Colossus v0_9

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

sharc

Colossus v0_9

Post by sharc »

Colossus is an Electric Piano Device inspired by Kensuguro's incredible Setanta tres patch for the modular. I have to say that when I first heard this patch, I was blown away. I've been wanting to make this for a while now and when I finally got round to it, despite the fact I already had a modular patch to base it on it's not been as easy as I thought to recreate. Colossus is built from scratch (no modular modules in there :wink: ) and features a few alterations & additions to Kens algo. It's still early beta so no parameter readouts or presets just yet. All feedback is most welcome. Enjoy :)

VERSION HISTORY

12/05/08 - Version 0.9

- Fixed Tone controls on EDIT panel
- Added preset capability

Attachments
Colossus_v0_9.zip
Most recent version. Now with Presets
(801.26 KiB) Downloaded 1489 times
Colossus_v0_3.zip
Initial beta. No Presets
(798.23 KiB) Downloaded 1537 times
Last edited by sharc on Mon May 12, 2008 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

now that looks incredible, shroomz!

I don`t know when and if I will need a electric piano but its always great to have different stuff at hands.

thank you !

design wonderful as always. :)
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Can't take the credit here mate, this is sharc's work.
wayne

Post by wayne »

hifiboom wrote:now that looks incredible, shroomz!
...sharc :D

Colossus - nice name. Good alternative to Ken's machine, too. More square-wavy or something.

As usual the interface makes one go "phwwooaaa"
eliam

Post by eliam »

:o whoaaa! Awesome! I'll go try that right away!!! I was thinking just today how I'd love to have a good EP emulation!
JLS

Post by JLS »

very thanks great work :-)
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

GREAT!!!!
I am not that synth-fan but I'm a hughe rhodes fan. An epiano had been announced for scope long time ago, it had been said to come for Noah but it was missing all those years!!! Now - as I said it before - the value of the whole platform raises again significantly with such a device & scope gets new points as an all-in-one-solution!! Yes, O.K. I used samples for my rhodes sounds so far & they sound pretty good, but a well done synth like this has other possibilities & qualities regarding tonal changes with dynamic etc.

One wish for further improvement: I find the decay time is a bit too long. It's like being send through a compressor. Some more control about ADSR would be supercool.

1000 Thanks for this great device!!!

Martin

P.S. I will test it with dynatube also for sure.
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

I know I'm a bad keyboard-player, so just 10 seconds for the sound.

Colossos => Dynatube Fender/Fender low input => B2003 rotor
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

the19thbear

ok

Post by the19thbear »

YEAH!!!! FINALLLY!!! I have allways been dreaming of a good rhodes for scope.. i'm a synth fan, but i think this platform focuses too much on synths..
this is a dream come true!

how dsp hungry is this beast??

thanks!!
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

we are not worthy!

ThaNkS!!!!
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Thanks a lot sharc !!! This is my most awaited SFP device !!!!
I'll try it as soon as possible.

cheers

Michel
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

This device sounds cool, but is far from a Rhodes piano in present stage (or I am missing something in the settings... ?). The closest electric piano sound I'm getting from this is more of a Wurlitzer actually. Interesting anyway.
The vibrato is a Tremolo.

The look is.. WOWWW !!

Thanks for your productivity Sharc.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

well, it wasn't announced to be a rhodes (although "inspired by ... setana tres" could lead to that conclusion :) ), so if it doesn't exactly sound like one, don't be overly surprised :D

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

Nice one sharc, I hope I can find time to try this out next to my mk2 rhodes. Graphics are pretty great. I wish I had time to try out all the crazy devices you guys make but there aren't enough hours in the day! It's great to see the device development scene so healthy though :)

Bifop - as far as I remember, the tremelo was always called 'vibrato' in the suitcase models. Stage pianos of course didn't have this feature at all because there was no integrated amp/speaker.
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

You're totally right concerning the tremolo named vibrato on the rhodes Darkrezin... I should've known since I had a suitcase model in the past (I still have the user's manual somewhere).

Still, I hear a tremolo effect and I propose we call it a Tremato (a Vibrolo would sound too much like a sex toy in my country..) :D
wayne

Post by wayne »

kylie wrote:well, it wasn't announced to be a rhodes (although "inspired by ... setana tres" could lead to that conclusion :)
Colossus? :)
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

Shroomz wrote:Can't take the credit here mate, this is sharc's work.
another time where I didn`t read properly. :lol:

again
thx sharc!
:D
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

No worries hifiboom :D

the19thbear asked about dsp usage. I'm sure sharc can give you accurate figures, but from what I know you'll comfortably get 5 voices on 3 dsps, 10 voices on 6 dsps & 16 voices very very comfortably on a 14/15 dsp card.
sharc

Post by sharc »

Just noticed that I didn't connect up the tone controls on the edit surface :oops: I'll get that sorted for the next update :P

About the name ...despite the obvious reference, I don't think you could ever call this an 'emulation' in the stricter sense as I don't own a rhodes and never have done. That's the sound I'm going for and hopefully it'll be a lot closer by the time we get to v1.0. That said, I'm still having a lot of fun playing around with it, so thought I would share it at this early stage.
One wish for further improvement: I find the decay time is a bit too long. It's like being send through a compressor. Some more control about ADSR would be supercool.
I'm going to be reducing the size of the controls on the edit panel to make space for extra parameters and readouts, so I'll take a look at adding some ENV control Martin :wink:
Still, I hear a tremolo effect and I propose we call it a Tremato (a Vibrolo would sound too much like a sex toy in my country..)
:lol:

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions so far folks. Keep 'em coming. :)
7XL

Post by 7XL »

Bifop wrote:This device sounds cool, but is far from a Rhodes piano in present stage (or I am missing something in the settings... ?). The closest electric piano sound I'm getting from this is more of a Wurlitzer actually. Interesting anyway.
The vibrato is a Tremolo.
I have to agree. I have a 74 Suitcase73, this sounds nothing like it. It does sound good and the degree of flexibility allows for some unique and great pianoesque sounds.

The lower 3 octaves, using an 88 key controller, sounds almost synth like, again not a bad thing, but not very Rhodes like. The overall tone lacks the resonance that a Rhodes has. I am able to get a good emulation of Ray Charles early Wurly tone, a little harsh, but it would work well in a mix.

All in all this is a very good piano/synth emulation.