Intel DP35DP BIOS guestions

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

kaju

Intel DP35DP BIOS guestions

Post by kaju »

Should I configure SATA as IDE or RAID (default)?
And what is this Intel VIIV?

The BIOS´ Hardware Monitoring shows Processor Thermal Margin. I guess that's different from what used to be Proc temperature in good old times?
My Proc Temp Margin is 50-58 C (Intel proc cooler). Obviously that's ok?
And what about Intel Rapid Recover Technology and Intel Matrix Storage Technology? Should I just ignore them?

I´m going to use XP as os.
Fede

Re: Intel DP35DP BIOS guestions

Post by Fede »

kaju wrote: Should I configure SATA as IDE or RAID (default)?
For best performance AHCI or RAID
For compatibility IDE
kaju wrote: And what is this Intel VIIV?
some sort of support for media center use. nothing but marketing
kaju wrote: And what about Intel Rapid Recover Technology and Intel Matrix Storage Technology? Should I just ignore them?
Rapid recovery should be the support for M$ Vista ReadyBoost feature (ignore it)
Matrix Storage is the marketing brand for the ability (flexibility) of the intel motherboard to configure and use hard disks in various manners such as RAID arrays, IDE or AHCI. (good to have it)

cheers
Fede
kaju

Post by kaju »

Thanks Fede. :)

I´m still somewhat uncertain about RAID versus IDE...
AHCI is said to have problems with Windows XP, so I think it's best to avoid it.

What exactly are the performance gains of the BIOS RAID configuration compared to basic old fashioned IDE?
Years ago I experimented with RAID but gave up the idea of using it.
This time I'm interested of something Intel describes on the MoBo manual. Seems to be some kind of an alternative to HD mirroring, for use in emergency situations. It's on pp. 67-70 of the DP35DP User Manual.
Fede

Post by Fede »

kaju wrote:I´m still somewhat uncertain about RAID versus IDE...
AHCI is said to have problems with Windows XP, so I think it's best to avoid it.

What exactly are the performance gains of the BIOS RAID configuration compared to basic old fashioned IDE?
AHCI and RAID let you use sata disks as (guess...) "sata disks", taking advantage of all sata features like ncq/hot swap/protocol optimizations.... => definitely faster
If you don't enable neither AHCI nor RAID your disks will be used as old IDE with all the limitations of it.
RAID is to be used with more disks to obtain mirror conf or speed enhancements with parallel operations.
AHCI isn't known to cause any trouble in XP, it is the "normal mode" for sata disks (the simplest) so don't avoid it, use it. ;)

In order to enable AHCI or RAID features under Windows XP you have to:

- Set AHCI/RAID mode in bios, then press F6 (F5? don't remember...) at beginning of Windows installation and insert the driver diskette (in which floppy drive?!)

or

- install intel Matrix Storage Manager software after Windows installation, then reboot and set AHCI/RAID mode in bios.

cheers,
Fede
kaju

Post by kaju »

Thanks again Fede!

This is from Vikipedia:
"When attempting to install Microsoft Windows XP or a previous version on an AHCI-enabled system will cause the setup to fail with the error message "set up could not detect hard disk drive...". This problem can only be corrected by either using a floppy disk with the appropriate drivers, by slipstreaming the appropriate drivers into the Windows XP installation CD or by turning on IDE emulation in the BIOS settings if available."

So I think I understand it ok now:
I'll do as you told (the second alternative, as there's no diskette option on the MoBo):
"install intel Matrix Storage Manager software after Windows installation, then reboot and set AHCI/RAID mode in bios".
And for the installation process I have to set IDE mode in the BIOS.
garyb

Post by garyb »

unless you really need hot swap, i'd just install as ide.
you'll gain an irq and the installation will be much simpler. ide is plenty fast for audio. if you are as Fede is, tech savvy, then you may be more likely to take advantage of AHCI...
kaju

Post by kaju »

garyb wrote:unless you really need hot swap, i'd just install as ide.
Yeah. That makes things more simple and familiar to me.
But...will the eSATA be available even if I choose IDE?
Fede

Post by Fede »

kaju wrote:But...will the eSATA be available even if I choose IDE?
ehm... don't know exactly, maybe yes but without hot plug, so like ide devs plug->boot->...->shutdown->unplug...

anyway, since the mobo doesn't provide the option to use the provided diskette :oops:, you can only install in IDE mode.
You may then try the second method and... if something goes wrong...
...just revert the setting in the bios to IDE and all should be ok again.

btw, ncq is quite a good thing, it improves performance and reliability by ordering disk tasks to reduce heads movements.

cheers,
Fede
kaju

Post by kaju »

Thanks for your reply Fede.
I built this pc for my son and this time I have to be a little more traditional. He is a young and busy music professional with very little time or need for new and unfamiliar technical applications. What he needs I think is a basic and dependable working tool. :)
But I'll be building another pc for myself and I'll keep in mind what you said.

Cheers,
-k
dawman

Post by dawman »

eSATA will still be available. I had GaryB set mine up, and even though we didn't discuss this at the time, when I tested a 1U rack of 4 x Seagate 7200's 2 weeks ago it sold me on it's external 1U design. No noise or heat, and zero draw on my PSU, since it had it's own 1U PSU.

