Brass samples

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

carmine

Brass samples

Post by carmine »

Hey everyone,
Any recommendations for brass samples. I've been using SampleTank L, SonicSynth2 and have been checking out Arturia Brass as well. None of these is really doing it for me. Just need some good sections really. Pop,funk, Rnb kind of stuff. Good Sfz, sustains, and falls.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Carmine
dawman

Post by dawman »

Sure Thing Mate,
I have QL Brass, Chronic Horns by J.Miles, and just got First Call's Horns by Big Fish Audio. You can get them in the Akai format to be used w/ STS. First Hall horns are strictly section and solo. No Frank Sinatra / Orchestral stuff, but the QLB has that covered. These samples are acurate, and well recorded / designed. They were made for Gigastudio 3 / GVI. But they were not wasteful w/ the memory. All Saxes and sections, and all trumpet / trombones / piccolo, can be built into custom ensembles in GS3 Orchestra.

Think Blood, Sweat, & Tears.
wayne

Re: Brass samples

Post by wayne »

Well didn't this thread take a bad turn. Bulk spammed.

But anyway, Jim - what are the tubas like in your libraries?

And can you get some raunch out of the general brass?

Sorry carmine, pushing it slightly back on topic :D
carmine

Post by carmine »

No need to apologize.
Yeah that was rather rude actually.

Don't know how that kind of garbage gets through.
Thought we were out of the dark ages.....guess not.

Carmine
dawman

Post by dawman »

Tuba's actually swell better than Bones and Trumpets. I use 'em in my sections. They are from The QL Brass Library.
Try First Call Horns from Big Fish.
Screaming Trumpets for Maynard solo stuff above the sections.
Chris Hein Volume I, I.5, and soon out # II.
I have to mix a few libraries to get a tight section, and the Tuba's although out of their range get the low Bone swells really FAT.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Actually Brotha' Man Wayne I Wish You Would Make A Tuba Sample As An STS.
Many people are looking for those over @ NS forums. I would also love one as your song demonstrated the powerful low end this overlooked instrument possesses.

But I must say the new Chris Hein Horns Volume 2.0 is an amazing instrument. Finally I have a VSTi that allows to rid myself of multiple libraries just to get a decent section sound w/ an above Solo Trumpet ala Bill Chase, Maynard Ferguson, and a mute for the Miles Davis stuff.

Volume 2.0 is Section City. Truly a killer instrument.
The number of Keyswitches is astonishing.
I will use 2 x expression pedals, and 6 x foot pedals via my MIDISolutions FP8.
Instead of having to use note on note off keyswitches manually w/ one hand, I assign the keyswitches, which are note on and note off's, to my FP8. Now when I want to swell all sections simultaneously, and then hit some shakes, or other articulations I just step on a pedal. SWEET...............Now the B2003 or synth part can be played w/ one hand, and the other hand will perform all sections and their corresponding articulations.

This is where Kontackt and Gigastudio really show their power.
Now when I want some kick ass Horn Section, I have finally after 10 years of mix & match, have an all in one solution.