procedure is available for some ilok-enabled products too. at least I've seen it when audiomidi offered some nomad factory no-brainer deals last year where you could chose between both methods.

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
astroman

Post by astroman »

good point Markus - so you suspect the usual user error by missing (or ignoring) the point of selection ? ;)
I've noticed the procerdure you describe with the Eventide 2016 plugin.
They clearly write that you have to decide for one license scheme and it can't be changed later.
Maybe Steinberg is less specific about it...

cheers, Tom
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

astroman wrote:good point Markus - so you suspect the usual user error by missing (or ignoring) the point of selection ? ;)
it would be easy to say "it's all his (braincells) fault, burn him", but I'm kinda convinced he wasn't given the choice. I think I've heard of products that are soft-eLicensed only.
there is a list on the steinberg website which companies use the eLCC. the guys at robpapen.com sell the famous dongle themselves, with a limited lanyard, for double the price... ;)
and if I wasn't drunk when I read this there was even stuff that can be converted from one license type to another.

ah found it in the old release notes:

License Control Version 5.4.6.0
Release Date Win/Mac 2008-04-28
New Features
Mac/Win License Control: Soft-eLicenser licenses are transferable
and downloadable to the USB-eLicenser
(available to all software vendors).

I would read that like "they can implement it, but they don't have to."

braincell, what is your release of the LCC? they did a complete rewrite in december, so maybe you have a brandnew version that lacks that feature for whatever reason, or you have an old one that doesn't support the abovementioned procedure...
I've noticed the procerdure you describe with the Eventide 2016 plugin.
They clearly write that you have to decide for one license scheme and it can't be changed later.
Maybe Steinberg is less specific about it...
I would say they tie some products to the dongle and other products to the soft-eLicense. and it seems some soft-eLicenses can be dongled.
maybe they don't expect too many cubase users to buy sequel content because of the shabby pricetag ("can't be good, then").
--
braincell

Post by braincell »

It's not made for Cubase users because there is a lot of reverb on the drums. I don't like that. I might use some of the bass samples which are dry. I'm not buying another Sequel pack. That was a test and Steinberg failed.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

well, it's a sequel pack, after all. although it is compatible with cubase it might still not be intended for it, primarily.
thing is, they want to attract new cubase users with sequel, and maybe the original intention was "hey, let's make the packs compatible with cubase, so the potential upgrader sees an even bigger value in it because he can keep the already bought pack and use it further."

all in all you didn't lose too much money on that, so it was just a try...
--
astroman

Post by astroman »

think I'm gonna switch to UTube find that old Zep Song...
been dazed and confused for so long it's not true... :-?

cheers, Tom :D
great explanation, Markus
braincell

Post by braincell »

You do that astroman, it fits you quite well.