Beatz (full version release Aug 20)

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

Jah Servant

Beatz (full version release Aug 20)

Post by Jah Servant »

Ok, here's the full release, lotsa controls for you to play with.
Gotta thank Brazda lui Novac for all the assistance and testing.
Knobz by Shroomz.

This is an analog style drum machine, kick, snare, hihat and 3 percussions.
Anywhere you see DK, understand it's "decay" (before somebody asks "what does DK stand for?")
Mod, Mod DK and Slope all work together, slope is the slope of the Mod decay.
DK Slp, is the slope for the amp env decay.
Trigger notes are GM midi, percussion's are on tom notes F1, G1 and A1.
The 2 tone and vol controls for the hihat are for 2 different filters, 1 is HPF and 2 is BPF so you can mix and match them as wanted.
I had a pan control but figured it wasn't that necessary and turned it into the DK Slope control because I had no room left to add it to the gui for the kick and hihat and I didn't want to shift everything around. I'm sure most will use the separate outputs anyways so the pan is kind of useless.
I'm not sure how to post a screenshot, if somebody could assist in that please? (and how do you post a screenshot?)

Enjoy,
Mark
Attachments
Beatz.zip
(450.74 KiB) Downloaded 1118 times
Last edited by Jah Servant on Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brazda lui Novac

Re: Beatz

Post by Brazda lui Novac »

I was looking for a device like this that sounded different, not like EDS16i, so thank you for his one. I also like the look and the easy interface. However I have some suggestions:

1. on the kick I would take out the LPF and instead I would put in a pitch decay or a pitch AD envelope with amount, right now the amount button acts like a resonance for the LPF. You can still keep the LPF after the shaper, but to me the it does not sound like a shaper I am used to hear. It does not help to do a punchy kick drum, but perhaps it will be better after the pitch envelope implementation. The mod acts more like a re-triggered LFO and not like a decay envelope for the LPF, because it delays the sound a bit, and it's not punchy.

2. I like the snare and the controls, but again the amount button does the resonance for the LPF. Just change the label. The mod acts like in the kick module, check the envelope too. It's a classic snare setup, what I would like to hear is a different sound, add an oscillator for FM type of sounds, or even two, and play with connections, envelopes and amounts. You can obtain a lot of other new type of sounds with it, instead of having a classical snare setup. (which is great but already done). After you'll do that all you will need is just copy the snare module another 2 or 3 times and you'll have the hihats and other new type of sounds.

3. nothing to say about the hihat module, it sounds very good and it does the job.

That being said, I think you did a great job for your first synth module, and I like the fact that it can be used easily at 96Khz. When it's finished I promise I will do some presets for it.

Cheers,

Victor
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

Can you shoot the screen perhaps ?
Brazda lui Novac

Yes, this is it...
Attachments
Beatz beta.JPG
Beatz beta.JPG (20.67 KiB) Viewed 10420 times
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

Thanks for the feedback, I wasn't overly happy with the kick myself, I'll check into what you said and see if things improve, that's why I posted it, for feedback.
Brazda lui Novac

I am glad to help. I don't know how to use my Scope SDK yet (never had enough time for it, but I've spent some time to figure out that it's not easy at all), but if there is something I can do to help, I'll do it. I have some experience with hardware analog and digital drum machines. Just PM me and I will be more than happy to help.

cheers!

Victor
Brazda lui Novac

Re: Beatz (full version release Aug 20)

and here is the screenshot
Attachments
Beatz final.JPG
Beatz final.JPG (52.94 KiB) Viewed 9793 times
Brazda lui Novac

Many thanks for this one Jah Servant, I will use it a lot in my music.
bizarre

Post by bizarre »

Thanks
Brazda lui Novac

I made 4 kits and a small demo. Take it from here:

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 13&t=25866

enjoy
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Thanks Jah Servant.

New sounds. :cool:
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Beautiful Drum & kits =)
Different and more contemporary than ESDi.
more presets please... :D
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Nice thanks, just in time for me as im going back to using some scope based drums.

And from now on i am going to use "DK" as well :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Just got back and will have fun w/ this tonight.

You once asked me how I found a use for everything you make.........................I still reply that they are always something that is needed. The 4 mono to 4 stereo is a permanent fixture on QWave now.

Thanks For Your Continued Useful Kit. :D
metele

Post by metele »

makes great deep bass fo electro, very nice work Mark.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Thanks Jah Servant I look forward to trying tonight :)

Anyone making beats 140bpm+ with involved 16th triggering via midi in scope? I would love to be able to do it but the midi protocol has a nervous breakdown with with D&B type drums or tech hats :lol:
That hasn't stopped me sampling kick me and modular but nice drum machine devices can't be fully utilised under those conditions which is a shame. I think I remember reading that they found a way to hyper midi comms in the machinedrum but I can't remember where I read that?
dawman

Post by dawman »

I only wish there was another Hi Hat note between the 2 choices available now. It's a greedy desire because all of my drum libraries on Acoustic are set up the way, and it allows you to have 2 muted sounds on 2 notes, plus the more open type sound on the third.

One could do fast 2 finger movements w/ the left hand and having 2 slightly detuned notes there would give it a more realistic feel, as drummers rarely have the same velocities on every Hi Hat strike.

But this is a very tweakable kit, nice job.
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you all are finding it useful.
It has alot of controls so it goes a little beyond most drum synths that way.

Jimmy, I understand what you are saying but I wasn't thinking of emulating a live drummer so much, but the variation would be nice, however I'm done with this thing for now. At least it responds to velocity :D