Re: ASUS P5QL PRO

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

outsounder

Post by outsounder »

Hi every one

I'm feeling like a newbie all over again! but i'm an oldie really!

Been running my Scope system (Vers 4 software btw) quite happily on a asus board with an ancient P4 2.5 with Win XP Pro and Cubase for many a happy year, never had any problems what so ever BUT - having just fallen in love with and bought Native Instruments Kontakt 3 i'm beginning to realise my faithful old PC is a bit long in the tooth with the new Cubase and it's native plugins...

Been browsing through the forums on here and the board and cpu's mentioned in here seems quite a reasonable cost effective upgrade, one thing i'd like to ask is what OS you guys are running, I'm not a fan of vista and not interested in windows 7 - i don't need to be replacing all my native plugins one by one, so - a simple question, how does win XP pro 32 bit run on the cpu/mobo discussed here?

Ask a retailer and they just say you HAVE to ugrade to vista at least, and I tell them I DONT WANT TO !!!

I'd be grateful to hear any experience you've had, i'd be happy to maybe ugrade too Scope 4.5 if i have to but really don't need to be wasting many a late night trying to get it all working when i should be working...

Thanks in advance for any replies !
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure, xp will work.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I also use Kontakt 3.0 and can tell you that the CPU needs to be as fast of a dual core design as possible.
XP32bit Home is what I am using w/ the 3GB PAE Switch. Using Kontakt I can add 35% more instruments with the extra RAM.
I was running an E8600 which was actually more than enough, and since this is a live rig where I will only be using 3 or 4 instruments simultaneously, I went back to the E6800 which works fine too.
My advice, especially if you are using Kontakt and have a Scope or UAD card, is to disable all of Kontakt effects after loading the instruments. You can save them to be loaded in this state also. My reasoning is this, the effects suck really bad, and eat up valuable resources, even developers know this but claim they must release their instruments with a " Wet " sound or newbies will think their stuff sucks.
If you have to use the stock effects, the smallest ambiences happen to be the best.
On any of the Pianos, the pedal down IR's should be samples of a Piano w/ the harp and harmonics opened up, but the giant cavernous reverbs that follow, can be disabled and save CPU resources.

The 3GB PAE Switch really helps out with sample loads..... :wink:
outsounder

Post by outsounder »

Hey guys

Thats great, thanks ever so much, seems it shouldn't be such a nightmare, i've ordered the bits and bobs and hopefully have machine up and running soon, I did have a response from Scope and they're suggesting i go for the new vers 5 but a bit wary of that at the mo, any one trie it? is it as stable they assure me? I've had the cards for about six years and never had any problems other than a few clicks coming down the light pipe to the mixing desk (Roland VMC7200) when i frist got the cards but that got orted by setting both card and desk to master believe it or not and that purely by accident..but what the hell, a wierd work around but it all worked flawlessly ever since !

Cheers all for your response...
outsounder

Post by outsounder »

Yeah Stardust

I agree, not a huge fan of the built in effects on soft synths, I think they're highly over used on many factory presets to bolster what are otherwise quite uninspiring sounds, I went for Kontakt as I quite like what the scripting can do, but it's a hungry beast on resources as you mention, like may of the latest generation of plugins.

I'm studio basd so i just bounce the tracks down and load them into the STS and trigger them form there, saves a huge amount of system resources, but of course if your live it's a differnt ball game and you don't have the luxury of time as you would in a mix down suite.

Interesting to hear your comments...

Cheers !