UAD/2 arrived at resellers today in Europe

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

Shroomz~>

Re: UAD/2 arrived at resellers today in Europe

Post by Shroomz~> »

Ben Walker wrote:One thing I didn't understand about the review was some new feature called 'Load Lock'. As described in the article:
A number of the UAD plug-ins can have sections disabled to conserve processing power, but if you use too many of these, you can find yourself in a position where enabling previously unused plug-in features pushes you over your hardware DSP usage limit. If you find this annoying (as I do), enabling Load Lock forces the cards to ring-fence the maximum DSP power that your active plug-ins might need, irrespective of whether you're currently using them to their full potential, so you don't find yourself running out of power just as you're putting the finishing touches to your mix. Naturally, this will normally give you fewer plug-ins, as each plug-in always hogs its maximum DSP quota.
If Load Lock counteracts the effect of switching turning sections of a plug-in off to conserve DSP, then what would be the point of switching off the section in the first place? Maybe you'd turn off features of a plug-in for some other reason, but not to conserve DSP with Load Lock enabled.

Well, it's pretty much like having Scope plugins which have dynamic dsp loading/offloading based on whether certain sections are switched on or off. Many Scope devices have this feature. Take for example an STM 2448 mixer which dynamically switches sections like EQ, Comp etc on & off DSP when you are actually essentially bypassing them in the mixer circuit. What a Load lock type feature in that case would be doing is making sure that all mixer sections are loaded on dsp despite whether you have EQ, Comp etc sections bypassed or not. It's basically just a feature to bypass the dynamic dsp loading of all sections or in the UAD's case, all sections of all loaded plugins.

Mark
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

FWIW, I reckon it's quite a smart feature for those who don't mind or can afford the dsp cost, since you'll be able to bypass sections of plugins without them being removed from dsp (if you wish).

Mark
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

In the case of Scope plugins it would make sense to do such a thing on a per plugin basis whereby every plugin would have a 'dynamic dsp load' on/off button. That way we could decide which crucial areas/plugins we wish to keep on dsp or allow to be dynamic in that sense.

Mark
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

Mr Arkadin wrote:"Latency? We never had no stinkin' latency."
Hah!! I spit on theez steenkin' latency. Image

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
dawman

Post by dawman »

I want a latency compensator controller to use w/ VST's that senses the key you are about to press and triggers them prior to contact.

Also an app that can sense you are miserable by the amount of moisture from tears that fall onto your keys, which would trigger minor and half diminshed scales so I don't have to learn to play.
firubbi

Re: UAD2 using CPU for processing

Post by firubbi »

:o
Warp69 wrote:I believe that UA have combined the Sharc DSP and Native CPU for processing - that could explain the new buffering/latency system and load on CPU for each plugin instance.
dawman

Post by dawman »

2000 USD for a card w/ 4 DSP's.............Spend the 1400 USD extra and go for the Big Enchillada !

Here's a great thread ...maybe in a year or so they might have a synth. :lol: ....
Oh boy, I better raise the flag for that noble quest.
By the year 2010 maybe a Korg CX3/Hammonf B3 emu?

http://www.chrismilne.com/uadforums/vie ... &sk=t&sd=a

They still are stuck in the same old showing a jpeg'd GUI of the Poltec, etc.
That is so bush league IMO. But sadly the concept is still viable. Just show a picture of an effect instead of trying to provide a new look ahead concept w/ GUI's, etc.
I do understand this approach, but new ideas for a new century please.
I like concepts like the DAS DynaPara and the results in sound are even forward looking.

EQ the sound of the Mid section to taste, then bleed in the Side section and lift your Floor Toms or whatever right out of the mix.
I can get the same sound with this EQ as every single EQ plug with a picture of an EQ from 1960 or whatever in UAD's choices, and still have the ability to enhance the sound further. You could spend 1200 USD just on their EQ Plugs..........Fuck that shit.
Can't wait to spend 400 USD on a monophonic MiniMoog emu w/ latency........Ya' Got Be Kiddin' Me?

I'll take more of the stuff below....ankyuvarymush.
Warp69

Re: UAD2 using CPU for processing

Post by Warp69 »

stardust wrote:AFAIK it is GPU so the data has still to be brought there, that loads CPU IMHO
I think you should reread what I wrote.

The UAD2 is not based on a GPU, but the ADSP-21369. They've changed the buffering system for the UAD2 compared to the UAD1. A latency of 256 samples for the UAD2 equals a latency of 128 samples of the UAD1, but the UAD2 still use considerable amount of CPU power compared to the UAD1 at any latency, including 32 & 64 samples.

You could then say that they use a completely different DSP compared to the old UAD1 - well yes, but let us compare with the Duende PCIe instead then - which also uses AD DSPs - and the story is the same : UAD2 use considerable amount of CPU power compared to any other DSP solution.
katano

Post by katano »

so what's the better system now? :D