A few facts (Was from New Ideas for Pulsar Modular)

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

madmod

Post by madmod »

Spirit,
I read your link
http://www.dspdev.com/vbbs/showthread.php?threadid=5
I felt that some of the other developers might like to comment on it
Here are some facts...you make can your own mind up..

{"I would be happey to add DS Synth OSC to Modular 2, but the development platform Creamware gives to the developers is a closed system where you can't create anything else than what Creamware allow you to"}

Yer i would like to see the DS Synth OSC for mod 2 as well. and anything else for that matter,.but there are ways of going about this and i cant say i agree with his methods...

There are synths that are open in scope like the eds14, miniscope, Blue , longverb and other devices Some are closed and need permission. Creamware do open there software up to those who they deem trust-worthy..like John Cooper - He did mods on Big mixer (pink one) EZsynth and the sample player which are closed in scope..
I asked Creamware if i could do some mods on a couple of their closed synths and they had no problem with it as long as i offered them as freeware... if it is so closed how come he can use is own dsp's?
The term closed needs further defining..
There are people whose use the Creamware Scope boards with no Creamware software!!!

Statements like
{"They are doing this just to avoid 3rd party to compete with their Modular 2 offer I think."}

What offer is he talking about ... people developing mod2 stuff would increase creamware's Mod2 sales and anyway Mod2 comes
free with pulsar 2. Now it would of course have to be freeware it is a creamware device!!!!......the rest of that statement is Pure Speculation and warrants no further discussion..

As for
{"They have NEVER released any update, even for the developing for XTC. There are several unofficial versions but when I asked Creamware if I can use them they menaced to suit me".}

1) What about Scope 1.2, Scope 1.31. And now yes there is an pre release version of DP. There are several DP owners who have the pre release with the XTC DP. BTW they all cost 0$
2) After reading that post at his official website (and many others in other forums) im not surprised CW wont give him a Beta DP "Do unto others as you would do yourself" Having said that Nikko has ever right (as do i) to say what ever the hell he likes, but to complain publicly in such a fashion is not going to get him on the beta list......
3) Think of it like this... if Creamware where to make public a beta of Scope DP i would bet my balls that someone would bitch about bugs ...you only have to reflect back to the public Beta Driver release of Win2000 it does not stop there even unsupported Software like XP
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... &forum=1&3 you cant make all people happy... and some people have even complained about bugs in freeware devs "AMAZING"
4) Creamware are very protective of the DP Software and they have every right to be, the Software protection has already been compromised once and that is partly why some third party's have put back their releases. Have u ever seen the movie "Pirates of
Silicon Valley" if you have then you will know what im talking about.
5) There are alot of things going on in the creamware camp like Pulsar 3.1 and the merging of all the creamware software versions (BIG JOB) and also being a user of ScopeSP this excites me, after that i am sure we will see a ScopeDP update, but I understand creamware have priorities as do i..

.As for
{"But there are new things in the air (not Creamware related helas) that show me that the Creamware platform is a technology from
the past... "}
Hmmmmm
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... orum=10&10
dont forget
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... orum=10&36

The Rest is just Nikko opinion..

Nikko has a lot to offer the Creamware Platform lets hope it benefits the platform.
Regards
Madmod

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: madmod on 2002-02-22 00:40 ]</font>
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

This is all good info, but the fact remains that no developer has released anything for the Modular since it went to version 2.
madmod

Post by madmod »

Hi Spirit
yes you are kind of correct,
But what about SpaceF Mod2 NotePad :smile: ,
With all due respect to Space F i know its not exactly an Osc or Filter but it is a device inside the Mod2 . I think that Mendi might be able to answer that better, he did how ever make it.

I have also been told that you can wrap a modular 2 patch.. I Will try it soon when i finnish the project im working on now.

Regards
Madmod

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: madmod on 2002-02-21 19:51 ]</font>