I didn't check the hot swap abilities though. I will be there tonight working w/ the guy, and can let you know. I have 2 x HDD's I need to update as my " spares " that are mirrored copies. Once I get them copied I will see about the Hot Swap for all of us.

I absolutely love my DP35DP. I can even upgrade it through next year w/ the E8600 and 4 more GB's of DDRII-800, and possibly 64bit O.S.

One thing is certain, that board and E6750 w/ 2GB's of RAM has been updated once already, and can go for at least one more upgrade.

One hell of an investment IMHO. :wink:
kaju

Post by kaju »

Thanks XITE.
My own DP35DP will have a E8400 and 2Gb (possibly 3GB) of DDRII-800.
I start building it once the holidays are over in August. I'm still waiting for some components to arrive, though.
I really like building these machines. Already built three. :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

E8400's are fine at stock settings. But those little babies OC like nobody's business.

The ultimate P35 combo will be when the E8600 arrives. At 1333MHz F.S.B. and 3.33GHz CPU speeds, they are perfectly mated.

I see no need for a Quad until the end of next year maybe, when Vista / XP and all of our audio apps. are better optimized to use w/ the Nehalem Quads.

Everyone claims they have multi core optimisations, but the CPU's current design w/ it's L2 Cache is gagging, and falls behind a fast Core 2 Duo ( unless you are using a dual socket Xeon design ). Current quad 775 CPU's are just a couple of Core 2 Duo's glued together like Saimese Twins.

Developers might make some claims about multi threaded apps. and such, but the truth is they have no benfit in XP, or on quad's that use the 775 socket. We will see huge benefits in 2009. For once we will have true multi threaded apps, and DAW's.

Good Luck, but you won't need it on a DP35. :D
kaju

Post by kaju »

:)
arela

Post by arela »

I got a E8400 with my very fresh DP35DP.
The RAM is so cheap, i'll advice to use 2* 2Gb
I did not install the eSATA set, but it might be usefull one day.

The included CPU fan is so poorly attached, so i bought a fanless one when i swaped MB
Attachments
Scythe Ninja
Scythe Ninja
Scythe Ninja CPU cooler.jpg (15.02 KiB) Viewed 3311 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

:lol:

That HS looks like some of the 45 new towers that are being built here in Las Vegas.
arela

Post by arela »

Who was the modell for who? :lol:
I own 100% of the first and 0 % of the latter, so there is as least 1 diff :cry:

edit: added a t
dawman

Post by dawman »

Good news for 8GB's of DDR2-800/ DP35DP DAW's.
I doubt I will use it but I already have the RAM since it was cheap.
I have a friend who just has to have the biggest Romplers made and wants them all loaded too.
He was waiting for me to upgrade and I just found other ways to load PhysMod VSTi's and Romplers w/ DSP synths, so I am good unless I go for these huge 20,000 sample instruments.
But for the last 2 weeks he wouldn't answer the phone?
Then a while ago I get the call to go and see the rig. No way Jose, NFL rules on Monday nights. Tommorow day I will go and check it out since he never works. :lol:

At any rate he runs VSL 64bit, EWQLP 64bit and other gigantic expenisive libraries. He uses no Scope cards, but claims the October BIOS update w/ Vista64 and 8GB's of RAM boots up fast, and can hold twice as many instruments on his overpriced FLEX DDR 2 DIMM's. He has the E8500 and the low latency RAM timings adjusted in the BIOS. I also use CL5 but didn't notice a difference. With Vista64 and 8GB's of RAM the cores appear to handle higher plug in counts of IR's and time based effects.

I looked it up and here's the update in case some want to be brave and do the same.
Personally I will wait till the laptop debacle gets stable and working.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... me=Windows* XP Professional x64 Edition&lang=eng

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17014/e ... Readme.pdf

P35/P45's by Intel sure look to be a longterm wise investment for Scope cards, and DAW's w/ Cubase/ VSTi stuff.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here's the Scoop.

The DP35DP runs better w/ Vista64 ??
XP64 runs well also as far as Boot time and loads go, but lacks the workload placements of Vista.
PLAY is a new sampling engine that works well depending who sets it up.
Seems very powerful but quite unnecessary for my needs. 20,000 samples is just ridiculous and definately something I won't need.
But the OCZ RAM that was CL4 wouldn't post due to it being 2.0 volts. He couldn't change the SPD settings, so G Skill DDR2 800 1.8>1.9 volt CL4 w/ 4 x 2GB sticks won the day.
Funny that he had 2 x 2GB sticks of the OCZ RAM running fine in XP32. The extra GB's he bought was too much for Vista I guess.

More and more I am learning that the best RAM, fastest MoBo, fastest HDD's, blah,blah,blah..don't mean Jack Shit.
The P35/P45 Intel boards will be great boards for a long time. There's no need for a faster CPU, or faster RAM. I actually think the best upgrade is to go 64bit, but not until the need arises, and the apps support it.

One thing I noticed that Gigastudio 4 XP64 works great. GS4 hates Vista 64.
Romplers seem to like Vista 64 better.

These app.'s & O.S.'s act like women and children...very finnicky.
XP32 bit takes a beating nightly and asks for more........Jake LaMotta for sure.

The DDR that worked happened to be the cheapest, and slowest.